1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 ga Peters hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dverna, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

Can I use Remington STS load data with these hulls?

Thanks,

Don Verna

2. 391 SL

391 SL Member

Yes. Don't expect to use them for many loadings though, they do split.

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

391 SL

Thanks

Yes, I know Remmies are poor hulls in the 28 but I got about 600 at less than $.05 ea. Hard to walk away from that.

I have AAHS for hunting loads

Don Verna

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

The last blue Peters 28s I remember were the 2-piece, straight-walled All American hulls. My "Remington's Tips on Better Reloading" (early 70's...pre tube-set/pressure issues) for that hull with 97* primer, and SP28 wad calls for 14.5 grains of Hercules Unique. That's HIGHER than Alliant's current listing for STS/Premier hulls. I'd be inclined to use the lower charge today.

Hodgdon still lists loads for that hull (called Remington Plastic Target Shells at their website). They post very similar loads for that hull and the STS/Premier hulls. Best to check the website posted above yourself.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

meskeet

My Peters hulls are not blue but green???

I think maybe I will call Alliant and see what they suggest.

Don Verna

6. 391 SL

391 SL Member

The ones I have been loading are green.

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Green Peters hulls? You got me beat. I'm not familar with Peters ammo like that.

BTW - How do know they are Peters?

8. 391 SL

391 SL Member

[​IMG]

This is an example of what I have been loading. They have Peters stamped on the base. On the sides of the hull some say Skeet 9 and some have Power Piston 28 Ga only.

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

With that headstamp, if they are blue, they are Peters. If they are green, they are Remington. Same ammo other than the dye in the plastic.

See my first post for loading info.

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

I called Hodgdon this morning and was told to measure the volume of the empties and compare to an STS. If they are the same - I can use any STS recipe. That makes sense as case volume has the largest impact on crimp quality and pressure.

I emailed Alliant and await word.

Don Verna

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Don, would you check volume with water for accuracy? Not trying to be a wise guy, just thinking out loud. I sometimes will measure with an old wooden rule that I have and guess from there. I was concerned with wad height not powder.Perhaps I should have been. All the best, Bob

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Bob Hawkes You could use shot as well as water. Before I used water I would determine what material the base wads are made out of.

391 SL I not trying to be argumentative but every STS and Nitro 27 hull that I have has the same sight on the brass Remington, Peters

Bob Lawless

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

Bob,
    Volume is more accurate. The guy I spoke to suggested using powder but I think water will a better way as powder will settle depending on how it is poured/vibrated.

I do have some ball rifle powder and that may be less sensitive to variation in handling.

Don Verna

14. ivanhoe

dverna

"Bob, Volume is more accurate."

Don just out of curiosity if I used lead shot instead of water what would I be measuring if not volume???

How are you going to compare the volume between the two??? My suggestion was just to make it easier to clean up after one self. I would still be measuring by volume just not with a liquid.

Bob Lawless

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

Ivanhoe,

I was referring to Bob Hawkes' suggestion to use a wooden ruler.

Shot will work too I guess. Good point.

Don

16. ivanhoe

Don sorry just another problem with so many Bobs. I will have to bow to Mr Hawkes he has seniority by virtue of age....LOL

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.