1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

27 yd line choke, what to use in the wind

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BLACKDOG, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

I would like here from other 27 yd line shooter's about what choke to use on windy days. Last Sat. I shot really bad until I changed chokes, started with a .035 and changed to a .015. Using a Comp N Choke with ports, # 8 shot, reloads with a speed of 1280 fps. I am shooting a 391 with a 30 in barrel. MY scores went from 19, 20 to a 24 with out any other changes, shooting on the VERY same trap. The wind was coming mostly from behind, at little from the left. Last week the same thing happened, but I went to a .025 choke and inproved a little. I have since 1980, this whole thing does not make make any sense to me at all. Thank's to any one that response's

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

You are asking for some advice from long yardage shooters that shoot in the wind on occasion. You want to know what we do to compensate for the wind. Here is the best advice I can give you: DO NOT CHANGE CHOKES IN THE WIND. Changing from a nice, tight full choke to a more open choke in the wind is not the thing to do. A more open choke in the wind is trouble from the moment you pull the trigger. The reason for your difference in scores is you, not the choke! I, personally, want the tightest full choke I can get on a windy day with a 3dr. load of 71/2 shot, and I would bet that the majority of long yardage shooters would agree with me. If you are using a .035" choke on your normal handicap, stay with it. Pay more attention to your technique, set up, and your fundamentals. Shooting in the wind takes more concentration and it's important to pay more attention to what the target is doing than it is to worry about whether you have the right choke in your gun. This may not be the advice you were wanting to hear but it is the best advice I can give you based on many years of shooting registered targets in the wind....Just my experience...Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. JStephens

JStephens TS Member

Dan gives good advice....It's full choke for me (Wilkinson .035)no matter what the weather, on a really windy or colder than normal day I may opt for 7 1/2's, but have used 8's as well. When it's windy or the lighting is poor, don't change anything, just keep telling yourself not to move the barrel until you see the target and keep that head down. I wish I could follow my own advice all the time : )

Good Luck,

John Stephens

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

There's always standing before the fire spreading rumors about Coors and guns; Bush and the war; some village missing it's obligatory idiot.... Nah, Dan's got it, just work on the techniques and shoot the bird without screwing with you mind by thinking. Well, John's got it right too! OK Dan and John send your $10 for the kudos....Bob Dodd

5. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

I understand both TRAP2 and JStephens thought process's however the scores changed each week after going to a .015 choke. The targets where broken hard with the .015 choke, much harder than the .035 or .025 chokes. Does not make seem right to me either. Two weeks ago on a Wed night league the same thing happened, please tell me why ?????

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Were you shooting quicker because you knew you had an open choke? Are you sure it Mics at .015? If it works, why change?

Tighter chokes force you to be a more disciplined shooter and are more reliable for a good pattern % at the target distance. The mass cuts wind better too. Less flyers. Also lets you see if your hitting tops and bottoms of the targets so you know how to adjust. But...if it works, why change?

7. Odawgp

Odawgp TS Member

the fullest, choke you have check a turkey choke it maybe be even tighter than your .035.?

when I shoot in the wind, specially one that is pushing the birds down I switch guns and use a field grade gun seems to work for me.

Good Luck

clint

8. Lyle

Lyle Member

I agree with Dan and John......How ya been John?

Here is some food for thought on the more open choke working better. Could it be, just maybe, that resistance has something to do with a pattern dispersing? If so, would "lack of resistance" then keep a pattern tighter longer? The man who asked the question said there was primarily a tail wind, therefore a lack of resistance as compared to a wind in your face and thus the reason for a better score and pattern with the open choke.

How is that??? lol

If all else fails, listen to John.........he knows how to hit them.

Lyle

9. Lyle

Lyle Member

PS.....I use the same choke for everything. Wilkinson .033

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I strongly suspect the major change you made was not in the chokes but in your mind. Your mental concentration is much more important than the choke you use.

For me, I take my full choke tube out about once every 2-3 years. I look at it for a few seconds and screw it back in.

Pat Ireland

11. JStephens

JStephens TS Member

Howdy Lyle,

Doing great.....are you going to be able to attend the Inland this year?

Hope all is well....

