1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 GA Recomendation

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by slk, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slk

slk TS Member

Who do you guys think makes the best 28 GA for the buck. I don't want to spend an arm and leg. This is for an ocassional shooter. Field and some sporting clays/skeet.

Thanke Steve

2. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

I had a really sweet 1100 sporting in 28ga. Nice gun, recommend highly.

3. tim mitin

tim mitin TS Member

The Remington 870 Wingmaster pump. You just can't wear them out and they are fun to shoot and are light weight. Tim M

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The best 28 gauge value for the buck is the Browning BPS. Decent walnut stock, nice blueing, reliable and smooth. I got mine for $490 new two years ago.

5. slk

slk TS Member

Thanks guys!
    What about the O/U . I see a lot of very reasonable priced ones out there. $300 to $800 range. Are these imports guns any good.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Steve,

If you already have an over/under, you might consider sub-gauge tubes.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

Any new O/U under $1000 is going to be junk.

Get a used Browning O/U - $1300 and up. I got a LNIB for $1400 last fall. Very happy with it.

Don

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Subgauge tubes are cheaper than any quality gun, and pattern very well.

The worst thing folks do with smallbores is to get a petite gun they can't hit anything with, then park it in the safe or take a drubbing on it in a sale.

Unless you limit your shots, the 28 can be disappointing in the field. It is great on close in clay targets.

If you intend to shoot it much, figure on reloading. Factory fodder is through the roof. Buy four flats of AA HS shells, and load the empties.

I load 11/16 oz in the 28 with Unique. I load to 1250 fps, and breaks are at least as hard as with factory loads. I use nothing larger than 8's.

9. jbshep

jbshep Member

Browning Citori! I have taken mine to South America 5 times and shot ~20,000 doves without a single problem...and it is still tight! - The Berettas are lighter though; if that is important to you. - Brad

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If I were to buy another 28, it would either be a Remmie 1100 or the Browning Citori. Although small and handy, they shoot like a full size gun.

The Remmie slings precious hulls. Otherwise, it is the premier starter gun for new and petite shooters. Great on the Skeet field, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.