1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28ga AAHS vs old style AA hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rdf59, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdf59

rdf59 Member

What is the reloading life span of the 28ga (also .410) AAHS versus the old style AA?

Is there a concern about the plastic cup at the base coming out?

2. dux4all

dux4all Member

In my experience the AAHS are better than the CF hulls. I load em until they start a pinpoint burn hole on the side and then let em fly. I have some with 20-30 reloads in them and they just keep going.

3. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

I've been amazed how many reloads I can get out of the New HS 28 ga hulls. I have some that are going on 14 & 15 times reloaded and they still work great!

Naturally I have 1 or 2 that don't look good and I throw them away. The vast majority still reload slick and easy and the crimps are good and stay closed!

shoot safely, well and often!

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I am still loading mostly the old ones while I am shooting new HS style factory rounds. In my limited testing the HS hull is 4.5 million times better then the old style hull but you have people that want to hold on to the delusion tjhat older is better. I am down to less then 5000 wads for teh old style cases. When they are gone it will be HS only from then on out. I had old style cases load 10 times but not very often and the crimps were not as strong as an HS that has been loaded 15 times. Jeff

5. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Thanks for your comments. That makes life easier since I am running to the end of the old hulls that I received along with a used MEC 650 that I bought. I have been stocking on the HS hulls (whenever I find them) due to the Winchester rebate.

6. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

What wad should I use for the 28 Gauge Remington STS hull?

John

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have had a lot of problems with the 410 and 28 ga brass splitting and holes in the side of the hull. I'm only getting eight reloads with the 28 hull and even less with the 410. Jackie B.

8. esetter

esetter Active Member

The only problem with the HS hulls is you have different lengths because they changed them over time. You have to adjust your crimp to the different length hulls.

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

esetter is correct.

It also means you must SORT them damn things when buying cases and then keep them segregated. Still, I love the "little gun".

I have about a case of old style AA28 wads if anyone is interested in some. They should not be used in HS hulls but work well in the older AA hulls and STS/Peters hulls. PM for info.

Don Verna

10. DanLee

DanLee Member

Since I started using 5/8 oz in the 28 gauge, I no longer sort the two versions of the HS hull. As for longevity, it all depends on which batch of plastic the old CF hulls were made of. The HS doesn't last as long as the longest-lived CFs, but it's way more consistent.

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

aa huls vs aahs hulls

old aa hs verses new aa hs 28ga