1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 ga, Unique powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike K P, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Looking for 28ga. recipes using Unique powder in an STS hull. Thanks, Mike.

2. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Seems like about 11.5 grains and 3/4 ounce shot. The exact numbs can be found in the Lyman manual or on Lee Shooter or the Alliant manual

chuck

3. creek

creek Member

You need to go to the Alliant sight to determine recipe. I use the Alliant recipe 13.5 grains Unique, 3/4 oz. shot, with a W209 primer.

Don't vary from the recipe that calls for specific componemts.
    Good Luck,
    John

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Same load I have used for years. 12 to 12.5 grains of Unique is all I ever use. If you look in the manual you will see this same load listed with just about any wad in any case.Jeff

5. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I use pt28 wad rem primer and 13.3 gr as per alliant data. 11260 psi at 1200 fps. With unique they only give date on rem primers. With duster 2834 wad use 14.0gr 9600psi 1200 fps

Joe

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Go to AlliantPowder.com and find the load you like with the components you have!!! With the higher pressures normally found in the 2 smaller gauges, you should get your powder drops real close. I like to get to 2/10's of a grain plus or minus. This is easy to do if you coat the powder bushing down with some nail polish. Good Luck and have fun. The 28 ga. is so sweeeeeet to shoot and my favorite by far. break em all Jeff

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Switch to AA hulls and they last forever. I average 15 reloads in my 28 gauge AA loads, with 13 grains of Unique. Mark

8. creek

creek Member

15 loads per AA hull???
    You need to tell us your secret! 6 to eight loads and my AA's, both old style and HS are usually toast.
    John

9. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Because they are 28 gauge and are worth the same as gold, I load them many more times than I do my 12 gauge shells. When they split down the side, I have to throw them out, but if the crimp is a bit crispy, but it still holds the shot in, it's good to go. It kills me to pay $11 a box for new ones, so I can make more empties. Mark

10. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Thanks for all the great information. Mike.

11. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I found years ago that uniqe was core hot in patterns from my tubes. Pattern your gun before buying alot. HS-6 is much better. Jeff

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Well.. I guess since I shoot a full choke 870 with 3/4of an oz of 8/1/2's or 9's maybe that is why I can kill starlings at 55 yards with them. I have also shot many , many pounds of HS-6 and I saw no diffrence in performance either on birds or the skeet field. Maybe because I use a full choke in the field and a skeet choke on the skeet range.

13 grains of Unique will do whatever you need and then some.

15 reloads out of an HS hull is common. I can't imagine what load that you are shooting that could destroy an HS hull in 5to 7 reloads. Maybe you are really putting a deep crimp? I shot them over the crony with 10 all the way to 15 realods and they were still holding velocity. Look at a factory HS hull and try and make your crimp look as close to that as you can. It will affect hull life.

If the crimp holds togather and the velocity is still there, you can load them.

I do not like to see velocity drop more then 100 fps on average. If my hulls are doing that, they get junked. I am not going to try and shoot hotter shels to make up for it

Load an OLD style AA! The guy's think they are the cats meow and watch the velocity fall off after 8 reloads. Guys that load them 10 plus times have never shot them over a Crony or they would see how inconsistant they are and they wouldn't load them.

I will be shooting nothing but hs after this season. I got about 10,000 rounds worth of reloadable old style AA's and about that many wads. When they are gone, it will be goodbye and good riddence. Jeff

13. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I have completely lost track of how many times I can load an AAHS hull...but it's an awful lot.

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

They won't believe the true number so I just say between 10-15. Jeff

15. chrisg

chrisg Member

First…get rid of that crappy STS hull, and switch to AA's.
    Then try 13.6 gr of Universal Clays with
    downrange blue wad and 3/4 oz of shot.
    Absolute target crusher!
    CG

16. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I get great scores and performance using 14 gr.Herco in my 28 ga.AA Hs Hulls are holding up great so far. Ran several 100 straights. Don't make fun of me, but I shoot a O/U Bakail fixed IC and Mod chokes. I have my Beretta Super Sporting getting fitted with a set of 28 ba barrels on my 12 ga. frame right now, so my old boat oar might get dry docked. LOL LOL

17. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Over 2-3 seasons in the early 90's I tried about every powder listed for the 28ga and was never happy....mostly having to do with poor cold weather performance. Then they invented Universal Clays and I was in heaven. Ten years or so later, I flirted with Longshot thinking 1300+ fps in a 28 ga would be fun. When the novelty wore off I went back to Universal.

18. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Don't tell that to the 2500 Starlings I killed in January. They would disagree with you about poor cold weather performance with Unique. I will post some pictures of my patterns with Unique the next time I get a chance to pattern them.Jeff

19. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Maybe we have different performance standards. Ever try Universal? Might get 2600 starlings next January.

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Yes, I have tried Universal and it doesn't put as many holes in the paper at 50 yards. At close range it makes very little diffrence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

28ga recipes using unique

powder unique in 28ga

powder weight for unique powder in aa 28ga

unique powder 28 ga

unique powder 28ga

unique powder for aa hs shells