1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

28 ga Reloading Issues

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sootssum, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sootssum

sootssum TS Member

I have been a long time reader and this is a first time post to this forum. I
    am loading Remington STS and Remington Nitro (gold colored) hulls on a MEC
    9000g loader with Noble Sport primers, which i use for everything. The issue is
    on the Nitro hulls i can't get consistant primer seating depth. I have tried
    Winchester primers with the same result although not as severe. I have see all the flap about Noble Sports be ing a larger dia. but as i said i have had no issues prior to this.
    Any help would be appreciated.

David Lamb
  2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

You have had no issue with the ns primer with STs 28ga hulls before? If that is the case I suspect it has to do with your spring. I can't imagine as tight as a STs 28ga gull is that you have no issue with the larger primers.

What about after you have them expanded by the larger primer? Any issues then?Jeff
  3. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Lower the powder tube on the press about 1/16 to 1/8 inch. Hold the handle down at the bottom of the stroke for a second or two. Should cure the problem. I had the same issues on a "650" press and that is what I did. What is causing the problem is excessive plastic from the bottom of the hullcovering the bottom of the primer hole. You just need a little more pressure to seat the primer.

Chuck
  4. sootssum

sootssum TS Member

To Jeff, the answer to the first question is yes the ns primers have worked fine on the sts hulls. In answer to your second question I have not reloaded enough of the nitros a second time to come to determination on that.
    To Chuck, thanks for the advice, i'll see what some others might offer and go
    from there. I also have emailed MEC tech support about this with no response
    yet.

Thanks
    David
  5. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

As Chuckie said Remington 28 and 410's have excessive plastic in the primer area. If you deprime one you can see that excess plastic.
  6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I had the problem with Remmy 410's. Mec had a kit with 2 clamps etc, and it didn't help.

I now buy Karl a beer so he will prime my hulls with his single stage. It only needs to be done the first time.

HM
  7. dgh

dgh Active Member

The mec clamp kit only helps if the tube is sliding and losing its adjustment, More than likely it is not,,

It is the hull and Halfmile has the solution I came up with, ( seat them on a single stage loader ) I had more trouble on the 410 hulls. the second loading is painless

You need so much seating pressure for the rem hull it just makes it a pain on a 9000.

I put a whole bunch a the remington hulls in storage, and currently loading AA hulls The primers seat like warm butter.

Best of luck
  8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

STS hulls are shit anyway. Why anybody bothers with them is beyond me. The ends get crispy after about 3 reloads and they have 1/2 the life of an HS AA hull. I am down to multi fires on my sts hulls and I use them for shooting only in dirty
    orchards and for hunting. When they are finally gone I will never buy anymore StS skeet loads even though I like to shoot them better then any other factory load of 3/4 OZ of 9's. I can wack a starling at 55 yards with them. Jeff
  9. skeeljc

skeeljc Active Member

The Remington engineer that designed the 28 gauge hull did not know anything about reloading. He designed the hull for the Remington primer. Remington primers are shorter than all the others. The flash hole in the Remington 28 gauge hull is very small. Often it is smaller than the decapping pin on the loader. The result is plastic will be pushed into the area where the primer seats.

If you intend to Remington 28 gauge hulls with any primer except a Remington you will need to drill out the flash hole so that is is very near the size of the primer.

The best solution is to use another hull.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor
  10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Na... You just force a bigger primer in them.Jeff
  11. RemingtonReloader

RemingtonReloader TS Member

Use a Remington primer... They're the best anyways...
  12. MDMike

MDMike TS Member

And the most expensive.....
  13. RemingtonReloader

RemingtonReloader TS Member

But I have a bunch of em. :) -Aaron Schneider
  14. Twister7795

Twister7795 TS Member

If you can find any.
  15. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Funny , I just loaded a thousand once fired STS 28's on my old PW 800 convertible with no problems,so if they are that bad send them to me .I'll pay the shipping and a reasonable price. Jeff
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.