1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 Gauge STS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Todd1, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd1

Todd1 TS Member

How many reloads can I expect to get with 28 gauge STS Hulls, 13.0 grains of 20/28 powder, Red Duster wads and 209 primers?

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

3-5 good reloads, then relegate the hull to practice loads until the crimp folds fail.

3. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

Good luck getting a decent crimp with that wad. I love the STS hulls, but I've never had a good crimp unless I used Remington factory wads.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Todd, listen to Bob. That's exactly what I do as well. I shoot-em till the petals fly off. They also crimp just like factory with that wad as well, as long as you are throwing the correct amount of shot and machine is adjusted correctly. Have not tried the 20/28 yet, I use Universal Clays myself. My be I'll try some if I like/and can find good data. Enjoy, your going to really love shooting the 28's. By far my favorite ga. to shoot. Good Luck and Break-em all.

5. chrisg

chrisg Member

Not anywhere near what you would get with a Win AA hull. I won't waste my time with the junk STS's anymore. The make a good 12 and 20 gauge hull but their 28 ga hull is garbage.
    c.g.

6. GI

GI Member

Pull & Mark,
    How many grains do you use with Universal Clays?

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

GI, I use 13 grains in the old stlye hulls with the AA clones. l0,800 psi at 1,200 fps. If you keep the pressures as low as possible you get more loads out of your hulls. Break-em all. Jeff

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

HS 28ga hulls will load 15 times and still look better then a 3 times reloaded STS. The STS should be better then it used to be but make sure you don't buy a bunch of old ones as the size was very inconsistent. I have not loaded any in many years do to that but I am assuming they got that fixed. if you lined up 20 of them on the reloading bench it looked like the skyline of any major city. The first hull would give you a perfect crimp and then the next would be all pushed in since the hull was longer then the previous hull.

I had to batch size about 1000 empties and set the loader up two different ways to get through them. I kept them and used them up rather then to pass the problem off on somebody else. The Winchester AA HS is the only way to go. 28ga hulls are expensive. Why would you settle for 4 or 5 reloads when you could get 15 to 20? I did a test on the HS years ago where I reloaded and fired the same box until the failure rate increased. I had 21 shells in the box at 22 reloadings. They were dirty but the crimps were still strong enough to give me the stated velocity over the chronograph. The two hulls are so far apart I have no idea why anybody would load STS hull with the cost of 28ga hulls. Jeff

9. emm2

emm2 Member

I load both hulls and the HS hull will last longer than the STS but SuperXJeff is full of shit. HS hulls will not last 15-20 reloads.

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

if they won't last 15 reloads then you are doing something wrong. I load mine routinely 15 plus times. It's not a matter of being full of shit it is a matter of firing 12 to 15,000 rounds of 28ga ammo a year. I know what they will do because I do it. If you did it as much as I do it you would know what I am saying is true. Jeff
    [​IMG]

11. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I had this same discussion with a gentleman on the skeet field over the weekend. He runs STSs through his K gun, and I put AAHS into my new Spaghetti scattergun.

He says he gets about 7-8 loads out of his STSs with a relatively low pressure load. I am still trying to find a recipe that I like and haven't yet burned through the 4 flats of factory new ammo I bought for hull stock.

The important thing to note in all of this is that I shot a clean line in 40 mph winds in front of a full squad, and smoked the hell out of every rock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

28 g sts