1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 gauge shooters field loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by luckyshot, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luckyshot

luckyshot TS Member

i am going to start using a 28 this fall to bird hunt. quail and pen raised pheasants at my club. what factory shells do you guys use that perform well.
    i wont buy a loader right away, so i need some suggestions. thanks in advance. tim [luckyshot]

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Forget the 1 ounce load unless you want to run down and watch it hit the bird. They go less then 1100 FPS. I load 3/4 of oz of copper #6's buffered. I like the Federal hulls for hunting since they are deeper. factory loads? factory Federal premium 3/4 of OZ of copper 6's. They go 1375 and just whack birds. Leave the 7'1/2's at home. they are junk in a 12 and equally junk in a 28ga. Well.... If you want a rooster with 100 holes in it then go ahead. I like to eat my pheasants. Jeff

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would use the same load that our current Vice President uses. He has experience hunting with a 28 ga shotgun.

Pat Ireland

4. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Definitely #6 or larger otherwise; birdburgers!

Less is best.

Even 12 ga 1oz hit them like a bat.

5. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Longshot and #7's or #6's, 3/4oz is plenty on pen raised birds, especially behind a good pointer.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You were asking about factory ammo, get the Winchester AA28HS target load (#8 shot prefered) for quail and then try Remington Express or Federal Wingshock for the bigger birds. 3/4 Oz of #7 1/2 or #6. cheaperthandirt.com has a pretty good selection of 28 guage ammo at reasonable prices. Generally you won't find much of a selection of 28 guage ammo in retail stores.

I haven't had good luck with shot sizes larger than #7 1/2 in the 28 guage or with shot charges greater than 3/4 Oz. Pen raised birds are well within the capabilities of the 28 guage even with #71/2 shot.

7. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I have had alot of luck with Estate 23/4" 3/4oz 6's for everything from Hungarian's, Sharpies, and Ditch Parrots so far this season. When the wind comes up and it will I will go back to shooting a 12 with appropriate feed. I just love the 28 from 1 Sept till the weather gets hard.
    Go Well
    Wayne

8. luckyshot

luckyshot TS Member

thanks for the info guys! tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.