1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 Gauge STS Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Todd1, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd1

Todd1 TS Member

How many reloads can I expect to get with STS Hulls, Claybuster CB5034-28HS wads and 13 grains of Unique? Thanks,Todd

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Todd, DO NOT LOAD THE STS HULL WITH THE WIN. AA HS. WADS. Use only the Win. AA regular wad, no HS. Their are a few other wads to pick from as well. Second you will get 4-8 loads with them depending on the powder you chose. I do not know anyone that uses Unique, so not positive on that. Make sure you find the proper reloading DATA for any load you make. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Why not us the HS wad? The HS wad is pretty close to the factory loaded PT28.

4. Pull & Mark

Mrskeet410, because I cannot find any data at all with the Win.AA HS wad in any STS hull or old style Win. AA hull. Only data with Newer Win. AA hull HS takes the HS wad. Without data I will not load any hull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 410 shells have very high pressures to start with, so no substitutions!!!!!!!!! Good Luck Todd. Break-em all. Jeff

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Alliant lists it with 20/28 on the web data. They don't list the WAA28 with Unique.

6. Pull & Mark

Did you look at the pressures on that only load with that wad (wrong powder), @ ll,620 psi. I love the duster wad and keeping the pressures down. Hodgdon's website has no loads with the HS wad in either the STS or the old style Win. AA hull with any powder they make!!! I find alliant's website lack of info terrible. Hodgdon's website lists so many more different components and keeps up to date with the new primers and wads, so much better than Alliant. I would love to buy an American powder, but until they update their website I will stay with Hodgdon's products. All Good and Break-em all. Jeff

7. skeezix

skeezix Member

I have screwed up on occasion and stuffed an claybuster - HS wad into a AA compression formed hull (usually if a stray comp. formed hull gets into my spent hulls) - really, really tight fit I'm not sure it even seats on the powder. I would not try to shoot one. pressures are just too high.

Stick with the PT28 wads or the non- HS claybuster wads, I think the PC blue wad is fine also.

The HS wads are meant for straight wall cases - not tapered hulls like the rems or older comp. formed AA's.

john

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have never undestood why anybody uses anything but Unique. Best powder I have ever loaded in the 28ga. I have loaded maybe 125,000 rounds of 28ga with Unique so I guess I know it pretty well. 13 grains with an old style AA@28 wad and a Wionchester or remington Primer in either an old style AA28 or ann STS. The Winchester primers have to be forced into the Remington STS 28ga hulls the first time as they are a little bigger. The new style wad in the new style case works well with the same load. The new hulls is much bigger though and a bulky powder makes a nicer reload. I guess about a million guys besides me like the Hodgdon powders for the 28. Unique used to be a little cheaper and the pressure was lower and I liked that as the emtys didn't go as far. When shooting in a dairy with cow shit/slurry everywhere emties that don't go far are nice. The over and under was a better chice but nothing murders Starlings like a full choke 28ga 1100 Sporting. I just do not know what is not to like about Unique. Dirty? In an autoloader? Maybe... hard to tell as guns are dirty aftyer you fire 750 rounds in a few hours. ZJeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reloading 28 gauge rem sts shells

using claybuster hs wads in sts
waa28 wad in sts hulls
wad for 28 gauge sts hull