1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

27 yd handicap gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KelleyPLK, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Can anyone kinda generalize in ways to set a handicap POI for 27 yd line . Im not wanting to be using lots of spacers and lifting the comb every other shoot
    When shooting normal targets where would one set his POI above the target on
    paper . I have heard 3 in @ 13 yds I have heard 15in at 40 yds . Ive been shooting 15 years and still havent got a real Good Idea where to set the POI .
    I need a little more experince /I want to use gun to shoot 27 yd only ! Thank You

Pat Kelley

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

The general thought is that for handicap, the gun should shoot higher but how much higher depends on the shooter. One person could shoot your gun and it might shoot low for him. Another shooter might do the same thing and the gun shoots high for him.

Checking the POI will tell you where the gun shoots from a rest, and this can be important. But, it may not indicate where you shoot the gun.

My gun is set up to shoot 7 inches high at 13 yards. This could be way off for another shooter.

Pat Ireland

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Pat, I can offer some help, but you are the one to really determine how high your gun should shoot.

About a year ago I plotted all the trajectories out in a CAD program and reported on the results. Since you are only interested in 27 yard caps, that's where I'll start.

First, it is helpful if you estimate the average distance you take your targets at. The "consensus" is that most good handicap shooters take their targets between 42 and 45 yards away. So divide by three and you get 14 for 42 yards and 15 for 45 yards. That's how far away from the pattern board you should stand when shooting for POI.

Let's take 42 yard hits. If you stand with 14 yards between your muzzle and the paper and adjust your gun to precisely center your POA, you have a flat shooting gun if it's an unsingle. Slightly high shooting if it's a top single. Zeroed at 14 yards, the shot will recross the your Line Of Sight at 46 yards, never having risen more than .8" above LOS. Drop at 50 yards is .5". With that established, every 1" high at 14 yards equals 3" high at 42 yards.

The same applies for 45 yard targets. Zeroed at 15 yards, your shot will recross LOS at 45 yards, never having risen more than .6" above LOS. Every 1" high at 15 yards equals 3" high at 45 yards.

Now for the tougher part. Let's take a straight away from Post 3. If you shoot sustained lead (you track the target with your bead at the same speed the target is moving) and put your bead right on the target, matching target speed and tracking the target, your gun will have to shoot 12.5" high at 42 yards to center a 42yard target. That's how much the target moves in the time it takes the shot to get there.

So, if you shoot sustained lead, you want a gun that shoots 12" high at 40 yards or 12.5" high at 42 yards, or 13.5" high at 45 yards to center your target.

If your swing is faster than the target, the speed of the swing builds in some lead automatically. So if you kiss the target and pull the trigger, you will shoot high. So back down on your POI to compensate. The faster you swing, the lower you will have to set your POI to center the target.

Go to the practice trap and try out the settings. Since almost everyone moves the gun faster than the target is moving, I'd try an initial setting of 3" high at 14 yards. That will give you 9" high at 42 yards. Then adjust your rib and or comb to give you well centered targets with the bird/bead relationship you prefer. It will probably take you a couple of sessions to get it dialed in. Sooner or later you will find a setting that is natural and comfortable. When you do, go shoot for POI at 14 or 15 yards and record the results. Then if something changes you acan always recreate the original settings.

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Thanks zzt.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

ZZT, is right on. My gun is set up about 3.5" high at 13 yards. I'm a fast shooter taking the targets at 40-41 yards sometimes 38-40 on straights. Per my computer Dryfire system. I smoke straight aways, but have to stay under hard rights and lefts.

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

It is VERY IMPORTANT to pattern a gun at the distance you BREAK your target or some ratio to that known distance.

I would get someone to stand to the side a ways a way, of course, and try to plot/determine the distance at which you actually hit and break the target. That is a good place to zero in on setting the POI.

Some folks shoot faster than others, and I'd wager to say that it varies a great deal.

I shoot a very high gun because I shoot extremely fast, and therefore break my targets at a closer distance than the average shooter. Consequently, my targets are always rising, and I then require a higher shooting gun and more open choke. My gun probably would not work form most shooters.

In conclusion, either check the POI in this manner or do as suggested, and shoot straight-a-ways at post 3 from your handicap yardage. Incidentally, I am not too concerned about smoking a target. I rather break 100 than smoke 99.

I use a bore laser in my shop at a known distance to set up my adjustable stocks. I also shoot a bit lower gun in doubles.

IMHO.

WW

7. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Quick to targets ! I am thinking 13 yds at 3 in might be right without looking but how do I get there . maybe from side to side Poi ei swing gun from right or left to stationary target but not aiming, shooting . Im working a new stock and its not done yet .

I thank You all for feed back cause I can and do learn everyday

Pat Kelley

8. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

First thing I did was have Ken Eyster "competition choke" my barrel ( KS-5 Special ). After 8 hours of shooting, back boring, honing and more shooting, had a pattern that was great. Then sat on post 3 and adjusted till I had smoke and it shot where I looked. Don't know or care what the poi is. At this point I was on the 20 or 21, don't remember. In one shooting season, I was on the 27.
    Then I went into the dumper somewhat. Guess that happens. Good luck, Nubs Wagner.

9. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

This has been very enlightning folks thank you all so much for your experinces and help . I will take all the recommendations and use them . Thank You

Pat Kelley

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

poi for 27 yd handicap