1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 Guage Pheasant Loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kolar12, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolar12

kolar12 Member

What is your favorite hand load for pheasant? I loaded 15.4 grains of Longshot in a STS hull, Remington primer, Remington Wad and copper 6s. Chronographed them yesterday and had 150 fps extreme spread. Also, the velocity was 1150 instead of 1250. Considering it was 80 degrees out, I was not too happy with the results. Any better loads out there? Gary

2. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

I have tried a bunch of different loads. 1 oz at maybe 1100, 7/8 at 1200 but I think the most effective for me is 3/4 oz of 5.5 nickel plsted shot at around 1300. I use a Red Label with 26 inch barrels and an IC and M choke. Seems to work about as well as a 28 can be expected to. I really like the light weight and quickness of the little gun, makes a tough day in the field quite a bit easier.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I haven't had very good results with shooting shot larger than #7 1/2 out of my 28 gauge. But I can tell you that the standard 3/4 oz load of #7/12 @ 1,200 FpS will cleanly take a rooster if you limit the range to about 25 yards. A good pointer and some patience will help bring that together.

Realistically, a good rooster set up is a 12 gauge auto using 1 1/4 OZ #5 lead @ 1,250 FpS. Kind of hard to mimic that level of performance with the smaller gauges.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I always considered the Super Pigeon load (3 1/4 X 1 1/4) as minimum for that chore.

You would definitely be limited to 25 yards or so with the 28.

I dearly love the 28 and have hunted with it for over 40 years. I shot a 410 in my youth, but the 28 will vastly outperfrom the 28 in the field.

In the hands of one who has been shooting 12 and 20 in the field, the 28 tends to be disappointing until its limits are understood.

I prefer 3/4 oz of either copper plated 5's or 7 1/2's in a full choke at over 1250 for harvesting ANY game.

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Forget the hand loads and buy the Super-X Winchester 1 oz Field loads in #6 or #7 1/2. Jeff

6. hot springs

hot springs TS Member

Bigbore 613
    Your are exactly right. That 1oz. load works great in my 28 with modified and improved modified chokes up to 30 yds. I have been surprised how far a clean kill can be made with 1 oz. and a full choke. In a lot of instances, you're shooting a bigger payload than the other guy hauling a 20 gauge around. The AA sporting clays load in 71/2's is a lot faster and just eats up rising birds with a quick mounting 28. Just leave them at hom when the winds really blowing.

7. kolar12

kolar12 Member

So if I were to stay with the 28, does anyone have a handload they prefere? Actually, my wife uses it and has dropped a fair number of birds with it. Am looking primarily for favorite powders. We have tried the 1oz Win loads and they do work well.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have a friend who shot for dog trials for many years. This is one of the highest stress shooting venues you can imagine.

You just are not supposed to miss, because it creates havoc with the dogs.

He practiced on the skeet field, but from 30 yards rather than the 20 yard standard distance. With 3/4 oz of shot.

But When he shot the trials he Used AA Super Handicap 7&1/2.

He was good enough to be invited to shoot the Canadian National, at 74 years old.

HM

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

kolar, I've tried the only 7/8oz load that made sense to me in the book without buying a lot of weird components was: Fed Hull, 19.5gr of H-7, Rem 209P, Rem PT28 wad. I used 7 1/2 shot. Works great with a IC/MOD combo. I had some federal hulls I saved, and just had to buy H-7 powder. It's a tight fit. I take a big gun on wild birds, but this murderizes preserve birds at good yardage. If your using a pointer, hopefully you'll get close enough (25-30 yards max). Personally, I'd hate to lose or wound a wild bird.

10. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Look up the 7/8 load using Lil' Gun powder and B.P. wad. It speaks with authority.

jim brown

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.