1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28" or 30"?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pull & Mark, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Trappy12, Yes in my opinion a 30 inch barrel is the best all around lenth barrel for todays shooting. I shoot mine for skeet, sporting clays, and for trap doubles as well. I like my 525 sporting(30") very much for all 3. I know, I know!!! You like the 625. Most skeet shooters I see today have gone to the 30 inch barrel. Remember that in trap most shooters swing the gun with their hips, but in skeet you swing the your hips around with your legs to get a fuller and wider swing. I would only recomend the 32 inch barrel in skeet to a shooter that has a large musclular type build. At your age your mucles have not had alot of time to start to build yet, even though they may be done growing. Good Luck and let us know what you do. Break-em all. Jeff

2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

You should be asking 30" or 32"? 28" barrels are no longer the fad in skeet. You will have more control with 30" barrels if you are a novice. If you shoot alot, 32" barrels are a touch tougher to manage on skeet, but better for longer birds on a real sporting course. Longer site plane, smoother swing, however 32" barrels are not needed in skeet. Which game will you shoot more?

3. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I like my 32 Cynergy Sporting. I use it mostly for Sporting clays. I do used it for Trap and skeet. My Trap guns are Bt99 34" and a XT 32". So long barrels work well for me. The Cynergy and a Beretta 682 feel good at the 32" lenght. But for the 525 and 625 the 30" barrels feel more balance for me. I wanted a 32 625 and ended up with a 30". The 625 is a nice gun, but with the wider recever compair to the Cynergy and Beretta 682 I had to go with the 30" 625.
    I realy think that the 30" would be the best all around barrel lenght.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Trappy- Any chance we can change your mind on another point. I suggest that you first consider shooting trap doubles. After you have the doubles game down, then branch out to skeet and sporting clays. Trap doubles are challenging, fun and can be shot in less time than handicap.

Pat Ireland

5. JonP

JonP Member

30"

Jon

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think most people shoot a longer barrel than they should because the big boys do

I have seen this time and time again- my imput;

you would shoot much better with a 28 inch for skeet and sporting both and on the used market- probably more reasonable to find one

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

GO 30 Trappy,skeet requires a pretty fast and exagerated swing compared to trap--sometimes the longer bbls are hard to start--they are also hard to stop and that would help with follow thru ,but 30 are plenty long enough--any longer than 30 or less than 28 would be a disppointment for you I'm afraid. I've seen some old Brownings with 26 in bbls. and I have some short bbl guns that are also VERY lightweight with fairly short bbls and they are a pain to keep from stopping the swing. Good luck skeet will teach you more about how to shoot a shotgun than any other game and is a definite plus if you want to become a good wingshot.

8. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Comp 1, I mean no disrespect to your comment

"skeet will teach you more about how to shoot a shotgun than any other game and is a definite plus if you want to become a good wingshot."

but, I do differ in my opinion.

I think the words "sporting clays" should be substituted for "skeet" then the statement would be closer to reality.

9. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

Barrel length is important but the guns design is equally important. Some are slow and some are fast. Brownings tend to be quick and so do Perazzi's. Kolars can be slower depending on the barrel bore selected. A 32 inch Perazzi will swing faster then a 30 Kolar with .740 bores. A kriegoff is generally a bit slower then a Perazzi. The speed depends on the forward weight of the gun. The heavier it is in the front, the slower it will be. This factor is as important as barrel length.

Once you select the guns you are interested in, swing them and you will be able to better tell barrel length.

I do believe the trend to longer barrels will continue. I wouldn't consider anything under 30 inches though for anything other then maybe for hunting.

Mark Zauhar

10. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I agree Comp 1, but skeet is more accessible than sporting, and cheaper. I run a volunteer gun club on Wednesday nights. We have a skeet field, but just started a 5 stand set up last year. A lot of skeeters were somewhat frustrated till we made it easier, then we gradually made it harder, harder, and harder. Now they are one bunch of dove slaying SOB's! They just needed to get "outside the box" and open their horizons. Our whole club is more open to new games now.
    Fun!

11. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Bender made it clear that 32 in barrels were for the bigger folks. In his video he said anything from 28 to 32 in would be fine depending on the size and strenth of the shooter. Bender is a big man well over 6 feet and 250 lbs.

For a small elderly person, 28 inch would be the best choice.

