1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28gauge briley companion tubes choked skeet?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sagedog, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sagedog

sagedog TS Member

I just purchased these tubes(28gauge) and shot them a couple of nights ago for the first time. I was hitting targets aways out in 5 station and the tubes are choked skeet. I was using a walmart round 1300 fps 7 1/2 shot. How can this be and it would seem I do not have to buy any additional chokes for five station? This makes no sense to me please chime in with any experiance you may have in this area. The worst thing is to think your doing it right, in truth you were just lucky.

Thanks
    Tom

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Tom, If your refering to shooting on station 5 in skeet using skeet chokes that is fine. You can use skeet chokes in all 8 stations in skeet. Now if your shooting the 28 ga. on staion 5 or post 5 in trap, than I think you just got abit lucky and I would recommend buying a mod. choke to shoot from there. You may even like to buy a IC choke for your 28 ga. as well, as I have a blast with the 28 ga. on short sporting clay courses as well. Break-em all. Jeff

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

28ga is fun isn't it : ) I like IC and Light Mod to shoot sporting..they reach out and crush targets way frther than most folks expect

4. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

I think he's talking about 5 Stand. You do know that Briley will exchange those choke tubes for different choked ones and you only pay shipping? If you feel the need for more choke then get a IC / Modified pair. Its a nice combo...

Terry M.

5. sagedog

sagedog TS Member

Thanks for the input, what you are saying makes more since. Briley makes thin wall chokes for thier tubes I will look into that. As usual I get great info from TS. Yes CalvinMD 28guage was even better than I thought.
    Thanks again
    Tom

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

My wife broke about 19 or so out of 25 with 3/4 of an OZ of 9's at 1200 FPS with my Remington 1100 28ga with a skeet choke. It was her first round she was not shooting them close either. I know a lot of people who didn't break 18 or 19 the first time out a trap with a 12ga and a full choke.
    It's no mistake. The shot string on a 28ga is very short and makes good use of such a small amount of shot. I have never been able to shoot Starlings as far with my 20ga guns as I can my 28ga guns. I know that makes no sense but after killing in the neighborhood of 10,000 starlings a year for over 20 years I know it to be true.

Bob Brister talks about it in his book. The diffrence between a non moving pattern and a pattern shot at 40 miles per hour on a moving pattern board was a mere couple of inches. It was almost as if "what you see is is what you get" on the pattern board.

Anybody that shoots a 28ga a bunch will not be suprised by what you are saying. the gauge just shoots and kills way better then it should. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.