1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 gauge progressive reloader

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 24 straight, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 24 straight

24 straight TS Member

Has anyone had experience with a 28 gauge P/W progressive reloader in 28 gauge? Another post mentioned trouble with the progressive P/W in .410. And before I buy one I would like to know if any of you have had trouble loading the 28. Thanks for your input, 24 straight

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

In my opinion a Grabber is the best bet.

Reason: the smaller diameter hulls in and auto indexing loader have a tendency to shake and to spill shot into the guts of the machine. The ensuing mess and cleanup leads to drinking, which leads to arguing with wifey, which leads to not going to the next shoot.

Use a Grabber or even a single stage and avoid problems.

HM

3. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

I have an old 28ga grabber for sale 125.00 + Shipping. It works well I sold my skeet gun and don't have a use for it any more.

Fred J

4. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I'm back with the same basic comments that i made on the 410 reloader. I did have better luck w/ a MEC Grabber for the 28 gauge. I would never own another PW progressive unless you are a machinest!That is why you see so many for sale.

I use the PW 375 setup w/a 410 and 28 gauge tool set and just switch: not a big deal. They make excellent shells!I mainly shoot small gauges for skeet and i also use a RCBS for both 20 and 12ga.

5. todd farris

todd farris TS Member

Never used a mec progressive. Have heard many good things about them. I have a Hornady 366 and am quite happy with it. The only issue I have had is with older shot getting stuck in the drop tube. Seems the oxidation allows them to stop up the tube easier.

good luck
    todd

6. tgene

tgene Member

I use a PW 800+ and it works fine, no problems. I have loaded hundreds of 28 gauge shells. The biggest problem is the life of the hulls, I can get many more loads out of winchester hulls compared to remington... gene

7. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

For Digger1dog: Is that 28 ga. grabber an 8567 or the old 762R? Ron

8. esetter

esetter Active Member

Fred, If your loader is the newer grabber I'll take it. Contact me at esetter5@roadrunner.com

9. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

I have a 28ga 800+. I have loaded around 20,000 rounds with good results. I would buy another without any second thoughts. I also have an 800+ in 20ga at around 20,000 and a Platinum 2000 in 12ga at around 80,000. I previously loaded 12 and 20 on Mec grabbers. The Mec's were OK but I like the PW's better, they seem to operate a little easier. I did try a Hornady 366 in 28ga first, but did not like it at all. Your results may be different.

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have been using a Hornady 366 for the past 10 years. No problems. I own about eight reloaders (including a P/W 900 Elite) and prefer to load on the Hornady 366. I still load my .410's on a MEC 600 Junior because I have more control over each operation. The .410 can be a problem on the progressive loaders due to lack of hull alignment. I would guess that the P/W has the edge over the Hornady 366 on keeping the hull vertically alligned but this is not an issue with the Hornady 366 in 28 gauge.

Jim Skeel

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I have loaded many shells on Mec presses. They are very good. But you must follow the golden rule of hand loading. If the handle is harder to pull than normal, find out why before you complete the stroke. HMB

12. kgunner

kgunner TS Member

Have a PW in each gauge and they are absolutely great. Owned several MEC's and they just don't compare. One piece of advice I learned from the factory about the new Winchester HS 28 gauge hulls. Do not try to use a regular or HS Winchester wad as they will not work properly. A Remington wad will, for whatever reason, give you a perfect reload every time.

13. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I am getting great results with the Claybuster HS 28 ga. wad. The original Winchester HS wad had an over-sized over powder wad and was hard to use. IMHO Ron

14. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

Gun1357:

It is the older model still available

15. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Thanks. I've got the older model also. Looking for an 8567 to adapt to my auto-mate. Ron

16. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

For 28ga wads in HS hulls I have by far the best results with Federal 28S1. They are hard to find and rather pricy but have worked best for me. I would take Remingtons as my second choice.

17. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

The Federals are certainly the most versatile 28 ga. wad. I had powder migration problems using Remington wads in the HS hulls. Using larger flake powders instead of ball type might help. I just can't beat the price and results I get from the Claybuster HS. IMHO Ron

18. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I have a Spolar which is not a PW but they do share some basic characteristics such as the steel hull dies.

I load 28 ga with impunity...crank them out beautifully.

I am thinking about getting a 410 tool set for the Spolar but this is the point at which I get a little nervous about progressive reloaders in small gauges...28 ga progressives however should work fine.

19. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

I have used a 9000G for about 20,000 shells. Just a little slower than the 12 gauge but if you are careful you can crank our 28's all day long. No reason why I wouldn't recommend it, would say the satisfaction lies in the user doing it right. WW hulls split, STS hulls melt and both seem to last about the same, 3 maybe 5 max and are startin to look right ugly. The best hulls I have used are Federals, seem to just keep going. Who would a thunk it. The smaller case requires a more deliberate approach and I think less pressure helps hull life a lot. A nice soft load of Universal seems to be best for me for targets, and mostly Blue Dot for hunting. I think it is quite important to chrono the 28's. Have had lots of fun with the 28 hope you do to. Jeff

20. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Al Scooler here in San Antonio has the Spolar in all gauges. His .410 loads come out beautifully. Now if you like to load them until the crimps are gone and the sides split out, you are probably not going to be happy. I tend to do that so I stay with the PW 375 for the .410 bore. I use a lot of "ballistic nail-polish" but I'm having fun. IMHO Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
28 gauge reloader forums
28 gauge mec grabber reloader for sale

28 gauge progressive reloader

28 gauge reloader
28 gauge reloader for sale
mec 28 gauge reloader
mec grabber 28 gauge for sale used 2016
used mec grabber for 28 gauge 2016