1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

27 Yard Shooter who shoots in Class D Singles

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blackfoot, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Have been noticing a few back line handicap shooters who shoot Class D singles and shoot high single scores at the important big shoots. Is this a common occurance? I would appreciate your opinion on this. Thanks

2. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

A 27 yard shooter should be classed no lower than A.

3. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

He either doesn't belong on the 27 or in D class.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If they are in a Calcutta....buy them!

5. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

D CLASS. OH NO NOT AGAIN . i am staying out of this one . lol

6. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

OK Here is a possibility. Just because someone shoots from the 27 DOES NOT MEAN THEY NECESSARLY BELONG THERE. With the current punch system it IS possible to get to the 27 without much ability. For instance, at small shoots I have seen many punches for scores in the 80s. Remember high score on 15 shooters or more(regardless of what that score was) gets a punch. I have even got punched for scores in the low 70s . The only real test is to look up their average. If the guy is a rock e'm sock e'm handicap shooter then there is probably a skunk in the wood pile, however if he rocks on in 70s to 80s he probably does not belong at the back fence anyway. The figures will tell the tale. I know if I was doing the classifying I would be checking his card very carefully. If he shoots really good scores in 16 on occassion, then seems to run low ones at small shoots it is a real clue that something is rotten in Denmark.

7. grammie

grammie TS Member

There are a lot of shooters in Arizona that are on the back fence,,,a lot,,,but not all of them can shoot singles!!! Matter of fact,,,singles is their weak game,,because they do not shoot them!!

But they generally are in B class,,and to them "singles" is something you do at a State Shoot,,and thats about it!!

In anwser to your question,,,,No... it is not common!!!! Matter of fact,,,it is "odd"!!!! But there may be a reason other than bagging......

AKA Grammie..........

8. trap_shooter2000

trap_shooter2000 Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I know a AAA singles shooter that broke a 185 in the singles yesterday at the Cardinal Classic. lol Me Tony W.

9. 27 yrdz

27 yrdz TS Member

someone call a game warden ....he's over the limit for 1 days catch......

10. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

11. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

I cant believe I actually took the time to read this. Life is too short to fish on a stupid website. Go to the pond dude. Catch something you can eat. You know.........something........whats the word here.......TURDWORTHY. Thats my word for the day. TURDWORTHY.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tony W. did make a revealing post above. Tony is a top shooter and a good person. The good people have problems on some days.

Back to the original question. I know two shooters who because of infirmities, can now only shoot a few singles targets, and they have difficulty with them. Their last handicap and doubles targets were shot many years ago. Both of them, based on their current card and last doubles scores, are properly classified as D-27-A. They cannot get a 1000 bird handicap review if they do not shoot 1000 handicap targets.

Pat Ireland

13. Over-the-Hill

Over-the-Hill Member

This same question came up at a recent event. How could a D class singles shooter be at the 27 yard line. I was told that this person had in his past had the "uncanny" ability to run 25 straights from the 20 yard line and win the magnum purses and then miss enough birds not to gain any yardage. He did this in enough events that he was "awarded" a 10 year stint at the 27 yard line. True or false?? I don't know. But a good story.
    OtH

14. bas

bas Member

But Pat...a shooter, who due to infirmities that cannot shoot enough targets for a review - CAN ask for a special review....that is, if they want off the 27 yard line.

15. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Washington State has a couple of these "sportsmen"!

16. jackaroo

jackaroo TS Member

just because someone is a good handicap shooter does not mean he can shoot great from the 16 yd line.

17. smartass

smartass TS Member

yea, sure, jackaroooooooo- that really makes sense.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Betty- Yes, a shooter with special problems can request a special review, but if the shooter has not shot any handicap targets for 6-7 years and only about 300 singles targets each year, there is no advantage to the special review. These people I referred to have essentially quit shooting because of their physical problems.

Not every shooter has the fortitude that a good friend of yours and mine has to continue to struggle through physical problems and keep shooting. I don't know if I would be that strong but I greatly admire others who are.

Pat Ireland

19. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

So a guy who doesn't shoot any HC targets for 6-7 years can still stay at the 27? That is plain Rules foolishness.

20. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question but why on earth would someone that has made the 27 be interested in a D class win? The way I look at it if a new shooter tells me that he or she won the D class I congratulate them and tell them to keep at it and soon they’ll be winning the AA. But if a long yardage shooter tells me that he won the D class, with a puzzled look on my face I’d say “so fing what”. I remember how discouraged my wife was when she first started shooting. She’d be happy coming off the line with an all time best in the high 80s only to have her bubble burst when a mid or long yardage shooter with a K80 and a few 100 straight patches beat her out for the win. But like all new shooters I told her not to worry and eventually she left the sandbaggers behind as her scores improved and she moved up in class.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.