Barrel length is a fad. Bender shot for many years with shorter barrels and broke records. He hasn't done any better with the longer barrel. The "self fulfilling prophecy" dictates one will see improvement with changes that they think will help. One needs to compare hundreds of thousands of rounds with different lengths in order to prove a case. Most folks pick a barrel length by listening to others just as you are doing with your questions. When the fad is long barrels then most advice will be long barrels. IMHO, the odds of 30 or 32 inch being too long for your needs is greater than 28 inch being too short.

12. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Jim, I didn't know Bender shot trap. He normally shoots skeet and his video is for skeet shooters. I was addressing the comments someone made about Bender, what he shoots and why. Trap shooting obviously is different.

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Trappy12, I haven't waded through the whole thread here but the length of your new O/U is too personal an item for us to advise you about. Some guys built like college football tight ends are shooting 32" and even 34" barrels in the disciplines you're interested in but I, for one, could never get a gun like that moving well. I have 2 sets of barrels for my M.32 Trap O/U; 30" imp.mod. and full for trap doubles and 28" barrels with choke tubes for skeet, 5 stand, and sporting. I've shot the short barrels at Trap doubles and shot exactly the same scores I average with the 30" set. I've tested 32" barrels at Trap and did poorly. IMHO, you should test drive as many possibilities as you can get your hands on and see if one set of barrels could serve your needs better than others. I also agree with your early idea of looking for a sporting gun that will serve your primary games first and will at least permit you to shoot others. In my case, the trap gun works best for me.....breakemall...Bob Dodd

14. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

O.K.,I agree that sporting clays ,if shot the right way at the right targets will teach you all you need to know about shotgun shooting,but so will skeet if you shake the game up---try a round of all doubles;try a round of international style skeet with gun down and delayed or instant target presentation,try it with a trap gun,try shooting it backwards starting with station 8--Anything you can shoot OTHER than trap will help you become a better shotgunner. Skeet has the reputation and deservedly so, of being the easiest game to shoot well. The reason: most skeet champions shoot a form of MAINTAINED LEAD . This works spectacularly on targets of KNOWN distance and flight path,but it is sickenly MECHANICAL. kINDA LIKE SHOOTING TRAP BY ALWAYS PUTTING THE BEAD ON THE TARGET AND SHOOTING SLOWLY. Try that on a quail,station8 low house or trap doubles and let me know how that works for you.

15. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I still shoot my 28" Beretta O/U in skeet & trap. I see abosolutly no reason to change bbl lengths for any reason other than to "fit" in. Shoot what fits you and what you score consistanly with, not what someone else thinks you should use. If you can rent or borrow a 30/32" bbl gun and shoot skeet/trap/clays with it, then you can see if its what you want to go up to.
    Heck I am the only one out here who uses a SXS as well for trap and still shoot 23-25 regularly, same as my O/U, fit is what counts!

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

This depends. One of the best shots I ever saw was a high school girl with a 34" Perazzi. She was petite, but in good shape and DRIVEN.

I like the 30" barrel. If you are the typical young athlete, you can easily handle the 30" gun. The 32's are good, but can get ponderous at the end of the day.

The 28's are like a broom stick. BTW, Todd shoots a 32 incher with short tubes in his Skeet gun. He shoots a TRUCK AXLE!

A pure skeet gun can handle like a floor joist and be good to go. If you are going to shoot different disciplines, the 30" gun will serve you well.

17. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

For what its worth, Barrel lenght is trivial. If your not reading the bird properly, It won't matter what your pointing with. Screw chokes make up the differnce. Last year I got caught with out my sporting clays gun. I used my Rem 1100 28 ga, 26" skeet gun and I used #9 shot reloads. Shot 76 out of 100. I say 28" or 30" max barrel lenght. Dave T.

18. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Take a short pencil and point at something. Now take a long pencil and do the same thing. The long pencil will be smoother, and more precise. Same deal with guns, but you have to deal with the weight. A 28" gun is good for hunting quail or grouse for quick shots, but a 30 " (O/U) is smoother. A lot of people will struggle with to push 32" gun on skeet despite the known target presentation of the game. The long sighting plane is not the problem, it is the weight.

19. old school

old school TS Member

I AGREE WITH THE LONG BARRELS. BUT IF AGE IS AN ISSUE IF YOU ARE IN YOUR UPPER YEARS 80 OR SO LONG BARRELS ARE NOT THE ANS, I AM 80 AND LONG BARRELS ARE NOT THE IN THING. (AKA OLD SCHOOL)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

28 inch or 30 inch barrel for skeet

28 or 30 inch barrel for trap shooting

30 or 28 for trap shooting

30 or 32 inch barrellsfor all round use

30 or 32 inch for trap doubles

what barrel lenght for skeet and sporting