1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 gauge

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I'm saving my money for a 28 gauge, but i have been buying shells so when i get the gun I won't be shell broke. I have been buying winchester aa's and remington sts sporting clays. the question I have are these good shells or is there one thats better than the other. I bought a flat of each at wallmart for 6 dollars a box...I could not pass up the deal.

I also have 500 estate hulls in 28 gauge are thes good to reload when the time comes....I have a chance to buy more at a great price from someone who doesn't reload them.

any help would be great

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of Estate hulls. Both AA and STS are great shells and you will end up with great hulls to reload.

Six bucks a box is roughly half what some of my friends pay that don't reload. Reloads cost me around $3.25/box.

3. Basicdesignmachine

Basicdesignmachine TS Member

AA's in 28 are the best. They will reload 10 times, Rems will only reload 3 or 4 times.

4. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

thank you both for the response

5. 31 Pump

31 Pump TS Member

The AA HS hulls are great. You can reload them many times. The Remingtons are okay but can't load as many times.

Glenn

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Follow the reloading data to the tee with the 28 ga.'s. I like to load all the same hulls so I can buy just one type of wad. I don't think that they make
    a wad for the Win. AA HS that will work with the STS and the Fed. Hull as well. Life's to short to reload steel base Estate's. "If you do"
    load once and throw away, and only use if you get them for free. Good Luck and Break-em all. JEff

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The AAHS 28 hull is the one you want for reloading. STS, a distant second, forget everything else. Now a contradiction will be forthcoming but if you really get into the 28, I'll bet you will come to this conclusion as well.

8. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

The HS AA's will outlive everything out there, unless you just bought them recently though, go thru and make sure all are the "long" hull. Shorts measure about 2.600" and the longs about 2.665+". That .065" WILL make a difference. It's easy to find the shorts, just stack them all on a table, standing up, it's pretty easy to find the short ones.

I don't care much for the STS, but they'll get you by. They'll load and break a target but certainly nothing to write home about. I do think the Nitros load better, I don't know why.

Now the Estates, they are Federal hulls and they are the least painful to load, make the prettiest load and when new, will outpattern (thru my gun) the others.

The rub is-----they have a paper basewad, if those you have, have been wet then I don't know that I would bother with them. You also need to take a random sampling every load and make sure the basewad is in good/decent shape. The basewad in the 28's don't do like the 12's, these will tend to burn up more than fragment. I've loaded many, many times and have yet to toss one. If they were free for the taking, they'd be my pick, hands down.

Stay with published recipes, to the letter, on the 28.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.