1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 gauge for Trap?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by strohkr, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strohkr

strohkr TS Member

There's a guy I know who wants to get back into shooting (middle age plus) but he has a very bad back and is unable to take the heft and recoil of a 12 gauge. After doing some research - it looks like a 28 gauge might be the best compromise. Light weight, low recoil, patterns well. We've also thought about recoil reducers, light loads, etc but the weight of the gun is a concern as well. So the 28 gauge is the route we're thinking about right now - but I thought I'd post something to see if anyone has anything to say - pro/con about the choice. He's not interested in ATA competetion - just wants to shoot a little trap, skeet, and maybe a round of Clays from time-to-time.
    Thanks! Greg.

2. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

I've used Briley tubes in my trap guns, and from the 16, if you hit them they'll break. But you gotta hit 'em.

3. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

If the weight of the gun is of equal concern with recoil, he might want to consider a 391 20 gauge. Mine with a 30" barrel is only 6 lbs, but stock weights and magazine cap weights can easily get it up to 7 and still have a well-balanced gun, so as the back improved, he could add weight to the gun and reduce recoil even more. Twenty-gauge shells are sooo much less expensive than 28's. I think he might find the softer felt-recoiling semi-auto more back friendly than even a 28 gauge over under. I have a 32" Guerini 28 that is quite pleasant to shoot at 7 lbs., but if I had the health concerns your friend does, I think I would go with my 391 20 if forced to choose between the two. I'm a recoil wimp and am currently shooting 3/4 ounce loads in my 12 gauge. They are adequate and delightful to shoot.
    Dave

4. rscotty

rscotty TS Member

Keep in mind that part of the recoil equation is the weight of the gun. I was out three weeks ago with a friend and his son who was carrying a 28 gauge red label. I used it on one station and the recoil wasn't what I would classify as light at all. Almost felt like my 12 gauge with a target load.

I'd look into a 20 gauge. The increased weight along with the availability of light target loads may be the ticket here.

The previous comments around getting into shape are well taken and should be pursued prior to taking up the sport again.

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I have a friend with a bad shoulder he shoots .410 form 16 and scores 22 to 25 every time he shoots. 28 ga can only be better just takes practice.

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Get him an 1100 28 ga with a modified choke. If you reload don't make the shells any faster then 1200. The recoil will be so light it will amaze you. Good points above about getting the back stronger as in the long run that is what will keep the fella shooting. The 28 with 3/4 of an OZ of 9's will break 25 straights from the 16 yard line if you do your part. Good luck to your friend. Jeff

7. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Rather than starting with the cartridge, I'd back up and start with the gun. I'd have him heft various weights & lengths, and start getting some perameters about just what he can hold up. Then if he can hold it, I agree with Dave about the 20-GA 391 gas-gun. And back exercises under a physical therapist's tutelage. Phil E

8. BP348

BP348 Active Member

Greg,

Last week I inadvertly shot a box of 12 ga reloads that a friend had made that were equal to a 28ga. What is it? 28ga is 3/4oz and 20ga is 7/8oz? I shot it during practice from the 27. We didn't relize untill after the round that I had shot a box of shells he had made me to try dove hunting with.

So shooting a 28ga can be done but I also have a 20ga 3901 and it's by far the softest shooting gun I've shot. I'm hoping one of my girls will get interested in shooting when they get older and the 3901 20ga is what I plan on starting them with.

9. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Remington 1100 plus 7/8 oz shot at 1200 fps = MINIMAL, very minimal recoil. Let me know if he wants recipes.

Forrest

10. Odawgp

Odawgp TS Member

I have shot a 28ga recently, o/u mind you, and i personally would rather take the recoil of my 12ga. i shoot both trap and skeet and my reloads for 16yds and skeet only produce +/- 13.8lbs of recoil @ 1150fps, this is plenty fast for 16yd targets. shooting a smaller ga isn't necessarily the answer. i would look for a good gas gun and shoot 7/8 1125-1150fps reloads in what ever ga he chooses. correct me if i'm wrong but i havn't seen any factory off the shelf shells in any ga loaded much under 1250fps. he will have to reload in order to make any gun feel good to his back.
    12ga. 1125fps
    15.8gr of clays
    7/8 oz shot #?? what ever i want i don't care lead is lead as long as i hit them they break
    cb wa12s replacement wad grey

good luck

clint

11. vatrap

vatrap Member

Try a 32" BT99 with a Briley sidekick tube, if you can find a plus model, it's

even better. Somebody had a Browning 27" Recoiless for sale on this site last

week, if you can take the weight, it's the lightest recoiling gun there is.

Mike

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I would recommend what I load for my fiances daughter...she is using my 11-87 Premier 20 gauge...7/8 over a light charge of Winchester SuperField...Its a very light gun..with a 28" barrel..very smooth..and with that load...is very clean and recoil is non-existant

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Your welcome to come out to Maywood Sportsman club in Elmhurst,IL on Wednesday evenings or Sunday mornings and you can watch Frank shoot 22 to 25 on any given day. I'll be happy to introduce you hairy. Just takes parctice and time.

14. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Jeff,
    Email me about Gunbroker please.

15. rhaney2

rhaney2 TS Member

I shoot a 28 gauge browning citori/briley tubes and have no probles,just get a set of briley chokes in mod or full and Rio makes a 1 oz load in 7 1/2 shot size.
    It is less kick and the 1 oz load will smoke birds like a 12 ga.

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My wife used a 28 GA tube insert in her K-80 one evening and easily smoked 50 straight singles!!

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Only one good answer, Gas Gun.

You can load 3/4 oz loads and the recoil will be less than any 28 guage break gun.

That's about the lightest combination that will still break targets. You may have to use a little less choke, as the small shot charges tend to tighten.

HM

18. strohkr

strohkr TS Member

Thanks everyone for the input - We're going to try my 12 gauge with 7/8 oz loads tonite and see how that works. I think it's more the weight of the gun. So if nothing else we're going to look at the Remington 1100 in 20 and 28 gauge. I suppose you're right about reloading - probably will have to do that to get good light loads to go along with the gun.
    Greg

19. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

If you are looking at the weight of the gun, the 1100 won't be the answer. My 28 gauge 1100 weighed 7 lbs, 4oz. The 391-20 is considerably lighter at 6lbs. I haven't tried 3/4 ounce loads in my 20 gauge 391, but I shoot them all the time in my 12 gauge 391. They use the same recoil spring, so the gas system must be set up to use the same pressures. If he can stand the weight of the 12 gauge gun, try the 3/4 ounce loads. When I shoot 7/8's ounce loads now, I wonder where all the recoil came from.
    Dave

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Pat, I loaded 3/4 oz 20's when my 8 yr old started. I used 7625 powder. There was plenty of gas to work the gun, but it was alittle dirty. Same load with 1 oz is better.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
28 gauge shotguns for trap

28 gauge trap gun

28 gauge trap shotgun
28 guage for trap
28 guage trap and skeet

are 28 gauge good for trap shooting

skeet shooting with 28ga
trap with 28 gauge