1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

27 yard line

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nailer123, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

What choke do you like for handcap . i shoot bt99 with factor full im thinking
    xfull

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Full is just fine unless you just have the desire to spend money on a choke you really do not need.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

In line with Shawn's correct observation, I'd get an aftermarket full or extra-full, any brand at all.

Neil

4. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

What brand of after market choke is the best for the buck. i love to just smoke the target nothing but dust.

5. Neil Winston

I don't know. I'll bet most are fine. If you have Invector chokes in your BT then you really need something better. If they are Invector Plus, then the advantage of aftermarkets is less clear and may hardly be there at all.

You'll not get much smoke from the 27 with any choke on a regular basis unless

1. You shoot without delay

2. Shoot with good accuracy.

Neil

6. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

i do have invector plus

7. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

How is it shooting now? Does it break the targets or are you having a problem because it may not be the choke.

8. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

It smoke them out to about 24 . Im shooting 1 once diana 8 shoot should i go to 7 1/2 1 1/8 0nce

9. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Oh heck yeah ... but be sure its a hot zingy load as well so when it gets to the target it really smacks the begeebers out of the target so it goes POOFY in the air.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am not overly concerned with what might be stamped on the choke I use. I do want a choke that gives a full choke pattern with Winchester Super Handicap shells. Six out of 10 patterns I shot with my choke labeled IM were tighter than five, out of 10, most open patterns shot with the full choke tube. The choke I use is labeled IM.

Pat Ireland

11. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Now Pat,

Everyone knows you have to shoot FULL choke. It's disturbing to think that you would get on here and leave threads stating that you are shooting something other than. :)

Rickyd

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My Ljutic has a .730 bore and a .030 constriction. It smokes targets from the 16 to the 27, as long a the bozo pullin' the trigger is doin' his part!!

13. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

I use Briley LF(30 thou) Smoke all the way back
    Sonny

14. Neil Winston

Pat, I hope you aren't saying that, based on the evidence you present here, that you've concluded that the IM shoots tighter than the full.

And nailer123, in summer you might want to check the pattern percentage at 40 yards just to be sure, but with Invector Plus I'll bet you are just fine now.

Neil

15. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Truth be told....I shoot Mod/IM/LF from 16 to 30 (yes 30yd for Oakleys). I've won 2 Oakley's "shoot-offs" from 50 yds with my Mod (comp n" choke). I've only "smoked" with my IM and LF....but my son-in-law has "smoked" from 27 yds with my Mod.IT IS the SHOOTER !Chipping has little to do with the choke...anyone can "chip" with an Xfull, but if you're "zeroed" in....any good choke will "smoke-em".However...full's are more popular for whatever reason.I use my LF to get "zeroed".....then use IM/Mod. dependeing on Loads/Wind/Weather/etc.

16. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

Nailer123

You may want to measure you choke tube constriction. Sometimes the manufacturer labels the choke "full" but its actually something else. When you measure the constriction then you have a much better idea of what you are working with. The next step would be a pattern sheet to check for pattern density. For me 35 thou works just fine from the 27 as long as I do my part.

Cheers

Gavin

17. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Not all guns will shoot the same. Some, including mine, pattern better with a improved modified choke. But alas you should check before making changes. - Jim

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

FWIW-----the Browning Invector Plus "FULL" CT that I measured was .030" under bore. "Xtra Full" measured .040"

BTW-----Browning Invector Plus "IM" measured just .020", it's a fact----Browning chokes are on the loose side.

John C. Saubak

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Having been on the 27 for over 35 years I shoot Full Choke .035 restriction and
    long forcing cones in all my guns, presently shooting .740 bore 35 inch Bbl
    fixed full choke, release trigger.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Shawn and Neil are correct about Browning factory chokes being more open than others because Browning uses a different rating system. The link shown above shows the constrictions Browning chokes are supposed to have. When I had a Citori I needed Extra Full for long yardage Handicap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.