1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 gauge and turkeys

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 7remmag, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7remmag

7remmag Member

I'm looking for a new turkey gun for this season and I would also like to start shooting skeet. I have been looking into a 28 gauge, but I'm worried it might be too small for turkey. I do already have a 12 gauge but I want a smaller gauge to do some upland bird hunting, skeet shooting, and turkey hunting. Thoughts? Experiences?

2. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you are disciplined--can call them in very close and head shoot them--MAYBE a 28ga. would be OK. Turkeys are big majestic birds and deserve to be taken cleanly. Use your 12ga. for turkeys. Save the 28ga. for smaller upland birds!

3. Kalina

Kalina TS Member

Check the regulations in your area. In MN it is illegal to hunt turkeys with anything smaller than a 20. I would stick with the 12 for igobblers. If you want a 28 for anything else go ahead.

4. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I shot a Tom right out of the sky a few years back with 3/4 oz No. 6 in a 28 gauge. Wasn't dead when it hit the ground, but it wasn't tore up either!

I don't know the laws for gauge... this was a private club.

SW

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Same in Oregon... 20 ga minimum, and 10 ga max.

6. powertrader

powertrader TS Member

12 Gauge, full choke, head shot..... what a rush.

7. 7remmag

7remmag Member

I was reading up on NYS laws and as far as I can tell it doesn't give a minimum as far as gauge and it says you can even use pistols as long as you are using shot. I am more concerned with making an ethical kill though so I will not be using a 28 gauge for turkeys.

8. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

My old buddy kills them with a 410 3" #5s...........sit in the right spot,and don't let 'em know you are there ....noooooo problem.I know for fact hes killed at least 30,maybe more over the years.He just picks his shots carefully.

D.P.Reynolds

9. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

Ballistic products can probably provide some some loading data.

10. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Boy he sure filled the creel with that one! :)

11. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

If you are hell bent at 28ga turkey hunting,Ballistic products has data for 1oz loads in fiocchi 28ga hulls at stout 1275 fps. At close range it should do the job. They sell the necessary hv28 wads. Extra full 28ga chokes are available from most of the tube makers.

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Also in KS the 28 is illegal. It would depend on your ability as a hunter wether its enough gun or not. If your a decent caller and disciplined, it will do it. However the 20 would be a better choice for your reasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.