1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 Gauge Event at the Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Does anyone out there have any results on the 28 gauge 50 bird event on Aug. 6-7-8 ? Did any of the big name shooters participate. Sounds like fun. Any 25 or 50 Straights. Clyde Doll

2. MOP

MOP Active Member

Who sponsored this event? I was told Winchester, but when I went to their building Friday for information, they didn't know anything about it.

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Wasn't it Phil Murray's idea?

4. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Thebigski--No I live in NW Ohio. I know of several Dolls in the Hanover area. Charlie Doll + a son & a daughter. Met them in Vandalia a few years back. Don't know if they still shoot. Charlie's health was not good. Clyde Doll

5. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Any news?

6. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

When I inquired at a couple of places they didn't seem to know anything about it.
    Main building had a sign said to inquire at the west end.. Nobody new @#$@ down their.

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I shot it, remington supplied the shells, there were Kolars, 1100,s and cynergys, I had last pick, the kolars were gone so I grabbed a browning, shot a 21 and 23, highest score I saw was on the board a 49.. I switched chokes and shot a full.. I can tell you they broke the clays as good as the my 12 does..

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The streaming Webcam has the 28ga results - but not the complete list. 49 was high, I think.

Bob

9. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I shot the event on Friday afternoon last week 43x50 the only reason I missed was my fault. I shot one of the Kolar Guns. Really grinds the targets! Lots of fun!

Ronbo

10. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"the only reason I missed was my fault."
    and who else's fault would a miss be? Obama's??

11. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Were the guns small frame or did they have any tubed 12ga trap guns?

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Since Kolar does not make 28 ga shotguns i suspect the kolars had to be tubed guns. The brownings could have been either. Jeff

13. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

28 Gauge Winners List: Champion Larry Grenevicki (49)Runner Up Bob Ternes (49) Third Joel Etchen (48)AAA MIchael Hughes (47)AA Larry Telfer (48) A Dennis Early (47) B Tim Kniffen (47) C Rily Parmenter (47)D David Rearden (47) Sr. Veteran Clayborn Hunter (46) Veteran James Butler (48) Lady Diane Peyton (45) Junior Lucas Koch(48) Sub-Jr. Ian Recla (49)The event was sponsored by White Flyer, Hodgdon, Kolar, Remington and Browning.

14. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Code5, people say they mess because the pattern is so poor that a bird flies through it. That's why they shoots Krieghoffs and not Mossbergs.

Now, if what you're saying is correct, that there's no excuse for missing with a 28, then why not handicap by gauge? Why not have the top rank events shoot exclusively from the back line with 28's and .410's?

15. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Looking at these scores, you have to ask, do I really need a 12 gauge especially from the 16 yard line? The answer is no. If you put a 28 gauge in the hands of a capable shooter, they'll break targets. I've shot nothing but the 28 gauge for the past year including trap, skeet , sporting clays, FITASC, bunker, and helice. Believe me, if you put the gun in the right spot the target will break. I've made too many second shot kills in FITASC that were every bit of 60 yards to believe any different.

16. 87AA

87AA TS Member

smoking357,

While handicapping by gauge does seem to solve the problem, there is one major factor in doing this..........MONEY.

28 gauge and 410 bullets cost much more than good 12 bullets. Making certain shooters use a 28 or 410 would be unfair because they would be paying much more for ammo. Yes, you could make an argument that they have won more money or have a sponsor and can therefor afford it, but that's a stretch.

17. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

87AA, I understand what you're saying. I'm primarily proposing .410 only for the absolute top level events for which entrance fees are required.

Others could handload. There's only so much lead you can jam into a .410. Specify the legal length of the .410, and let people shoot what they bring.

18. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If you reload small gauges, you will find the reload cost is below what it cost to reload 12 gauge, and even lower than boxes of the cheaper brands of factory 12 gauge loads.

19. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Joe:

It would have to be cheaper to reload the small stuff. Less powder and less lead, and the shells are purchased infrequently.

I'd like ATA to throw at the same speed as International Trap, at which point the 12 gauge could be used, as is. Presently, it's not sporting enough to see guys shoot hundred upon hundred straight. There's nothing wrong with a 94 beating a 89.

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What a bust.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.