1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**** 28" Barrel ? ****

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ismah, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismah

ismah Member

Is there really a dis-advantage using a gun with a 28" barrel from the 16 yard line??
    Bill B.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Auto or pump, no. Single barrel or O/U, maybe. HMB

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Bill,

Some will say that the shortened sighting plane can be a little bit of a hinderance, but I think is has more to do with the shooter being comfortable than anything else.

Ballistically there is very little difference between it and a longer barrel. The powders burn so quickly these days, at least the ones you'd use for singles, that a longer barrel will gain you little in the way of shell speed. I game shoot with a guy that has a 28" barreled M12 and it breaks targets out as far as any of the 34" barrels with a 1300 FPS load.

ec90t

4. ismah

ismah Member

My preference in gun style is a pump action. I regularly shoot a Wingmaster Classic Trap but own a real nice Winchester 1300 with a 28" barrel. I don't shoot it because - - I'm superstitious I guess. I'm shooting the 870 real well now and don't want to change anything. I'd like some input from anyone with experience shooting trap with a 28" barrel.

5. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

For me, at the 16 yd line, with shorter barrels I shoot quicker than with longer barrels. I have both 26" and 30" barrels for my SuperX2, and with the 26" I can hit 'em much sooner. I have to be a little more deliberate with the 30".
    HTH - AndyH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.