1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28ga Factory Load Supply

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rdf59, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdf59

rdf59 Member

28 ga is growing in popularity. It has alway been a favorite of fine gun enthusiasts. Now the gun manufacturers (especially the imports) are bringing good ones to the market.
    The problem is that the big players of good reloadable hulls, Win and Rem only produce them a few times a year (as I have been told by dealers). This produces a real shortage given the growth in popularity.
    Are there members of this site that have talked with factory reps for Win and/or Rem and heard from them any plans to increase the production of the 28's in order to keep up with the demand? Or have any of you read anything that covers the near future of the factory supply problem?

2. mtneer88

mtneer88 Member

I have not heard of that issue. I have always found them to be available at my local Cabela's store. I checked and they currently have both available.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I've been told that if there were enough shooters of the 28 that prices would come down. As far as supply, I have not seen a shortage expecially at Walmart, BassPro's etc. I wouldn't be to upset if there was as I have accumulated around 4000 AA HS hulls and will be able to shoot it for years to come. Jackie B.

4. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Best way is to watch for when you can get a rebate with Win. Find the cheapest dealer,buy your five flats of 28,maybe have your shooting buddy that does not shoot .410 buy 5 more at the same time & get the rebate. I ended up with $7 a box total new shells shipped from a long distance. Use a business adress to save some. No sales tax. This is about the cheapest way.

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Here is how I obtain good quality hulls at a good price.

I purchased 5 flats of Winchester .410 gauge shells from Gamaliel for $445.00<BR>
    Shipping was $25.72 for the 5 flats<BR>
    I collected $100.00 from the Winchester rebate.

That makes my net cost $7.41 per box<BR>
    It costs me $4.38 to reload a box<BR>
    My once fired hull cost is 12 cents each.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I gave up on the 28 gauge, it is definitely a reloader's gauge if you shoot a lot...I LOVED shooting my 28 gauge target gun but feeding it was becoming way too expensive for the amount of casual target shooting I was doing. And my local supplier said prices, per flat of Win AA, were going up a few bucks a flat, to $95 plus tax. That was still a better bargain than Walmart or other places but the price of 28 gauge isn't going to decrease year after year, it will only increase (my opinion) and he was having issues getting a consistent supply in....so with that, I switched to shooting 20 gauge and found factory loads that can mimic the 28 gauge's recoil and perform either just as well or better. I'm not a reloader, I just don't have the space to set-up a reloading operation.

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

It is a matter of supply and demand. If more people ahot 28 the demand would go up. The manufacturers would make more to fill the demand and the price would go down as certain efficiencies were reached. That is the only way that prices would go down if supply and demand remain in equilibrium, regardless of the level.

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I don't buy into the supply/demand theory. I think it is more about charging what the market will bear and the lack of suppliers. I cannot believe that it costs twice as much to manufacture and distribute 28 and .410 gauge shells.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

9. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

The ammunitation mfgrs. all "football" 12 and 20 ga shells. It's either get competative or sit on them. They have to make money somewhere. So it's gonna have to be "what the market would bear". It's probably much like when I had a hardware store. We sold Black and Decker electric drills for 129.95. They cost us 124.95. So you tied up a salesperson for about 45 minutes trying to sell a drill. Figure $15.00 per hour labor into that equation, plus heat/air conditioning, lights, taxes, insurance, and other fixed costs of doing business. I think you'll find out that's not a very big money maker. But you had to do it or your customers went somewhere else. The same was true with Energizer "D" batteries. You had to find a way to make your money on other products that you sold. Now I understand Remington has finally said "we're going to make money on ammunition and components or get out of the business". I mean, that's what they are in business for, to make money. If they can't make money, they're soon out of business. It's that simple, they don't run their operations out of the goodness of their hearts. Priced any STS primers lately? The practice of "footballing" only lasts so long until someone gets enough of it. The competition will usually raises their prices "in simpathy", so to speak. In truth, they need to make money too. After all, tooling and equipment doesn't last forever. (CFAA's vs. HS) Then the pendilum swings the other way any it's no longer cost effective to buy factory shells. Back to reloading. I might be wrong, but I think if you watch, this might all play out. Now Jim, you bring out a very valid point. Of course it doesn't cost as much to load a 28 or 410 shell as it does a 12 or 20. If you reload, you know what your costs are per gauge, per shell. In closing, I have understood that someone at Federal has made the statement that if they gave up on 12 and 20 ga target and promotional load, their bottom line would be little, if any, affected. I don't think I'd be jumping up and down to sell my MEC's or P/W's just yet. Just my rant...

10. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Just like going to the country carnival in the summer, the ammo companies are out to screw you in the end!

11. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

They have to make money to stay in business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.