1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

270 vs 30 06

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mike T, Dec 23, 2016.

1. mike T

mike T Member

Will a 270 do anything a 30 06 can do? I mean what,are the limits of game size each can or should take?

2. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Mike
    Just my humble opinion and I don't own the 30-06 but do a 270
    If you look thru loading books, the "06 is almost there with the 300 win mag.
    Differences are minute.....barely

With that being said, what are you trying to take down?

Rick in MT

3. x73

x73 Member

I've used the 270 for 50 years and think it can do anything a 06 can do, so did Jack O'Conner but I'm sure others will disagree......been argued about since 1925.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

270 started to challenge 30-06 since it first came out, many people liked this flatter shooting cartridge over the bench mark 30-06.
    But 270 has to stay under 150 gr. bullets, 30-06 can go all the way to 220 for practical purpose.

A friend had been hunting with a 270 all his life, I always thought he is one of those swear by this cartridge people until one day I asked him about his choice of 270 over 30-06, he said: "Because I got this rifle for free when I was 18."

dgh thanked this.
  5. DuckNut

DuckNut Well-Known Member

You might think twice using a 270 on a moose, elk or bear. But will take all other North American game properly.

6. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

A 270 will do anything a 30-06 will do for all animals in USA below elk.

The 30-06 can shoot heavier bullets more effectively to kill tougher game.

Chance McCall, Leo and amboy49 thanked this.
  7. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I think the development of better hunting bullets in the years following the origination of the .270 have closed the gap. If you're a believer in knock down power go with the 30-06 and heavier bullets.

If you like flat shooting out to an effective range of 300 yards get the .270. As was said, Jack O'Conner was a huge proponent of the .270. I seem to recall he shot a few N.A. animals back in his day. I'm not sure I would take either for the big bears. For moose the .270 might be a little marginal.

Everything else after that take your pick.

topgunoh thanked this.
  8. mike T

mike T Member

I have,a270. I hand load for. I have shot 1/2 in groups at 100yds. Like it very much. Just always thought I would like a,3006 as it is 270s big brother. I may never shot more than a milk jug full of water. Or a clay target. Just asking question. I have,read all about the 270 and what jack did,with it. I think that is,why I bought my rem. Bld 40 years ago. Thanks. Mike t

9. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Either one will take any North American big game animal. The correct bullet, correctly placed, will handle elk, moose, and bears, up to, and including, polar bears. I have a Conservation Officer from Nunavut come in the store every year, who uses a .270 if he has to dispose of a problem polar bear. I was talking to him about polar bears, and he told me the Eskimos quite often use 22-250s. That little bullet, when placed in the neck, right behind the skull, hits the spine and just explodes, which has the effect of decapitating the bear. They take their time, maneuver for the shot, and don't take the shot unless it is perfect.
    As mentioned above, the 30-06 has a greater variety of bullet weights available, while the 270 is restricted to lighter bullets at faster speed. While I shoot a 308, it still uses the same 30 caliber bullets as the30-06, and I have taken deer, moose, and black bears with it, usually one shot kills. I use 150 grain bullets for deer, and 180s for bears and bigger animals. Bullet construction is more important, in my mind, than weight. For a big or dangerous animal, a bullet that holds together, mushrooms, and penetrates, is the ticket.

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I like the 30-06 because I bought a Springfield 1903 Camp Perry match rifle in 1980 for $100 from a small pawn shop/country store in rural Kentucky. This rifle was not government issue an as the receiver serial number is over 1,100,000, made in 1920 and double heat treated, so it is safe to shoot. The barrel is a Rock Island Arsenal 4 grove made in 1911 and is pristine. The rifle has the Lyman aperture rear sight sight and the Lyman globe front sight with inserts. I started to reload metallic because of this rifle. When I pulled the rifle out of a "junk gun" barrel, it was covered with drywall dust and grease but it cleaned up real nice. It shoots lights out and I have been offered $700 - $1,000 for it from shooters who want it for 1000 yard matches at Ft. Knox.

Later, I bought a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 and put a Leupold 3x9x40mm AO on it and took many a deer with it.

The 30-06 was Ernest Hemingway's favorite caliber and he used a sporterized 1903 Springfield with Lyman aperture sights. In his book, The Green Hills of Africa, a true narrative of a safari in Kenya in the 1930's, he takes a wide variety of African plains game and dangerous game including Lion, Kudu and Cape Buffalo using 220 grain solids and the Lyman aperture sight. In pictures from other sources, my Springfield and his look identical in the receiver area. My stock is the military stock with a pistol grip while his has been restocked with a sporter stock. The action and trigger are smooth as silk.

