1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

28 ga for hunting?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Does anyone on here use a 28ga for hunting? It seems Like it would be a challenge for doves and squirrels.

2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Not really. The 28 gauge is one of our main gauges for doves. LM/IM is great for doves out ot 35 yards. I just loaded #8's for opening day dove.

3. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Worked for Dick Cheney!

4. bentbarrel

bentbarrel TS Member

I will be shooting my 28ga. O/U this year, to make it challenging, our group is only going to shoot male Doves this year.

5. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I use my 28 for everything but ducks and geese.

I can drop a pheasant with copper-plated #6's out to 40 yards.

SW

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

a 28ga is no handicap for doves. I suspect you will see doves hit harder then you have ever seen them hit before.If I center a dove at 30 yards its fit for only the garbage with my full choke 870 28ga. Just shoot factory winchester AA skeet loads. I use 9's but you can use 8's. It will make no diffrence. Don't buy the 1oz loads as they are JUNK. The hardest shot you can buy is in factory skeet loads. The one ounce load is so slow you can run up after you shoot and watch the bird get hit. The factory Winchester Super x 1oz load goes less then 1100FPS. Jeff

7. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Anyone know a Lawyer I can take with me opening day???

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

28ga is perfect for doves unless you are trying to knock then out of the air at long ranges. I've used 8's and 8.5's and found them to do the job with a mod choked gun. My BPS will be heading out for the fun.

ec90t

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Absolutely use tight chokes and handloads with Copper Plated Shot. Like a poster above stated, the 28 will boil a bird, living or clay!

I like two XF's in my Browning. Under 30 yards and they are cat food! The 28 and 16 are MAGIC in the field. It's a shame the ammo and gun companies have treated them like a red headed step child all these years.

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I will make a statement here that many will not belive but it's a fact as I have done it many times. When I shot a lot it was not uncommon for me to shoot 10,000 rounds a year at starlings. You may find this impossible to believe but I stand by this statement. I can't kill a Starling any farther with my best Superx-1 trap guns then I can with my 28ga remington 870 with a fixed full choke and factory winchester aa skeet shells. I can shoot them consistantly at 50 yards and kill them consistanly at 50 yards. I have shot them a hell of a bunch farther then that and any bird 65 yards or less will get saluted. I know that is a bold statement. The 28ga kills way farther then it should.It is by far my favorite gauge and is in no way a short range gun in skilled hands in the right conditions. Guys... My wife broke about 16 to 18 16 yard targets with a 28ga 1100 auto with factory skeet loads and a skeet choke here very first time firing a shotgun! She wasn't shooting them close either! You have seen new shooters shooting targets just at the top of the rise or just when they begin to fall? That is where she was breaking them!!, and not into 2 or 3 chunks either.
    If I could have only one ga I would give up my 10ga and my 12 and shoot only my 28ga. Jeff

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

My daughter will occassionally use her 28 ga. when we hunt geese. She uses 3" Bismuth (#4) and has clean kills with one shot. We hunt over decoys and the shots are within 40 yds.

Curt

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jeff- Your post is easily believable to me. Shooting the Starlings also taught you a lot about shooting. For the average hunter, it is much more difficult to hit one bird flying in a flock of 50 birds than it is to hit one bird flying alone. With so many targets it becomes difficult to look at one target.

28 ga is a great gun to shoot. The shells are lighter when you carry them in the field but at the store the price is a little heavy.

Pat Ireland

13. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

It's the only gun I take afield.

Gave up carrying heavy guns that shot no better nor no farther (I do have a really nice 16 gauge SxS that goes out once in a while). It really comes into play at the end of the day when everyone is getting tired - I still have lots left in me (carry a five ~ six pound gun or an eight ~ nine pound gun - do the math)

I have seen these guns make shots that are unbelievable - ones I am certain 12 gauges would miss... You will not surprise me with any shot these guns make.

My 2 cents.

David D

14. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

QUOTE My daughter will occassionally use her 28 ga. when we hunt geese. She uses 3" Bismuth (#4) and has clean kills with one shot. We hunt over decoys and the shots are within 40 yds. END QUOTE

Curt... Where do you find 3" 28 ga shells?? Are you sure she hasn't snuck in her 20 ga?

15. sxs28ga

sxs28ga TS Member

28ga, one of the best - patterns well - if you do alot of walking, lite guns make the day easier - these guns hold a pattern extremely well - will work great on any upland game at reasonable ranges - great over pointing dogs - one thing I will say, for targets longer barrels smooth out the swing - Beretta has some nice offerings with 30 inch barrels - Cant go wrong with a good 28ga -
    J Mroczka

16. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

For geese I use a 410------------4 inch shells in a 10 gauge.

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Bob...

Her shells could be 2-3/4"?? I just assumed (shouldn't do that) they were 3".

anyhoot...she uses the 28 ga. with success.

Curt

18. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I use a Brownin g BPS 28 ga for all of my upland hunting. I can carry it all day withut any effort. The 3/4 oz load 0f #8 has made a few pretty impressive kills on ruffed grouse. My friends all carry 12 gauges in varying configurations. When they saw a partridge get knocked down at 30 yards with a 3/4 ounce load out of a skeet choke, they were sold. It is a great gun to start a kid on due to the reduced weight and recoil from a 20 gauge.

Jeff

19. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

I used to rabbit hunt a lot and I bought a BPS 28 just to try something different. I was amazed at some of the shots I made with this little gun. In my opinion the 28 is very underrated as a hunting gun.

Tom

20. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I use the 28 guage for about 20% of my hunting, the balance with the 20 guage. I hunt huns, sharptails, and mostly Arizona's quail. I have never had any problem killing these birds cleanly.

I like the Winchester Super Sport shell with 71/2's for most of my hunting, but I also use B&P 7's and Federal Premium copper 6's. All are 3/4 oz. I hate the 1 oz loads, way to slow for my taste. If you need more shot go to a larger guage gun.

Tom Strunk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.