1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 gauge loading info

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 24 straight, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 24 straight

24 straight TS Member

I am Looking for reloading information for estate 28 gague hulls. I have been loading Herco with Rem. and Win. Hulls so I would like to keep loading Herco. Also does anyone have or know were I might buy a few estate empties at a reasonable price? Thanks for the help, 24 straight

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Early Estate shells were Cheddite (two stars on the shell head). Later hulls are Federals. Use Federal data.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Don't waste your time on the Estate 28 guage hull. It is really a one shot deal and certainly not something you should waste money on. Do yourself a favor and use the AA HS hull with the HS wad.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have a 55 gallon barrel of FED/ESTATE 28's. I picked them up or was given them. I am NOT throwing them away! LOL

If I were buying shells to shoot for empties, I would also buy the new AA loads.

Estates are best loaded twice at the most and tossed. The Estates use a cheaper plastic.

Look at the Lyman manual. Alliant no longer shows Fed hulls on their site.

If you don't have access to a manual, what kind of wads and primers do you have?

Don't buy those hulls. They are worth loading only if FREE.

5. 24 straight

24 straight TS Member

shooting coach, I currently have Rem. sts and Win. 209 primers. Also I have two types of claybuster wads, the ones for straight walled hulls and the HS wads for the HS Winchester hulls. Thanks for your help, 24 straight

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Au contraire!

I've found I can get 4 or 5 reloadings out of the Estate/Federal hulls.

You're right, the AAHS hull is better, but if he's got a bunch, they reload fine.

I use Win209 primers, 14.5 grains of Hodgdon Universal Clays, a Federal 28S1 wad (which is what they use from the factory) and 3/4 ounces of shot.

Nice load.

7. dirtdobber

dirtdobber TS Member

i also disagree. i find the estate shell very good. aa's are not as good as they used to be. i will but the estate shells if they are for sell at a reasonable price.

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you are using the newer Fed/Estates, Win primers, WAA28 (white) wads, and Herco powder with 3/4 oz shot, 14 grains will get you 1194 fps at a chamber pressure of 9,200 LUP. Subbing the Fed 28S1 wad jumps pressure to 10,500 LUP with 6 fps more speed. There were no published loads with the STS primer.

This load was triple checked with the manual under the keyboard. It is a published load from the 4th Edition Lyman manual.

I use Unique in the 28. I have not used Herco. In the paper shell days, mucho wad pressure was required for this slow burning powder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.