1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 ga. Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tammike, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tammike

tammike Member

Has anyone reloaded the 28 ga. red primed hulls from BP ? If so, is it a tapered 2 pc. like Winchster AA?

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The primed red hulls are Cheddite, and they are a 2pc hull w/separate basewad, but are not designed like the AA-HS.

If you are using Hodgdon powder, they have Cheddite data. Alliant doesn't, but their Federal data works just fine.

Bob

3. tammike

tammike Member

About how many times can you reload the cheddite hull ?

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Depends on lots of factors ... 3-4, probably. Maybe 1-2 more before the crimp burns off.

In the small gauges, AA have the longest reloading life, by far.

5. tammike

tammike Member

Thanks Goatskin ! Im knew to the sub-gauge world and looking for the most bang for the buck.

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

If you have some pocket-change left from what BP did to you, buy a flat or two of AA before 30 Sept and get the $20/flat rebate, and there's your bullets for $7/box, and you get $3.50 worth of hulls for 'free'.

Or ... making even more sense to me all the time (contemplating getting set-up for 28ga sporting clays) pick up all the junk 28ga hulls you can find (nobody picks up Rio or Fiocchi or Federal, and they all load the same); load them 2-3-4 times and fling'em.

What powder are you using, and are you loading for hunting or shooting?

7. tammike

tammike Member

I will probably by a couple flats of Winchester AA and I have not loaded anything yet because, I just got the gun. I'm open to suggestions.

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Several powders work nicely. What other gauges do you load, also? And for what purposes.

Kind of new gun you have, too? 28ga is a lot of fun.

9. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Good resource
    http://28gasociety.proboards.com/

10. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Oregunner is absolutely right, and there are a lot of subgauge experts over on SGW-reloading boards, too.

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

That 686-28 is a sweet, lithe, lively, little piece of a majiic wand.

12½-13-13½gn of Green Dot, RemChester Primer and any wad will work in the Cheddite hulls just fine. Don't use a Fed209A primer unless you back off to 12gn.

When you get some empty AA, there are some different fitment issues: both wad-length and how bulky the powder is.

12. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

tammike and goatskin, not wanting to hijack y'alls thread and comments, if you would be interested in some "old" once-fired Winchester AA's (also mixed in are some Upland, Super-X, and various others), but all of them are the one-piece, standard 6-point crimp that everyone loved so much before the new style HS hulls. I have boxed them up in the USPS Priority mailing boxes (350 hulls per box) and I am only asking $35.00 per box plus shipping if anyone is interested in them. I think $0.10 a hull for some good, once-fired, old-style AA's is a good deal. Let me know if any of y'all might be interested in some of these hulls.

I ended up buying a huge amount of hulls from my old gunsmith's widow after he passed away to help her with some things as well as clean up lots of storage space he had been using for wads and hulls. I have lots of newer style stuff, along with enough older style stuff as well, to suit my needs for small gauge shooting. Might regret selling these, but as of now, I have all of the little gun stuff I can shoot.

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

President- Victoria (Texas) Skeet and Trap Club

13. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Tammike ... send the man some money ... make him tape 2 boxes together, fill the space with WW-28 wads, and take $5 off, etc.

Mike, when you find a source for the Shooting Sombrero ...

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

Note: the old AA hulls will require a different wad than the new AA's. I think the Remington wads will work though.

I should have a number of bags of the old AA style wad. If anyone needs them, PM me and I can check it out. Mike's price seems very fair. New AA's go for $.15 ea.

I have an XS Feather in 28 ga and it is a joy to carry for upland hunting. It is a fun gauge to shoot and deadly out to 35 yards or so.

Don Verna

15. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rem wads work in the HS hulls, not so much in the CF hull...

16. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Mike, if you have any old AA hulls that aren't spoken for I would be interested. I would also be interested in some of the 28 hs hulls if they are the same price. Thanks for your response. Jackie B.

17. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Skeet Man, what I know abt reloading 28 can be writ large in a matchbook cover using Magic Marker, but in the back of my mind, aren't all of the wad fitment problems with the AA-HS hull?

Or is it bulky powders AND AA-HS?

CB makes a HS-only variant, and didn't DR re-do their 28? Shortened it a taste?

Do Red Dusters fit the HS (as well as everything else)?

My last direct experience reloading 28 was dog-years ago, and I used Federal everything, and Herco.

Bob

18. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I'm currently using universal clays, pt28 remington wad, and NSSA max legal shot charge, and have had no problem getting everything to fit. In fact, even though the HS shell takes a little more powder than the STS, everything fits ALOT better than it did in the STS hull. I have heard about component fitting issues, but have no first hand experience. I only use factory wads for competition, and had alot of rem wads left over from shooting sts, so I'll just keep running with those.

19. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

All "old"-style one-piece Winchester AA 28 gauge hulls are SOLD. Thanks

Jackie (Shooting Jack), per my earlier e-mail, the 28 gauge hulls I have for sale are yours and will get with you on the totals and the shipping charges after I find the most cost-effective way to get them to you. I will probably take them out of the USPS "Priority Mail" boxes and incorporate a few of these boxes into White Flyer target boxes and seal them up that way and probably ship them via UPS, if that's alright with you. Mike* (MH*)

20. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Hi Mike,

I got home to find the hulls already sitting on my front porch. Not sure when they came but they look good. Shipping containers held up very well. Will get a check out to you tomorrow. Thanks again. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.