1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 gauge 1 oz Loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MarkA, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkA

MarkA TS Member

I thought I had a recipe for 1 oz, 28 gauges in hand, but alas in haste I had misread it. Here is my component list:

Hull: Win AA HS, new long style
    Primer: Win 209
    Shot: #6 Cooper plated
    Powder: Choice of Unique, Univ Clays or Longshot
    Wad: BP's Magnum 28 #072HV28

I thought I had seen a load for Longshot but it was for Lil Gun. Do not want to buy more powder if I do not have to. I have seen a reference to using Longshot thrown from a #16 MEC bushing with all above items, but it did not state grains, just a bushing. Looking up on Hodgdon site that is 17 grs, knowing that is way optimistic I am thinking it is about 15 gr's, but somehow I get no solace from guessing about a load.

Anyone, Anyone?

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Mark,

I recommend you get a copy of the January 2009 "Shotgun Sports" Magazine.

On page 11, there is a very detailed treatise about 28 gauge reloads penned by Ron Reiber, who is Product Manager at Hodgdon, and also a Master Class NSCA shooter, who regularly uses 28 gauge in NSCA competition.

If it's about 28 gauge, he's the guy.

He recommends against 1 ounce loads for the 28 gauge. The heaviest loads he recommends are 13/16 ounce.

Tim

Reproduced from the magazine:

Fiocchi Hull

Cheddite 209 primer

Federal 28S1 wad

13/16 ounces of shot

15.5 grains of Hodgdon Longshot powder

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Just buy the factory Winchester 1oz loads i 6, 7 1/2 or 8. They are azz kickers for birds. Jeff

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

In my Hodgdon manual, the only one oz loads I see use the HV28 wad, Lil Gun powder, Cheddite or Fiocchi primer, in a Fiocchi hull. For the WW HS hull, the heavest I see is 7/8 oz using Lil Gun and BP SH28 II wads. Longshot loads in the WW HS hull go to 13/16 using Longshot powder and the PT 28, WAA28HS, and Fed 28S1 wads.

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

The factory 1oz Winchester shells use an over powder cup and a mylar sleve. Jeff

6. BBowen

BBowen Member

i have found that alliant 2028 solved my 1 oz loading problems. i use the winchester hs hull and the bp wad and get about 1250fps over the chronograph. i load number 6 shot and have had great success this year on south dakota roosters over my setters. i also use 2028 with 7/8 oz in the sts hulls and 7 1/2 shot for quail. the key is the 2028 powder.

bruce bowen www.bbguns.net

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1 oz 28 gauge

1 oz 28 gauge loads

1oz 28ga shotgun loads
28 ga one ounce loads for competitive trap

28 gauge 1 oz loads

28 gauge1 oz for sale
28 guage lil gun 1 oz
reload 28 gauge 1 oz