1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 ga hulls--which is best for reloading?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rdf59, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Which 28 ga hull do you like best for reloading. As a 12 and 20 reloader I prefer STS, but another web blog says they are not good in the 28 ga. The complaint is that the crimp area burns or blows out leaving ragged edges.

Comments on the same site say that Winchester AA, especially the HS are the best for longevity. A knowledgeable and very experienced friend who has shot everything said that he purchased several flats of AAHS and many of them had split brass.(don't know if this was new or after the first firing)

Comments?

2. fnj682

fnj682 Member

My absolute favorite is the Winchester compression formed old style. But these are heading into extinction. My second favorite is the Winchester AAHS. Find the correct combination and they are equivalent to the Energizer Bunny. They keep going and going.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

The Blogs you read are correct. The STS's are fine, they just don't last as long as the Win. AA's do!!! That said Win. made a older type and newer type of the 28 ga. HS hulls The older ones are shorter and much less liked. The newer ones for last 2 years or so are a tad longer and can be loaded with more types of powder, so buy new ones to get the longer type. Find some DATA with as low chamber pressures as you can for the 28's and 410's to extend the life of these pricy hulls. Win. AA's have the edge in the 28's and 410's, while the STS's have the edge on 12's and 20's. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Is there a quick and easy way to tell the "new" AAHS from the old shorter ones?

5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

The HS hulls are stamped HS on the brass and marked HS on the plastic. My Brother (the skeet shooter - oh the shame LOL) and his skeet shooting buddies, are pretty much unanimous in their choice of the Winchester AA shells in 28 and 410. Bill Malcolm

6. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

There was a thread on one of the boards that showed some difference in markings but I can't locate it. But I have never found that very reliable anyway. Best way is to just compare them with each other. The variation is pretty obvious, at least to me. For me personally, it is going to be a very sad day when my stash of old CF 28 ga AA's runs dry.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you are going to use the reloads in competition it would help to use the one that holds the most shot and still gets a nice crimp. In 410 and 28 guage that would be the Remington hull. HMB

8. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

AAHS are the best...actually the old AA were better as the were more forgiving when reloading. Once you get you reloader set up the AAHS will be great. You'll be able to shoot them to they split.

Rem tend to not last as long, and eventually will fail by whizzing.

9. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

"If you are going to use the reloads in competition it would help to use the one that holds the most shot and still gets a nice crimp. In 410 and 28 guage that would be the Remington hull. HMB "

I have no problem getting a legal load of shot in an AAHS or STS 28ga hull...

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I am sure you are aware that there is maxinun leagal allowed in Skeet Shoots. Does that fit? HMB

11. TN Man

TN Man TS Member

My favorite is old AA but I'm now in short supply. New AAHS do not crimp well in spite of adjustment (left small holes in center of crimp). STS Nitro is a good 2nd choice to old AA.

12. legman

legman Member

Hitapair, the current AA HS 28 hull is slightly longer than the original version. It is marked differently than the original. The newer hull has the bold letters HS underlined in the same black ink. The first version has no underline. Ken

13. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

HMB- Thats exactly what I was referring to. In fact, using a Claybuster AAHS 28 wad, AAHS hull, 20/28, and NSSA legal max shot charge, there is TOO MUCH room left over.

14. johnboy

johnboy Member

Winchester AAHS in 28 and 410, STS in 20 gauge.

15. high 2

high 2 Member

P3AT, I`m not calling you a liar, but I would love to watch you load a 28ga 10 times and have it be a reload you would shoot in competition. About 4 for me and to the trash can they go. What`s your secret? Larry

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have loaded over 200,0000 rounds of 28ga ammo. It is true that the old style AA's could last a long time. What is also true is that you could get ammo that the brass or the case would split on the intial firing or the first reload.

As long as that didn't happen they were great but it happened more then I liked and I still have lots of them and lots of old style wads. I will use them up and never look back. I am a realist and not the sentimental type when it comes to function. The new HS hulls and the old HS hulls are better then the old style AA ever was. More reloads that are more consistant. I have proven it over the cronograph. The new style hulls prodiuce less velocity loss then the old style hulls. When you get out to 10 reloads or more things start to get iffy. In fact they sometimes get iffy sooner then that depending on the run of plastic in the hulls you are using.

STS burn at he crimp for some reason with my reloads and I have several thousand of the old style STS hulls that were not consistannt in regards to length. What a pain in the ass! You either set up a jig and trim them to length or batch size them and set the press up for the longer cases. Either way it's not worth the effort. I will say this... I like the factory STS skeet load better then the aa. Jeff

17. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Thanks to all of you for some very informative input.

Dick

18. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Having shot and reloaded 28 ga STS and I have to agree, the STS do burn out faster at the throat...the reason looks fairly clear to me, they are just thinner in that area. Makes for a nice crimp, but not longevity.

Also, I have just had too many reloaded STS hulls seperate completely from the brass or shear at the top of the brass and lodge in the tube. Its a complete PIA to get them out and you don't notice it, you can blow up your gun.

I'm not saying this is only true of this manufacturer, but I no longer eject my hulls to the side, they come out into my hand to confirm a whole hull came out.

Now in my K-80 with Briley tubes, the Win HS in 28 ga patterned just a bit better than the STS, but I wouldn't make a big deal out of the difference and I only shot approx 5 shells each at the board. Not really large enough of a set to be statistically in my limited opinion.

Now STS 20 ga can go the distance...great hull to reload.

19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Wonder what 3 flatd of WAA in 410.. and 3 flats in 28 gauge purchased in 1995 are worth.. Unopened.. #9's???

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Not much to me when I can get the new ones with the hS hulls! Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.