1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 gauge AA reloading problem

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dolphin62, Sep 4, 2013.

1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I just finaly save enough to get my 28 gauge shotgun. It took me a few years but I did it. Before buying the gun I bought 40 boxes of AA Winchesters. They were on sale at wmart for 4.00 a box along with sts'a.That was 4 years ago they were clearing there shelves. Only to restock right after they sold out.
    I also bought a reloader, many hulls and components. I know putting the cart before the horse.

I will now get to the problem. I shot 4 boxes of the AA's brand new shells. The problem is when I tried to reload them. I would get many shells that would not load. When it came to the final crimp everything went to hell. They will not crimp and they look like hell. I checked the reloader and I know everything is all set up allright. I tried different wads and no difference. Some of the hulls reloaded beautiful and others did not. I tried loading sts's, estates, federal, and ficcoci shells and no problems.

I have tried and checked everything I can think of. I don't have the brains or skills of a engineer or machinist. I am very careful and precise when I do reloading, so I know its not me.

I have so many AA's that I shutter to think I cant reload them now. Can anyone help me out and give me some advise on what Im doing wrong. You don't know what a let down this is. I wont be able to afford to shoot 28 if I don't reload besides that's half of the fun.

Any help I would be more than greatful for.

2. Shuck M.

Shuck M. Member

Which brand/model reloader are you using?

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

When Winchester first came out with the AA HS hull, they were a bit shorter than other hulls. If your reloader is set up for STS hulls, and you have the shorter HS hulls, you will have a problem. I've found that has the hull gets smaller from 12 ga to 20 ga to 28 ga to .410 bore, the load becomes much more critical. A simple change in a wad or a different powder can change things dramatically. You don't say what your reloader is, or what recipe you are following, so it is hard to give concrete answers, but if you are trying to load the WW AA HS hulls, you might look to Alliant 20/28 powder, or Hodgdon Longshot powder, and Claybuster CB5034-28HS A or B wads as a start. Those powders are a little more dense than other 28 ga powders, so take up less room. The CB wad also seems to fit better than others.

See: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=266416&hilit=Winchester+HS+hull

Another: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=264591&hilit=Winchester+HS+hull

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Sell the Winchester hulls. You can get 15 cents a piece and reload the others you mentioned. HMB

5. bossbasl

bossbasl Active Member

I have loaded thousands of AA HS hulls (the only hull I reload) using W 296 powder and CB 28 ga. 3/4 oz.HS wads. W 296 (or H-110) is a very dense powder that takes minimal space. I too, have found the earliest AA HS hulls to be a bit shorter than current hulls and made a minor adjustment on my press (PW 375) to load the shorter hulls which are now gone. I prefer to load 11/16 oz. vs. 3/4 oz. loads and get beautiful crimps and a load that breaks skeet targets as well as any 3/4 oz. load. I can't comment on solutions to your problems until I have an idea of what components you are attempting to load and what press you are using. I don't believe you will have to discard your stock of AA HS hulls. Lyle

6. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Post pictures of your bad loads. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that they will not crimp and they look bad. Thanks, Bob

7. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

bombasl... Whoa! Hold up there a minute. 296/H110 is a .410 powder, not a 28 ga powder. I think you remembered your load incorrectly!

8. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

thank you all for trying to help me. Im using unique powder and the claybuster wads wad they recommend for the hulls. Im using a mec sizmaster reloader.

Anyhow I called mec and a person helped me with the problem. The hulls Im having problems with are the old style HS AA hulls. They are a little tiny bit shorter than the newer ones. Even though I bought all new shells some of them must have been the old style. The way you can tell is that the newer style have a line under the HS on the shell hull.

The way to fix the problem is to lower the starter crimp so there is a 5/16 of an inch space.
    Then I have to lower the crimp punch 2 turns lower.
    Then I have to lower the cam down and tighten the screw.

Its an awful lot of work so I will have to see how many I have. I wounder if I would have the same problem if I bought the dye set for my PW800 plus reloader.

9. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

I've found that the 28 GA HS skeet hulls with #9 shot tend to be shorter than the HS sporting clays hulls. Just sort your hulls by length and load in batches as you readjust your settings for length.

10. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

well after adjusting the starter crimp and the final crimp and the cam. I now can relaod ols style aa's hs shells with out them getting all chewed up.I notice that the sts hulls like the setting of this also. Its hard to believe that a little tweeking would make all that big of a difference.
    I was a little worried at first with all of the thousands of sts and aa hulls that I have. Thats not including the estates and fiocce hulls. I guess I will be shooting pleny of 28gauge in the future.
    I cant believe how much fun and what a pleasure 28gauge is to shoot. I noticed that it hits a target like hell. Lot of power in a little shell.

11. bossbasl

bossbasl Active Member

Bob K: My sincere apologies. You are absolutely correct; I was momentarily distracted and quoted 296 which I use in the .410. The only correct part of that statement is that I have loaded thousands of .410 with success due in part to the density of 296. What I meant to state was loading Alliant Unique with 28 ga. loads. Hope this error on my part didn't cause anyone problems. In a way, it proves the point of always referencing tested load data.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Hey you got your loaded ammo at such a good price that you are in a no loose situation. Now that you know the problem and solution, you can sort the problematic hulls out. You will also find that the STS hulls won't last very long so they will be out of play pretty soon anyway.

The other thing you are seeing with the 28 is that it does seem to work better than you would expect. Too bad it is something of a overlooked round because I think it is a better 'small gauge' than the 20. Just the ticket for new shooters and guys that just want a comfortable shooting light shotgun.

13. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

So, which 28 ga. shotgun did you buy?

14. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I bought a browning 525 very good price i bought it used for 800.
    I figure it would be a great gun for my 15 year old daughter to shoot.
    She is very small and 20 gauge is a little to much for her.
    I guess we will all have fun shooting it.

15. burtona

burtona Member

I've found I can load the old style 28 AA hulls and the new HS 28 ga AA hulls with the same setup on my Pacific 366 loader but I have to sort them separately and use the pink AA wads on the old style hulls and the red HS wads on the new ones.
    I'm using some old Scott's Solo 1250 powder but I'll swtch to 20/28 when I run out shortly.
    Dave

16. clayshooter100

clayshooter100 Member

Gentlemen you all will love pro-reach powder for 28 gauge loads I was using longshot before you will get lower pressure loads and not be as loud a report, also it meters very well and will not flow past your charge bar and leave a mess

Bob_K and Bill Hom thanked this.
  17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Loading Unique will not work in the AA hull with 3/4 oz. Get a 11/16 charge bar, AA hulls with this lighter shot charge and Unique will load great, you will not notice the difference in the breaks. I have shot this combo for many years at Skeet and Sporting.

If you must load 3/4 oz, use HS-6, WSF, or 20/28.

Post edited to clear up any possible confusion about the 11/16 oz charge bar.

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dolphin62, I'm glad you called Mec and got your loader all straitened out before your panic attack, turned into a heart attack!!! You see I told you 2 years ago that this was and still is by far my favorite gauge shotgun to shoot period!!!! End of sentence!!! It breaks clays like a 12 ga. but recoils more like the 410 bore. I hope you and your "Whole family" enjoy shooting your new gun. Sounds like you got a great buy on the 525. Oh Yeh, You can reload a shell faster than your sizemaster, but you can't reload a better shell on any loader. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Coach? I have loaded a semi-truck load of AA hulls with Unique and 3/4 of an ounce? I have no idea where you are getting that.Jeff

20. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I generally put enough pressure on my Mec Ram to barely move the needle, and get factory crimps without the bulge in the case near the brass.

Having loaded AA hulls since they were introduced in the early 60's, this has worked for me and many others.

Trying to load a full boat of Unique with a full 3/4 oz of shot in a AA hull has not worked for me. Maybe an unaltered Mec bushing will work, but it does not throw 3/4 oz.

Search tags for this page
28 gauge reloading aa hs
allian pro reach fit in 28 ga aahs

problems reloading 28 gauge with longshot

reloading 28ga aa hs hulls
reloading ww28hs
winchester 28 gauge 296

winchester 296 for 28 gauge

winchester 296 powder shotgun 28 gauge