1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 gauge tubes in 20 gauge guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hunter44, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I had Briley fit 28 & 410 tubes to my 525 20 gauge a few years ago. I have had no problems.........they work great for me.

2. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

Never have had a problem with tubes cracking in any gauge. A lot of discussion has been brought up in the past Using International & green dot powders in 20 gauge tube guns... too much pressure... I've always used Universal powder for my 20 gauge needs. as far as 28, I've never had any problems using Universal, Longshot, Unique.. best

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Other than to meet the requirements of registered skeet, what is the advantage of 28 gauge over 3/4 ounce 20 gauge loads?

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Something magical about 3/4 oz in a 28 ga! May be the most efficient loading ever devised by man.

5. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

13grains of Unique in the 28 with 3/4 oz of shot at 1200fps now that's magic. Heck my 410 loading requires 14.5 of 296 to get the same velocity with 1/2oz.

I think there is some real magic going on with the 28 and it hammers targets with real authority! Phil S.

6. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

a lot of good mojo with a 28 ga, 3/4 oz on a skeet field or doves or quail over dogs. perfect sub gauge

7. Bridger

Bridger Member

If you don't reload or just want the added weight the tubes will provide, its a nice addition. I had them in a Browning 525 and liked the feel of the tubes. If you do reload the 3/4 ounce 20 gauge is great and works just as well as a dedicated 28 gauge. I did not have any problem with the tubes when I owned the gun, sold it to a friend and its still going strong. I did ask Briley about it once and their response is the same as what you have already been told. Keep the pressure to the level of a factory shell and you will be fine.

8. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

The only time I have heard of 20ga. tube splitting was when people use Green Dot. I've always used 540 in 28ga. and still have a bunch but when it runs out I believe HS-6 is the same thing. It will make a 28ga. break a target like a real gun. Larry

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

While Briley did have some issues with cracking in the chambers with the 20 ga. tubes at the squared corner where it was inlet for the built in ejector into the tubes, Briley fixed all tubes when they were returned to them for nothing. Even if you did not buy the tubes from them. As long as they made those tubes for that gun and barrel. So go right ahead and have Briley fit some tubes to your 20 ga gun (they are covered by Briley) and have some real fun shooting that 28 ga. and pull some hair out shooting the 410's as well. LOL As said above there is just something magical about the 28. It truely patterns like perfection. I do suggest that you spend the extra few dollars and get the Ultimate Ultra Light tubes from Briley. These tubes are the lightest tubes they make and also have the strait rifleing down the tubes as well. I have all three with this rifleing and they pattern much better than a smooth bore barrel for whatever reason. I believe it keeps the wad from spinning down the barrel and makes for a better pattern. You will also need to have them do a trigger job on your gun for the 410's second shot to reset the trigger. I also suggest you get a barrel weight so that when you shoot your 20 ga. without the tubes in your gun, it is the same weight and feel when you use it with the tubes in. I had my 525 gun done so go ahead. Also While Briley had my gun open to fix the trigger I had them do a annual on the gun. They did it for a reduced price since the gun was already apart for the trigger fix. Talk to Gary Singer when you give them a call. Good Luck and Break-em all.Jeff

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"May be the most efficient loading ever devised by man."

Wazzat mean?

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"on initial impact, actually have more shot hitting with a 28 than a 12."

What the heck does that mean??? English please. I don't speak voodoo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

20 gauge with 28 gauge tubes

28 ga tubes in 20 ga gun

28 gauge tubes for a 20 gauge

problem with 28 ga tubeds in 20 ga