1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28GA.off brand reload data needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fishguts, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishguts

fishguts Member

Hi, over the week-end I was given two big boxes of 28 ga. empties...Rio, Kemen, Nobel and PMC. I've been looking up reloading data for these hulls but it's pretty sparse. Is anyone loading these hulls? and what components are you using?

Thanks

Wayne

2. fishguts

fishguts Member

Hi, over the week-end I was given two big boxes of 28 ga. empties...Rio, Kemen, Nobel and PMC. I've been looking up reloading data for these hulls but it's pretty sparse. Is anyone loading these hulls? and what components are you using?

Thanks

Wayne

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Likely they are all Cheddites. Load them as Fed plastics, Unique, any standard 28 ga wad, 3/4 oz shot. I have loaded barrels of these. Load them twice or so, and let them fly.

4. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Call up Ballistic Products in Minnasota. They have a nice reloading guide especially for these. They also have some wads for these but may not always fill out the case. Worth the money forthe guide. You will use a straight wall wad such as a Federal 28 ga wad. You can use a Rem wad. Just make sure the base is no smaller than the Fed wad. These hulls have thinner walls so need the wider wad base. Most will give 1 to 3 reloads before they split at the mouth or at the crimp where it folds over. Be sure to inspect all cases before each reload. A lot of the loads you do can be treated as Shooting Coach suggested above. I like the very oldest of powders such as Herco & Unique. Been doing 28's for 25 yrs. I always liked the older Rem. straight wall cases best. You may also have to drop a .410 fibre wad in the shot cup section to fill the crimp. Again,see BP in MN. $7-8 bucks for 500.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Make sure you use a wad made for a straight-walled hull. I use the Federal 28S1. If you use a wad made for tapered hulls like AA's, they fit loose, like a Volkswagen in a 2-car garage.

I like Hodgdon Universal Clays, but I'm sure Unique is fine as well.

Winchester or Nobel primers, 3/4 ounces of shot, Federal 28S1 wad, and 14.5 grains of Universal Clays.

Like Shooting Coach said, load them a couple of times, then toss them.

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The Hodgdon reload data site has listings for Cheddite and Fiocchi. Compare the load recommendations for these as well as the Federal case, and use your best judgement. I have had success with the Federal 28S1 wad and the Remington PT28 wad, Longshot powder, and Nobel Sports primers. Some of these European hulls will not hold an American primer tightly. As suggested, load twice then pitch. You may find the thin steel shellhead will sometimes catch the sharp edge of your extractor and tear. I generally reset my extractors when using these reloads.

7. fishguts

fishguts Member

Thank You everyone..........

Wayne

8. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Good information already given, only thing I would add is not to use any of the fine grained powders (HS6, HS7 & their sisters W540 and W571),as they will migrate past the basewad and you will get "poouff" loads.

Michael Goines

9. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I do agree about the fine grain powder. They give great results but do tend to migrate. If you can get a new factory shell like these,cut open. You will be supprised. I cut open a RIO 28. 21.4 grains of a very large flake powder,green Ballistic Products like wad that only /coveredprotected 1/2 the shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.