1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 Ga load using green dot powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by parrothead, Jul 16, 2013.

1. parrothead

parrothead Member

I have a jug of green dot powder that I need to use. Does anyone have a pet 28 ga load using this powder? I am using STS and old style AA hulls and claybuster AA clone wads. Thanks in advance! ~Dan

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Not a good choice in that application. Hold on to the Green Dot (or trade it) and get yourself some Universal Clays or 20/28 powder.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Alliant website reloading guide lists GreenDot recipes for both of those hulls. I use Unique for 28 gauge, which is a similar powder. Mark

4. jacksback

jacksback Active Member

For 28 do yourself a favor and get some 2028 -- it is THE ultimate 28ga powder. Use your GreenDot up on faster 1oz 12ga loads.

5. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Green Dot is a little fast for 28 gauge. Unique is the preferred first generation Alliant powder for the 28.

6. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

Aha! Oregunner is correct. And surprise, surprise, the pressures are lower with Green Dot than with comparable loads with Unique and 20/28. Whodda thunk it?

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Just make sure the recipes are CURRENT and not out of a 40 year old book! Jeff

8. johnpe

johnpe Member

There are a number of published loads using greendot with 3/4 ounce of shot in the 28 gauge. Most of them are in the range of 12 grains, but be sure to check that this is correct with the components you are using. I've shot a lot of greendot 28 gauge loads with great success. I suggest the Alliant web site as the place to start. While it's probably true there are better powders, such a Unique, greendot will work.

Johnpe

9. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Green Dot used to be very popular with the 28 gauge, partly because you could use the same powder with the 12, 20 and 28. Alliant did away with the 20 gauge loads a few years ago at the request of the skeet tube manufacturers, to prevent the very thin 20 gauge skeet tube chambers from cracking. The chambers on 28 gauge skeet tubes are a lot thicker, so not a problem.

The published 28 gauge load on Alliant's web site works well. I have loaded many thousands, and broke many 100's, with this load. The pressure is "high", but they pattern well and hull life is very good, so whats to worry.

Two cautions:

Green Dot does not flow through the measure as smoothly as some other powders, you must operate the press very consistently to get consistent powder charges. I developed the habit of bumping the handle at the bottom of the stroke to make sure the powder bushing filled completely. I know a couple guys who could not make good Green Dot loads because they operated the press very "politely".

Second, since the pressure is already high, this is one of those occasions where you absolutely do not exceed the published data any amount. If you have one bushing just above and one just below the published amount, use the one just below.

Michael Goines

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

My suggestion would be to use 11/16 oz of shot in your 28. The birds will never know the difference.

I have used 3/4 oz in the 20, and 11/16 oz for the 28 in my tube guns for many years.

Breaks are the same, pressures are lower.

11. parrothead

parrothead Member

Thanks to all for the great advice.~Dan

12. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

3/4 oz with 13.5 of 20/28 and claybuster wad. Does a heck of a job on the 16yd.
    Bill

Search tags for this page
28 ga load data
28 ga recipe
28 ga reloading data

28 gauge green dot loads

green dot 28 gauge

green dot 28 gauge loads

green dot powder recipes 28 ga
unique powder 28 gauge