1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 gauge pattern..i need help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I patterend my 28 gauge browning 525 today. the reason being I just seem to be missing a lot od targets that i should not have.

the results, bottom barrel improved cyl. at 20 yards shot a beautiful pattern but it was realy high....like a trap gun.

the top barrel skeet choke shot an even better pattern at the same distance without being high, it was right on the money

the question is there hope or is the gun broken and needs gunsmithing. I just about wanted to cry I have been saving for a year and a half for that gun.

the powder I used was green dot with a pc wad...I now have unique I just used the green dot because a had some left over(hate to wast). I got the recipe from a allient book from 2005.

my next step is to switch the chokes and see how it patterns.

is it possible that I got a bad choke tube...any help would be great befor I do anything rash.

2. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Once you know the POI,Briley can make chokes to put it where you want it within reason.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Considering you were useing a bad powder!!! Are you using a good Briley extended choke tube??? Were you useing a table mounted gun rest??? Or were you using a two legged tripod to rest gun on to steady it while you sat in a chair??? Did you do at least 5 shots from each barrel??? Probably not!!! I would not be the least bit worried. Your misses are more than likely from lifting your head, and did not even know it. I would never trust a POI test with a freehand held gun!!! That's OK if all your after is a pattern test to see size and pellet count type of thing, and thats all. Its very easy to move gun up slightly while pulling a trigger. Kick back and relax, I have never heard of any problems with your 525 from any shooter anywhere. Don't think, just shoot and enjoy. Break-em all. Jeff

4. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Miroku guns are generally like lasers when it comes to POA / POI. You have to make sure that you're doing it right, though...Like Jeff says, shoot it from the bench.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Rotate the choke in the lower barrel 1/2 turn and see if the POI changes. If it does then you know the tube is bad.

Next time remember to shoot it before you buy it. HMB

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

dolphin62, Browning and Beretta chokes generally suck. Before you get too upset, here is what you have to do.

Go to a range with a bench. Set up on a good rest with the target anywhere between 13 yards and 20 yards away. Pick one barrel and shoot each choke in that barrel. AIM! Buy clip on turkey sights if you have to. For this exercise, you are aiming just like it was a rifle. Shoot enough times so that you can say with assurance this choke prints 2" high and 3" left in this barrel (example). Repeat for every other choke, recording the results. Hopefully, you will find two or three that shoot to the same POI. Discard the rest.

Now take one of the good chokes and put it in the other barrel. Does it hit the same POI as it did in the previous barrel? If yes, the barrels are converged well enough to use. It is also okay if the under barrel shoots up to an inch below the top barrel at these close distances. Replace all the defective chokes with Wright's or Briley"s.

If the barrels are not converged, you will have to decide how much error you can accept. Unfortunately, Browning says anything within 8" @ 40 yards is acceptable. It isn't. If you argue enough, they will correct the situation.

When I tested my Beretta combo, all three barrels shot to different POIs and only two of the 7 choke tubes supplied shot to the same POI in the same barrel.

Good luck with your testing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.