1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 ga reload receipe?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I happened on a 28 ga reloader and would like to use it. I have about 200 28 ga AA H hulls any problems with them, and what is a good mix of components? Will be shooting sporting clays and trap with the loads. I have some older PB powder if that wold altet the other components.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Bruce,

The 28 is a joy to shoot. Its also one of those gauges that if you want to shoot it much, you need to reload. Have you seen the price of 28 gauge shells?

Anyway, I use a different hull, but I have had excellent results with Hodgdon Universal Clays powder.

There are a load of recipes in the Hodgdon manual for AA HS hulls and Universal Clays.

Tim

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bruce, You need to go to Alliantpowder.com and or Hodgdon.com to find a good load for your 28. ga. gun and loader. I also like Hodgdon's Universal Clays powder as well. I load up the old style Win. AA's in 28 ga. As Tim stated its a great ga. to shoot. Breaks targets like a 12 ga. and kicks like a 410, but with that said you really need to have a scale and check your machine's drops for both powder and lead. The 28's and 410's have very close tolerances when reloading, with much higher chamber pressures as well. You will need a Win HS. wad for reloading the Win. HS hull. The clones will work well and save you alot of money. You will have to find a good powder for the 28 ga. Powders differ and are made for different ga's. 12 ga. is used mostly for 12 ga. and 20 ga.& 28 ga. work well together and need yet a different powder to work just the 410 ga.s as well. I would try the newer Alliant 20/28 powder, or stick with Hodgdon's Universal Clays. Both are good powders and will work well for you. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Unique is going to be hard to beat. Using this with the new AA hull and wad will allow you to load 11/16 oz of shot. This is a dandy load, and the birds will break the same.

I load 13.7 gr with the 11/16 oz load, and 13.2 gr with the full 3/4 ounce payload. This light shot load works very well in Winnie and Remmy hulls.

Federal and other Riefenhauser type hulls need 3/4 oz and a tad more powder for full speed a good crimp.

5. Bruce Specht

I appreciate the imput guys and I;ll go to the website then go shopping. I love the gun and shoot it a lot in the past with new loads as you all said there priceed high.
    Thanks Again

6. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I am using HS-6 (same as the old Win 540 powder) The old pink claybuster wad and green sts hulls, and win 209 primers.

Grinds up the skeet targets.

Ronbo

7. skeezix

skeezix Member

Pay attention to the hulls. Newer HS hulls are something like 3/32" longer than the earlier HS hulls. The longer hulls that I have all have a black line over the HS (I think thats where it is) The shorter hulls work fine- with 11/16th oz of shot (my recipe is 14 gr universal, AAHS wad, fiochi 616 primer.) You won't get 3/4oz of shot into that recipe with the short hulls. I've been told you can do it with the Claybuster wad - I haven't tried it, but I would not be surprised if you can't do it.

If you have the shorter hulls, Longshot seems to be the powder of choice for a 3/4 oz load.

John

8. Bruce Specht

Thanks for all the information it helps.

9. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

2028 Powder seems to be getting a bigger fan club but Universal makes good loads in multiple gauges. IMHO

10. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Skeezx,

Your right about the two different lengths, the black line on the newer, longer HS hulls is under the AA, but the ink wears off after the 2nd or 3rd load. The two different lengths have to be sorted because the machine adjustments are not the same.

Our recommended load is Universal Clays for targets and Longshot for hunting or faster target loads.

Dicksie Spolar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
28 gauge recipe
28 gauge reloading receipe

28 gauge reloading recipes