1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28ga STS's with square primer pockets

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mrgcskeet, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrgcskeet

mrgcskeet TS Member

I bought some once-fired (hmmm) 28 guage STS hulls recently. I no longer remember who I purchased them from however --I set them aside for a few months
    before use. When I try to load them with my 9000G, the primer will not seat fully. I've never, ever had one spec of trouble with loading 28's. I deprimed a dozen or so and under a very bright light I can tell that the primer hole in the brass is not perfectly round. In fact, it seems to be squared off. Has anyone ever seen this? I'm assuming they aren't once fired and the guys press did this... or something along those lines. Is there any way I can fix them? Or, should I throw all 500 away.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Try lowering your primer seating ram a bit and see if that solves the problem. I had to do that when I made the switch from AAs to STS and now I can use either at the current setting.....Bob Dodd

3. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I would try Remington primers. Pick up a 100 & see what happens. I also agree about lowering the ram a bit. Om my Mecs,I use different settings for each shell. I use just enough to set the primer flush Tom

4. mrgcskeet

mrgcskeet TS Member

I've already tried lowering the ram and it doesn't work. I currently reload AA's and STS's w/ the same ram setting and generally get by with it. I think I have a few remington primers somewhere... I'll try them. I swear the darn things looks a bit squared off...

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

if you want to sell what you have, drop me an email and let me know what you want for them. There are 3 9000g 28ga loaders in my house, and I have friends with a PW and a Spolar, b/w all of our presses we should be able to make these hulls work.

kolarskeet@gmail.com

6. tj303

tj303 Member

After years of reloading STS 28ga hulls with WW209's with no problems I too started having problems getting the Winchesters to fully seat in new once fired 28 ga STS hulls using the same MEC 9000.

7. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

YOu haven't told us, so I'm assuming you are using the Win209 primers and not the Rem 2089s.

I use Win primers because they feed in my Spolar better....they feed better because they are, in fact, very slightly different that the Rem primers in taper of diameter toward the fire hole.

The first time I load STS with Win primers, they end up just a wee tad higher then 2nd and later reloads. However, it doesn't seem to hurt a thing...they fire just great and the next time the Win's fit flush with the same primer seating settings.

Cheers

8. notarget

notarget TS Member

I had the same problem with STS hulls in my 9000G. The hulls were once fired as I bought them new. Even after lowering the ram neither Winchester nor Nobelsport primers would seat in these hulls. Winchester hulls work fine with any primer. I would appreciate any advice as I have about 400 STS skeet loads on hand and May not be able to reload them.

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Don't the primers go flush at the crimp station?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.