1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 gauge - powder, recipes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smc968, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smc968

smc968 Member

I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on the best all-around powder for reloading 28ga, and also favorite recipes.

I'm going to be using STS and AA hulls. I'm open to different types of primers, but have a lot of Win209 sitting around.

One other question... I haven't had great luck with reloading the AA-HS hulls for 12 gauge. Do the same buckling issues exist with the 28ga?

Thanks everyone!
    Steve

2. skeezix

skeezix Member

You'll get better life out of the HS 28 gauge than you will out of the STS.

The only real issue with the HS is that early versions of it are a touch short and can be difficult to crimp with anything but longshot for powder. I load them with universal - but I use a 11/16 oz shot bushing to get a decent crimp.

The Winchester AAHS wads suck. Use the claybuster wad (I think its the "b" version now.)The PC28 wad is good in tapered cases - the STS and the old comp. formed Winchester. From what I'm told it does not work particularly well in the HS cases.

Alliant 20/28 is a great powder for the 28. You can get their recipes from their online manual. http://www.alliantpowder.com

Universal Clays works well also - it is an issue with the early HS hulls as I mention above.

Unigue works well (I don't use it, but many do)

Longshot works well - especially in the shorter early versions of the HS hull.

john

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

skeezix gave good advice. Do not mix old and new AA's in the 28 ga.

You will not have "buckling" issues with the AA's

Also, get the Ballistic Products loading guide. It has a lot of 28 ga recipes from 5/8 to 1 oz.

Very fun gauge to shoot.

Don Verna

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hodgdon Universal Clays

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Steve, What Skeezix said all the way!!! Only thing I can add is that a All American shooter on this site said that 20/28 is not a good powder for 20 ga. loads so if you want to load both gauges it may not be a good powder for you (some others say its fine). Only other thing that I can add if your still looking for a good load is to keep the chamber pressures as low as you can and still get a good 1200 fps load. This will extend the life of your hulls. Universal and Unique are hard to beat. Break-em all. Jeff

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You will find that the Winchester HS hull is the hull to use for 28 gauge reloading. Make your life easy and use the Winchester HS wad or a clone. Stick with the standard 3/4 Oz shot charge. The W209 primers are fine. For powder, I like Universal Clays but I have heard good things about 20/28 from Alliant. Which ever way you go, don't try to hot rod it and stay with the powder manufacturer's data.

Have a good one.

7. smc968

smc968 Member

Thanks all for the information! Jeff, what would you consider a reasonable chamber pressure for 28ga... related to your suggestion to keep it low.

8. Hilltop

Hilltop Member

Hi Steve,

13GR. Unique with 3/4 oz. shot works very nice

Allen

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

I believe maximum pressure for the 28 ga is 12,500 psi.

I load 7/8 oz hunting loads at 1275 fps with 10,500 psi using Lil'Gun.

Longshot is a good powder for lower pressure loads with less shot. There is no need to push past 11,500 and there are many loads under 10,500 on the Hodgdon site.

Also check out Pro-Reach on the Alliant site.

don Verna

10. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

Sorry I cannot remember the particular grains and I know that this whole post may just be a waste but here it is.

Our old "28 Gauge Championship of the Whole World" load we used to determine who was it on a weekly basis.

AA hull
    Universal Clays
    AA clone or original wad
    Win209 primer
    #12 Bushing on my MEC9000H

The speed was pushing 1235 but they felt good and it was not too hard on the hulls. Using the standard charge bar throw of 8 1/2's they just smoked targets way farther out than you can believe.

11. Pull & Mark

Steve, Good question and I had to do alittle checking for you. The HS hull with the pt-28 wad is a l0,700 psi load (with universal) and looks very good. I'd check with Alliant to see if you could use the Pt-28 wad and or the Duster 2834 wad with the Unique powder and see if that would lower the only load they have listed with the AA wad at 11,300 psi. I'd try to stay below 11,000 psi. for me. I have a good supply of the old Win. AA's and load them at l0,800 psi and I am very happy with hull life. But then checking different loads and trying them is half the fun in reloading for me. I'd try a few different loads in the HS hulls until I found one that I liked and gave me good hull life and patterns, then I'd stick with it like glue. At least until I found a different gun, but then that's another story. LOL. Break-em all. Jeff

12. Hogsan

Hogsan Member

a lot of good information on the posts. 8.5 shot AA-HS Hulls HS wads and Unique for everyday SK shooting. On hunting loads I sub the 8.5 with 5 mag or 6 shot for Pheasants. Powder load by the book with both but hunt loads I use the upper end on pressure and fps. Rem STS I use same load for skeet and the PT28 wad. Primers on all are now Fiocchi except an old 1100 28 I use rem 209s because the Fiocchis are hard and the 1100 needs a softer primer to function every time.

Jim

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Hi Steve,

13GR. Unique with 3/4 oz. shot works very nice

I can't agree more. I have loaded hundreds of thousads of rounds with this combo.
    This picture will show you about the diffrences in hs wads VS standard wads claybuster VS old style 28ga AA wads as well as teh Federal wad.

[​IMG]

14. skeezix

skeezix Member

Jeff - where did the comment that 20/28 in the 20 gauge was not a good load come from? I use it there as well and like it just fine. Wondering if I missed something? I switched from universal in both to 20/28 when universal was next to impossible to get a couple years back.

As said above, SAAMI specs are 12,500 psi max for the 28.

john

15. Pull & Mark

John, I don't remember all the info from his thread about the details. He is currently a respected member of the NSSA and a top shooter. Added to this he has his own business dealing with the skeet shooters on a daily basis. I have never tried the powder so I don't have first hand knowledge. You have to remember skeet shooters will shoot the 20 ga. tubes 3 times in every 5 event match. In 12ga., 20ga., and doubles as well. So this is a important reload for them. Since I don't recall his post exactly I will not reveal his name here. Break-em all. Jeff

You have a PM.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use Universal for 20/28, excellent. I have no reason to even try anything else.

One thing about the 28 guage: take the time to cut off a few different hulls a little above where the wad skirt rides and check the fit. You will be amazed with the differences.

I have many old style AA but I like the HS too.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
28 ga load data

28 ga reloading data

28 gauge load data

28 gauge reloading data

28 gauge reloading powder

28 gauge reloading recipes

best 28 gauge powder
winchester 28 gauge powder