1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 gauge primer removal advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by greendrake, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greendrake

greendrake Member

I need a little advise.

I have not reloaded in 35 years and at the time it was only 12 gauge, I was having a little trouble finding 28 gauge shells so i thought i could reload. I bought a MEC sizemaster and my only hiccup is extracting spent primers. The extraction tool works but I often have to rotate the hull until I find the sweet spot , and even so sometimes i force the primer out and it screws up the hull. So much that it has to be discarded.
    My thought was to buy something that only presses the primers out and or using a punch to knock it out.

I'm asking for ideas and or thoughts,

thanks

russ luke

2. Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer Member

Try pushing the empty up on the de-prime rod and then lower the handle, bringing down the shell and the de-prime rod like one piece. Trying to hit the center of the shell by placing it on the base is often hit and miss.

3. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

Russ,

The Sizemaster should work exactly as Pat said. It sounds like you might have an adjustment problem. I suspect that the spent primer drop tube in the center of the collet resizer is not going down all the way. Check for smooth movement of that drop tube as you pull the handle down, it is activated by the long black rod in the center front of the machine that does down below the base and has a fork that supports the tube.

I would suggest that if you don't find an obvious problem that you give MEC Customer Service a call. They are very good at solving problems over the phone.

Good Luck,
    Scott

4. greendrake

greendrake Member

Thanks guys. I've called MEC on a different issue and they were very informative. I'll call again about the adjustment. I must admit I was looking for an additional stand alone device that would pop the spent primers out of the hull.

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The MEC Sizemaster is the stand alone device to remove primers. I have four of them (12,20,28,.410). I use them to remove primers and size the brass before I reload them on my P/W 800 Plus. The 800 Plus operates smoother when it does not have to remove spent primers and resizing the case head makes shell insertion easier.

If you are dealing with 28 gauge Remington hulls you have another problem. The depriming pin on my Sizemaster was larger than the flash hole in the Remington hull!

Jim Skeel<BR>P/W Dealer/Distributor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.