1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 gauge hull and load, 28 Blue DownRange

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Charlie Becknell, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I am starting to load 28 gauge. I confess my ignorance, what is the difference between 28 AA and 28 AA HS hulls. Also, loading on Spolar. How does 28 PC Blue load using Longshot powder, 3/4 oz load.

Charlie

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

The HS are the current production shells w/ the shiny hull. The older "pre HS" are the ones w/ a dull finish on the hulls. I use Win wads or the Claybuster clone so I can't comment on the PC.

3. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

I believe the PC blue works well in the origional AA hull but the new HS hull uses the HS compatible AA wad, I use the claybuster and the wads AA standard and AA HS are not the same diameter.

Doug

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The Winchester Compression Formed hull and the Winchester High Strength hull are two different hulls, requiring different wads and loads. Further, there were two different WW HS hulls. The early ones were a bit shorter than other 28 ga hulls, and were a bear to reload without over stuffing and crushing the hull, or having the crimp pooch out. When Longshot powder came out, it helped overcome some of these early HS hull deficiencies. Winchester has now made the 28 ga HS hull longer and closer to standard length, so early problems have been resolved. Alliant 20/28 powder and Hodgdon Longshot remain the more commonly used powders today.

Hodgdon does not list any PC 28 wads with the HS hull. It is better suited for use in the CF hull.

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

This should give you an idea of what the diffrence between an HS hull and a regular hull.

6. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Since others have commented on the wads, I will limit my response to the choice of powder. Longshot is exceptionally filthy and exceptionally loud.

I like to go 30-40K rounds in between cleanings and value what little is left of my hearing. I currently load Universal, but there are other good choices too.

Longshot was fun for making whoop a$$ 12 ga. loads, but for a bread and butter powder in the little 28, I couldn't deal with filth or the noise.

7. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

You should take a look at Unique for 28 ga. I've used it for years. Excellent powder, clean, throws an excellent pattern and has lower pressures than most powders. I use it for 20 ga and some 12 ga too. It's a little dirty in the 12 but who cares, I clean my guns at the end of the day.

Tom

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have always loaded Unique as well. I have not seen any reason to switch. I suspect I have loaded in the neighborhood of 250,000 28ga shells with 80% loaded with Unique. Pretty tough to beat . jeff

9. creek

creek Member

I tryed several types of wads for different hulls, then finally went with
    Down Range PC 28ga wads for both old AA's and AA HS's, as well as STS and Estate hulls. Loading several thousand shells, I have not had any problem using these wads. DR 28ga (blue) are very universal for me. I load with 20/28 powger(13.5gr), Noble primers. I get great crimps and great pressure reports.

Several of the reloaders in the club have swithced to this wad as well and are getting the same results I have received.

John Radtke (CREEK)

10. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Does anyone have a recipe for a load that duplicates the factory Winchester Super Sports @ 1300 fps?

I can't explain it but the difference in the breaks between my 1200fps reloads and the factory stuff is stark. The Super Sports just inkball the rocks while the reloads just crack them in a less satisfying manner.

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Longshot will be the best powder to get the high velocity.I do not care for how it patterns but you will get the speed you want.Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
28 ga load data with pc wad
28 gauge high pressure wad
28 gauge wad pressure
downrange 28blue wads
loading b&p hulls 28 gauge
loads for downrange pc28 wad

longshot vs unique for 28 ga shotshell

pc 28 guage wads