John

12. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Read the article at the link shown above. If you can get an 80% or better pattern in a 30" circle at 40 yards go ahead and use your open choke otherwise the advice given to you applies.

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

From the Technoids article, above:

"Many people happily go through their shooting careers using less
    than optimal choke for the edge-on birds. They break enough targets to
    have faith in their choke selection. When they do not break a bird, they
    assume that they have simply missed. They never consider the fact that
    a little tighter choke might have given them a slightly larger effective
    pattern and that might have given them the bird. Remember the words
    of John Satterwhite, US Olympic Skeet Team 1976, who was quoted
    here before: "I want the best pattern I can get because when I miss, I
    don't miss by much."

This is a great article, and one that is very well worth the read if you are unsure of the necessary choke required to do the job from the yardage you are shooting from......Dan Thome (Trap2)

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

To add a little, which choke would you rather be shooting in a stiff wind at a registered target from 27 yards? Your .015" choke, which is a little less than "Modified", shown from the chart below to give T=60%. I would much rather be shooting a .035" choke, "Full", or, shown from the chart below to give T=80%. It really is a no brainer, and, for the most part, the figures here don't lie. Here is the chart from the article.

"Note that Brindle is using a high quality shell. Lower quality
    shells will produce slightly different numbers. A 50% pattern from a
    high quality shell will have less center weighting than a 50% pattern
    from a low quality shell. Here is how Brindle lays it out. Where "T" is
    the TOTAL PERCENTAGE of shot in the 30" circle, "10" is the 10" center
    bullseye of the pattern, "20" is the 10" to 20" ring and "30" is the 20"
    to 30" ring:

T=40%(Cyl): 10"=5%, 20"=15%, 30"=20%
    T=50%(I.C.): 10"=8%, 20"=18%, 30"=24%
    T=60%(Mod): 10"=10%, 20"=22%, 30"=28%
    T=70%(I.Mod): 10"=13%, 20"=27%, 30"=30%
    T=80%(Full): 10"=17%, 20"=33%, 30"=30%
    T=90%(XFull): 10"=25%, 20"=47%, 30"=18%

Dan Thome (Trap2)

15. Lyle

Lyle Member

John,
    I sure would like to attend the Inland but as you know life is full of choices. I will have to choose which to go to. I would like to attend the Hoppe followed by the Inland, and then the Idaho State. However, since they are on consecutive weeks that is going to be tough. I know the Inland is a great shoot but I can't miss that much work to go to all of these shoots right now.

I am considering the Hoppe since it is a quality shoot and I can still compete for the HOA and only miss one day of work to do it. But who knows, maybe I'll get fired this afternoon and then I will shoot every weekend until I run out of money!! lol

Hope you are doing well and I wish you luck. Are you going to the Hoppe?

Lyle

16. JStephens

JStephens TS Member

Lyle,

Nope on the Hoppe this year, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you with kids/work etc.., both are Quality shoots but the Inland is a better and closer choice for us, I've attended the Hoppe a couple times before and it is a great one forsure....I hate to miss it....but you know how it goes : ) If I do see you at the Inland, then I'll know you opted for early retirement LOL. On a different note....if the Salmon are looking strong....let's get you up here for a day or two.

John

17. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

27 yard line, what to use in the wind???

How about this..... extra sharp concentration and skill shooting the target?

18. bigben

bigben Active Member

Levi, the first thing in order is to have a good quality bore mic and mic your bore as some 391 barrels are much larger than others which would cause a serious overchoke in the tighter constrictions resulting in blown patterns. Take your bore ie 739- whatever and measure each of your choke tubes so you get 33 to 40 thou constriction, bore minus choke tube size, shoot the tubes on paper using your shells, make sure that the tubes are shooting straight and go get em! incinerate em!

19. Lyle

Lyle Member

John,
    I will go ahead and take all the money at the Hoppe then and leave the Inland cash for you.

Salmon? you bet! Are you talking fall fish or springers??

Lyle

20. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

This response to Stevei-ct thanks for your smart-ass response, what yard line do you shoot from. Other response's except the ones about fishing, where good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best 27yd line trap choke
choke for wind

more open choke for wind

open chokes in the wind
tighter chokes on windy days
what choke tube to use in windy weather
what shotgun choke to be used in windy weather