The 270 is a fine caliber but I like the 30-06. I preferred Remington Core Lokt PSP 180 grain bullets for deer as they always got to the vitals and did not destroy much meat. In Kentucky, 100 yards is a long shot.

Here is a 1903 Springfield Camp Perry Match Rifle in action:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  11. aloha one

aloha one Well-Known Member

Tough question correct answer is to get both, and a 300 weatherby, and 375 H&H and a 22-250 and a .243 then all you have to do is fill in the pukas (holes). This is why the sell large safes so you can fill them up also makes hiding new stuff from the wife easier but I digress. I have found that you must own at least 100 different firearms to be satisfied you have things covered. Tough to hear, but oh so true.
    Aloha

12. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I hunt in Colorado for Antelope, Mule Deer and Elk when ever I can draw a tag for over 30 years now. I use a .270 with 150 gr. Nosler Partition bullets or a 30-06 with 150 gr. Nosler Partition bullets with no difference in performance on Deer or Elk. All my girls have killed Deer and Elk with my .270 when they were young. My youngest daughter has her own 30-06 now, as a college graduation gift, for all her hunting now. It has taken 2 Elk and 2 Mule Deer so far. Her husband uses it too while grandpa (me) watches their little boys. When my son graduated he got a .300 WBY that he loves for Deer and Elk but uses his .240 WBY for Antelope.

I also use a .243 with 100 gr. Nosler Partition bullets mostly on Antelope, but have killed several Deer and 1 Elk with the little .243 too. I have shot several Elk with my .300 WBY and even my .375 H&H. My favorite 2 guns are a Remington M700 KS in .270 and an old M70 (pre-64) in 30 Gov't 06. Always Leupold scopes and Nosler Partition bullets. Works for me every time as I'm old school.

If you get a quality rifle in .270, .280 or 30-06 with a good scope you can hunt about anything. Now that we have all the choices of bullets and power levels it's hard to not favor a 30-06. You can buy shells in any store selling ammo all over the world. Shoot straight and make a good shot with a quality bullet and eat well all winter. Good Luck!

1100 REMINGTON MAN thanked this.
  13. Bigcat

Bigcat Well-Known Member

If I only had one rifle it would be my 06.

Don Rackley thanked this.
  14. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

No direct experience with this aspect of the round, but it is said that the 270 can really destroy meat when taking game. Especially when compared to the 30'06.

Too many people have said this for me to see it as only anecdotal. I have seen the damage as well.

That being said, shot placement is paramount, and given like situations the 270 is a flatter shooting round, so it should carry out further with greater ease.

15. omgb

omgb Banned User Banned

I prefer the 06 because of the wider variety of bullets available and because it has more umpf when taking on larger game. Both rounds will get the job done. FWIW, a more careful reading of O'Conner will reveal that he used an 06 more frequently than his beloved .270. A reading of Keith will lead you to believe that anything less than .333 is a wounder not a killer. So I guess there is no definitive answer to your question.

Now for the kicker...I usually load my 06 down to 30-40 velocities tp help preserve meat so I guess I don't need that umpf factor as much as I want it.

16. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Well-Known Member

This is easy if you hunt game smaller than Elk most of the time buy the .270 Win. If you hunt Elk or larger buy the 30-06.
    What some here need to know bullet's have come a long way. I would rather hunt Elk with a .270 Win and a Nosler Interbonded bullet of 140gr than a 30-06 with old cup and core bullet. Truth is either rifle is more than adequate for ELK and a lot better than a arrow which kill Elk ever year.
    Just my $.02 cents
    Either is not a bad choice. .270 Win recoils less

rw993 thanked this.
  17. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe

My first rifle was a 700 BDL in 06, the reason being is one time we were deer hunting north of Gillette Wyo one time and ran low on shells, the closest place to the ranch we were hunting on was in Weston, not really a town, it was a general store with a post office, when we went for shells the fella that owned it asked what do you want 30-30 or 30-06?

That was my deciding factor, but I am sure they carry many different ones now

HSLDS thanked this.
  18. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had a pre-64 .270 and traded it for a 7mm Rem. Mag. in 1976 to use for elk hunting in Colorado. I love the 7mm but I kick myself all the time for trading in that pre-64 .270. Actually, I should have had my ass kicked. Anyway, that 7mm has taken alot of game over the years.

19. 308

308 Member

Try light for caliber Barnes Triple Shocks in the 270, speed kills!

20. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

A more practical way of thinking is, a .30-06 will do everything a .270 will do and has more "bonk" for the bigger species when loaded with a good 180 or 200 gr. Nosler Partition or Barnes. If you need more horsepower than a .30-06 the next logical stop is a .338 WM or .375 H&H

Search tags for this page

270 vs 30-06

270 vs 3006
30 06 vs 270