1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 gauge powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kevin Nelson, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

Does any one have any favorite 28 gauge recipes they would like to share?
    What is the most popular powder to use in these loads?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Universal Clays or HS-6 is your best bet. HMB

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

13 grains of Unique in any hull, with any wad and and primer. 3/4 of an OZ of shot. I have shot this load for years. I have never seen the reason people like Universal clays. I shot 8 pounds of it and went back to Unique. Good thing too as Universal clays is a little hard to find right now. Jeff

4. rons2

rons2 TS Member

Depending on the wad used and shell capacity the powder used can be a problem.

Universal is a bit more dense than Unique. STS can handle the loading with unique and universal with a TRUE 7/8 ounce load. Older AA's (pre HS) may have a crimping/capacity problem.

The 28 Gauge is a pleasue to shoot.

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

15 gr of Longshot, AAHS wad, AA primer and AAHS Case.

6. Borderland

Borderland Member

Why not use powder designed for the 28.....win 540 if you can find it or the new alliant 20/28

7. primer

primer TS Member

Winchester case and wad 12 gr 700X kills doves dead.

8. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

SuperXjeff is right------ 13 grains of unique is the best/cheapest all around 28ga load. Super efficient and very effective clay/bird load. Phil S.

9. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

I really like 20/28, wish I had bought more before the new wore off and the price followed it. Unique is good, Longshot is good. If I could find a deal on it though, I might choose 4756 over all of them.

10. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Longshot in both the 28 and the 20.

11. ink ball

ink ball Member

Hodgdon HS-6 (same as the disontinued 540). See Hodgdon's web site for the particulars on components using this powder.

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Another Unique vote here although I'm currently out of a 28ga gun......Bob Dodd

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

There have been a lot of questions about the best load for 28's. Since I started out with AA cases, and I've always used Winchester components, the new AAHS cases were a real bummer. There was orignally very few load formulas, Unique and Universal weren't even listed on the original reloading guide on the website. I found that the HS hull and HS wads required a compacted powder. There wasn't as much room in the HS wad/case as the original AA hull/wad combination. I found that Longshot loaded the best and I tweaked my wad pressure and final crimp die to keep it together.

On my MEC loader, it requires a #16 bushing for 12.8 gr of 20/28, with Universal a #16 bushing drops 14.1 gr. With Longshot, a #14 bushing drops 15.1 gr @ a book speed of 1225FPS. So, with my bushings, Longshot takes the least amount of volumn, crimps the best, gives me more speed, and patterns great. I use this load for sporting, dove hunting, and even pheasant hunting on preserves. I simply change the shot size. YOUR BUSHINGS MAY DROP MORE OR LESS POWDER, SO WEIGH YOUR BUSHINGS. THIS IS NOT GOSPEL!

14. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Setterman. Unique loads just great in the new HS hull with the HS wad or claybuster clone wad. 13 grains--just loaded about 1500 rounds with zero problems and shoots great|! Phil S.

15. parrothead

parrothead Member

Anyone still use green dot?

16. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

HS-6 for the last 10 years (replacement for 540) you can load both Win and Rem hulls with this powder.

Ronbo

17. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

The beauty of Unique is that it also works well in the 20 ga. Bob

18. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Setterman, I load the same old load of Unique in the new HS hulls. I just use the HS wad. I have no trouble at all?Jeff

19. The Stive

The Stive Member

In reply to the green dot question. I use green dot for 12,20, and 28. Works well for me. John

20. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

I shot more green dot than I care to think about, but have swapped to Universal.
    There was a time when you could not find green dot so I switched.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best 28 gauge powder
green dot 28 gauge loads

green dot powder 28 gauge

green powder for 28 guage reloads
using green dot in the 28 gauge