1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 ga. Model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BAP, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BAP

BAP TS Member

I have a chance to purchase a Winchester Model 12 built in 1938. It's a 28 ga. skeet gun but has a Simmons rib and Cutts on it. The stock has been shortened to 13 3/4 and a personalized grip cap. Gun is probably 90% condition. What would you think the value would be on this gun? I know that they are rare but the Cutts and aftermarket rib along with the cut off stock hurts the value .

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Probably $2,500 to $3,000 range. I know, its crazy but they bring upwards of ten grand unaltered and mint.

3. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

Sold my 1937 feild grade the other day 85-90 percent 5100 dollars.

4. Kent

Kent TS Member

A 28 ga. Model 12 was the second shotgun I ever fired. I must have been 7 or 8 years old and my father and some of his friends were at the old manual trap behind the barn. My first shot was an old Savage single shot he had cut down for me but it still was more than I could handle. One of the men there had a gun that fit me fine. A Model 12 in 28 gauge. He only had half a box of shells but I used them all. I don't remember breaking any targets though.

5. jlb

jlb Member

I saw a Model 12 in "28" ga at Cabella's in Fort Worth recently and it was $3,500. It had the stock shortened but was a vent rib gun, simmons round post with offset proof mark. The serial # matched and were in correct range but I think the gun was a build up but it would take someone with more experience than me to know for sure. The serial # were much struck much stronger on the receiver than on the barrel which made me wonder about the provenance of the gun. The salesman would or could not say whether the gun was "real" or a build up.

jlb

6. John Stefanowicz

John Stefanowicz TS Member

With all respect to your judgment, which is probably better than mine was, please be very, very careful in your appraisal of this. What you think you see may not be there. Myself, I've determined that I purchased a fake skeet, with my best evidence coming from the barrel choke constriction. It has several other oddities and is now being brought back to specifications. On this particular gauge I found that people spend a lot of time being creatively deceptive. My previous thread on Model 12 authenticity got a lot of other ideas you might cosider. Good luck, and get what you want, which is the final determination. I would currently price mine at $6250. John

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

There have been more 28ga model 12's built in the last 25 years then Winchester ever built. If you buy a model 12 28ga and are not an expert at telling the fake from the real you may wind up with a real "Deal" be very cautious. Jeff

8. tbuster

tbuster Member

Does anyone out there have a 28 with a solid rib for sale or know of where there is one? Not looking for one in pristine condition. Just a shooter.

9. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Dixie Trap I looked at a 28 ga model 12 just like you descibed but at closer to 95% and un cut wood Friday at the Tulsa Gun Show. Price was $6.300.00. Don't know if it sold. A lot of these guns are over priced and you are correct in doing a price check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.