1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 gauge hulls

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by cdan6557, Jan 11, 2017.

1. cdan6557

cdan6557 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I just bought a 28 ga silver pigeon and I plan on reloading for it. I am going to purchase several cases of shells to go through to get my hulls. Its either AA or Remington sts, and wanted to know if there were any advantage to one or the other, and also wondered if the AA has the insert like the 12 ga does or is it a one piece hull?

Thanks
    Charles

2. P3AT

P3AT Active Member

In 28 and .410, it is AA all the way, I've reloaded them up to 14 times before having to pitch them. Rems I'm lucky to get 3 or 4 reloads.

JMHO, Pat

3. Gregory

Gregory Member

They have the insert also
    I haven't heard of any problems with the insert moving on the 28 ga.

4. mag410

mag410 Active Member

AA's last longer. Make sure any AA28's are the longer new production and have the line under the AA on the shell.

A secondary consideration is Remington hulls can be a pain as some loaders will not fully seat non STS 209 primers in the first reload.

Michael

5. eff10mm

eff10mm Member

I think the Remington STS hull are worthless in 28ga. I only use Winchester now. I try to get the old hulls if I can, but the new HS are okay. You just can't mix them when you reload.

6. mach1cj

mach1cj TS Member

Yep...AA's all the way!

7. 2skeet

2skeet Active Member

I shoot the STS only because I've got a 55gal. barrel of them. They only go about 3-4 loads before there used up. The AA is a better hull I've seen guys get 8-10 loads out of them before there shot out. I agree the AAHS with the line under the AA is a tic longer which allows you to get all of your components in and get a nice crimp.

8. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Plus, if you can wait a few months Win may have the $2/box rebate again this year.

If you have to start now, just buy 1 or 2 flats.

Jason

9. cdan6557

Glad I asked. I was leaning toward the STS. Thank y'all for the help

10. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

This is not true. The AAHS 28 ga. does NOT have the separate base wad like the 12 and 20 ga. versions.

Be careful with wad and powder choices. Old style AA wads do not work well in the new style. Also, when you go to buy the shells, make sure they are all from the same lot. One issue with the AAHS is hull length variation. If you get factory shells all from the same lot, you stand a better chance of having more consistent hull length. And I hear 20/28, a more dense powder than either Unique or Universal, is a better powder in this application.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  11. cdan6557

I have seen a lot of data for 800x and was thinking of using it because I like it in heavy 12 ga loads.

12. browning66

browning66 TS Member

Use Longshot or 20/28 powder and the CB 5034-28 wads in the Win AAHS and you will be happy!

13. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

800X bad choice because it does not meter well.

You have no metering problems with your heavy loads? Like plus or minus over half of a grain between drops, may not be that bad in 12 ga but in a 28 ga it is not good.

Jason

14. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Hodgdon's HS6 is another powder for the AAHS 28ga.

rapid86 thanked this.
  15. Gregory

Gregory Member

[​IMG]

28 aahs hull
    with separate base wad

Attached Files:

16. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have been loading Alliant Pro Reach in my 28ga. and very happy with it. 17.0 for sporting clays and 15.0 for skeet in the AAHS hull with the Downrange blue wad. Pro Reach has much less pressure than the other 28ga. powders. Bill

17. Brent Paulus

Brent Paulus Well-Known Member

Gregory, What RELOADER are you using ? The reason I ask, is that the brass base looks like it didn't drop down far enough in the resized and was crushed. Which is probably a factor in the separation. I'm sort of surprised that you were able to load it in the chamber with out an issue. Let alone fire it and then get it to eject?
    Brent

18. Gregory

Gregory Member

I just destroyed the hull and brass to get at the base wad

19. cdan6557

I don't seem to have much variance in my powder drops with the 800x in my 12 ga but see a good point in having more variance in loading the 28 ga. The most I am ever off is +\-.3 grains. Usually my shells are .1 grain from each other. I measure about every 20th to 25th shell. Keep the info coming I am taking it all in. I run a 900 PW for my 12 ga and probably going to get a 28 ga kit for it. Y'all have been great help.

Thanks
    Charles

20. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

That is not the same type of basewad the 12 and 20 ga. hulls use where there was a problem with basewad separation. The 28 ga. AAHS is a standard Reifenhouser-type hull. The 12 and 20 ga. AAHS hulls also are Reifenhauser-type hulls but also have a completely different basewad system:

AAHS 12 and 28 ga.jpg