1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 gauge event at the Grand American Trapshoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

This sounds like a fun event with free ammo and guns. Will it be 16 yard or some handicap. I hope some of the big names participate. It should be a great spectator event with some bragging rights. Hats off to the ATA. Clyde Doll

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Without active promotion and scheduled organization, I doubt it will be a big deal. I'm going to try it though. Going to bring my trusty old 1148.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'll just have to buy one at the Grand......

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Wish I was a bit closer, but 840 miles is a bit of a hike to shoot 50 targets...

5. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

unless things have changed, it is limited to the 1st 100 shooters to sign up for it each day. It may be only during prelim days too. Can't remember but I think I read that somewhere too.

6. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have obtained Seminole Chambermates for my gun so I can participate in Sporting Clays sub gauge events and should be able to use these for my trap gun. When will the 28 gauge event take place?

Charlie

7. Ljutic 4 Ice

Ljutic 4 Ice TS Member

This was from the OP of Phil of White Flyer

A group of us in Industry have gotten together and asked the ATA EC and Grand Shoot Chairman, Mike Hampton for permission to host a two trapfield Small Gauge Trap Singles - 28 Gauge Non-Registered Event at this year's Grand American in Sparta. The specific dates will be Friday, August 6th thru Sunday, August 8th. Utilizing the first two trapfields on the West End of the Complex, we will be offering shooters a 25 Target event that will include your ammunition and guns to borrow for FREE. At the conclusion of your shooting the 25 targets, we will ask you to take a moment to fill out a short questionnare to be eligible for the awards to be handed out on Sunday afternoon. We will have different brands of 28 Gauge Target ammunition thanks to our sponsors plus demo guns for you to use at NO CHARGE.

8. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

Phil, you guys may be breathing new life into trap shooting. Naturally some die-hards are going to say it isn't trap, but from what I read here, you have struck a nerve. Shooting sports should have something for everyone. Someday I hope to hear that shooters are breaking a hundred from the 16 with a 28 ga. pump. Keep up the good work. Herb

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Thank White Flyer, not the ATA, they didn't have anything to do with it ...
    WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

There is no reason on earth that a 100 straight can't be shot at 16 yards with a 28ga. Jeff

11. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Have to disagree w/ you Jeff. There are a lot of reasons and most of them would be the same ones stated when we don't shoot 100 straight from the 16 w/ a 12ga.

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I am just saying it can be done. I watched a live bird shooter kill 20 straight and all of them inside the ring. The 28ga event also had a 19 that was shot. We are talking about live pigeons not a clay target that only requires a chip. The guy that shot 20 fired 18 second barrels that were largly just a matter of unloading the gun. Insurance shots and because at that time you had to fire both barrels before you left the post. I shot 9 starlings in a row in Thursday with the closest being over 50 yards and the longest right at 65 yards. Granted only 5 were dead but I was using a #9 shot. The 28ga in the right hands will break 100 straight from 16 yartds with ease. I suspect they will have the wrong guns and the wrong shells though. A full choke and number 9 shot is what is needed or maybe 8 1.2's. Open chokes will work to a point but tighter is better. My wife broke 17 or 18 from the 16 yard line the FIRST time she ever fired a shotgun/ It was a 28ga 1100 with a skeet choke and she wasn't shooting them fast. If she can do that as a novice it's more then possible. And yes... I have broke 25 straights with my 28ga from the 16 yard line. Jeff

13. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I knew what you were saying Jeff. Just having fun w/ a play on words. I shot 24 out of 25 the only time I used my M42 at 16yds. The one I missed was a flinch. Did I smoke them? No, but I did have some pretty good breaks on some of them--they weren't all light hits.

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

That is way more of a feat then using a 28ga. Everything has to be perfect for the little gun. One year i used the 410 with skeet through full chokes shooting stralings. I shot maybe 2500 rounds of 410 with variuos chokes and never averaged better then about 35% taking them " as they come" by cherry picking thye birds I was able to shoot maybe 40% and that was all birds less then 25 yards. The 410 really is for the expert and not the novice.

I hate to see a kid started on a 410. a 28ga or 20 with light 3/4oz loads is so much more gun and much more likely to produce the sucess needed to keep kids interested.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.