1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 Gauge STS vs New AA hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I've read there is two new 28 gauge HS hulls, with the most recent having the hull height changed in recent production runs.

When the first HS line of shells came out, changes had to be made to your reloader as the height was changed. If you wished to change brand of hulls, another change was required. The reloading community was not happy.

I'm still loading the old style so I don't know if this information is correct. I recently read this in a magazine article and I presume the author knows of what he speaks. He did say it was an unannounced change.

In any case, the HS hulls in the 20 and .410 seem to reload forever and I presume the same can be said for the 28. I'm very happy with the HS .410.

2. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Before I bought a 28 and loader I asked around.Everybody I talked to that loads 28 said they prefered the STS.

Darr

3. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Before I bought a 28 and loader I asked around.Everybody I talked to that loads 28 said they prefered the STS.

Darr

4. gussy

gussy TS Member

I bought a couple hundred AA HS 28 gauge hulls from you a few months ago and they are on the sixth loading and still looking good. The best I ever got with STS hulls was three loadings. You do need to use the HS wad or equivelent though where as most any wad will work in the STS. If you want to sell any more of the HS hulls I'm interested.

Greg

5. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Earl, I'd be interested in discussing the STS's with you if you decide to keep the AA's.

No value judgment on either hull; I just reload the STS's and don't load the AA's.

Tony

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The HS hulls seem to last longer, but they like WSF, or HS-6. I have not been impressed with LOUDSHOT in the smallbores. WSF delivers superior performance in the 20 and 28, giving the right volume for these hulls. 13.5 gr WSF or 17.5 gr HS-6 with 28 HS wad (claybuster) and W-W, Nobel or Chedddite primer with the traditional 3/4 oz shot load.

If you want to load Universal Clays or Unique, load the remmy hulls. They simply have more room for these bulky powders. Of the two, I prefer Unique, having loaded Hercules then Alliant powders for many decades.

7. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The AA HS hulls have a consistent reputation for getting more reloads. That said, I use the STS hulls. When I started the choices were the STS or the then new HS (short) hull. The HS hull gave me fits with all the reloading machine adjustments I had to make and the difficulty in getting all the components to fit, so I went with STS. They may not last as long, but I destroyed far fewer hulls in reloading them. I may give the newer (longer) HS 28 ga hulls a chance at some point. On a side note, I am finding the new Alliant 20/28 powder excellent in the 28 ga, and may be the one new item to get me to try the AA HS hulls again.

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

if you want to sell either, drop me an email @ kolarskeet@gmail.com with pricing and quantities.

9. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

Dumb question - How can you tell which ones are the new (longer) AA HS vs. the older (shorter) AA HS that is giving everyone fits reloading without shooting them and then measuring the hull? I am loading STS's now only because I didn't want to buy new cases of the AA HS that were the short ones. Maybe all of the old ones are off the shelves by now.

10. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Red power!

I've been reloading the same 300 AAHS hulls this summer, and they've been reloaded 5 or 6 times, and I expect at least three or four more reloads out of them. These are the newer AAHS hulls, that are a little longer. No problem reloading Universal with Rem and Claybuster AAHS clone wads. Unique works fine with the Claybuster wads too. Unique is a little tight with the Win AAHS wad.

~Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

28 gauge remington sts hulls vs winchester aa hulls

aa vs aahs short and long

is it aright to use aa wads in a remington sts hulls

wad for 28 gauge sts hull