1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

27 yard line HELP

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by roper, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roper

roper TS Member

I have been shooting regularly now and my singles scores are good but then back at the 27 it isnt so pretty is there some exercies or something I need to try to get back in the groove. Thanx

ROPA

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

practice from that line,..usually a higher POI helps a good bit...its hard to make the 27 practicing from the 20

3. DON JR

DON JR TS Member

take your reductions,its the best thing to do,dont stand on the 27 yd line and never win.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

J.D. - Is shooting handicap really easier than singles? If so, I must be making many more mistakes than I now think I am making. Also, you suggested to slow down when shooting from the 27. That does not work at all for me. I hold a lower gun and shoot faster.

Your last suggestion "have fun" may be the most difficult. I enjoy shooting, but many times I do not enjoy shooting from the 27. Unfortunately, my ATA card requires me to do so.

Pat Ireland

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If handicap is so easy, why haven't I broke 100 at the 27? I'll shoot lights out for a month then throw in an 84.

6. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

Ireland, take your reductions and you will find you shoot better scores from closer up. Compare your 16 yard average to your handicap average for proof.

7. Setterman

southbend, are you suggesting our handicap ave scores should be even close to our 16 ave? I wish! Maybe I'm behind the learning curve?

8. ohsandbagger

ohsandbagger TS Member

Blue dot 1 oz. 3/8 of 6's ! just kiddin,can't get away with shooting right at targets from the 27 and getting lucky breaking back side of targets.Just an opinion.

Rob B

9. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

I'm not a 27 yard shooter, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last nite, so here goes.

Every time I got near the 27 yard line, I found it to be more difficult to hit the targets....critical errors in gun movement seemed to direct my shot charge away from the target. I guess I just never got it and thought that it was easier up closer. I sure wish someone had told me handicap was easier when I started shooting ( I've pretty much got myself "brainwashed" into thinking it's more difficult these days)

The reality is you probably just need to practice more from that particular yardage to improve...since you state that your scores at the 16 are pretty good, then we will expect improvement commensurate with practice.

P3AT states......"Don't practice from less than the 24 yard line, you can't get any closer till you're 65 or have a medical exemption"

I have been looking for that rule in the rulebook and can't find it at all...it must be there, I just can't find it.

Bob T.

10. tstevens09

tstevens09 TS Member

My league team shoots at 27 yards every week and I've learned that at that range there isnt much difference, it's strictly a mental thing. You really have the same visual gap between your bead and target as you do at 16 yards. Hold your bead the same distance away from the target at 27 yards as you would at 16 yards. The biggest thing that gets me is me telling myself that there is something different that i have to do to break targets. When i tell myself to just shoot them i do a lot better.

Travis S

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Welcome to the land of the big boys (27 yards), back fence, out back, big dogs, ect. I've been on the 27 for 25 years and shot 99's in perfect weather, and 71 once in a 30mph in your face wind. One takes his lumps on the 27. I have, as everyone that makes the 27 will attest to have had many poor scores, as well as a few good one's.

12. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Bob T.

It's on page 65 item #8 of the 2005 book under the 1000 target review system summary. " No shooter with a Y code may be reduced below the 24 yard line unless they are a veteran or senior veteran. this is a permenant code placed in the shooters records upon reaching the 27 yard line"

Jim

13. Setterman

tstevens, Do you shoot a hundred 27yd targets in your league, and whats your average? If not a 94 or better, you'll never make it at the 27. Shooting 100 targets takes it's toll on both mental and physical aspects of keeping it together. A lot of times your first 25-50 you might shoot lights out, then the 27 yard boogie man gets ya. Usually lack of concentration on my part

14. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Lift wts, lite squats, 10-15 lb dumbells for your deltoids and bicep-triceps, stretching for your back. One has to be in some modicum of shape B 4 one can begin to learn/improve atheletic skills. U can argue about it or try it.

15. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

Thanks Jim...I was looking in the front part under handicapping....I thought I had read it some time ago, but was unable to find it again.

Bob T.

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Ditto Pat Ireland.

WW

17. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

ROPA, my best advice is to practice LOTS, and not with schmucks but with other good shooters. And not screw around happy-go-lucky practice, serious just like it's a tournament practice.

If you’re equipment is getting the job done at Singles for you, don’t change anything (assuming your POI is high enough to work well from the fence). Shooting fast is a plus if you have it (another factor closely related to POI height). Distance is always your enemy in Trapshooting, that’s why it’s called “Handicap”. From the 27 if you’re slow they’ll get away from you quick.

And I’d say don't listen to much you hear here. While only 33' farther, rest assured it's much harder from the 27 than the 16. Heck there are good Singles shooters out there whose Handicap average drops 10 targets when they step to the 23 yard line.

Yes from the 27 the angels are smaller, but so is the target (and it's still flying all the same angles and still going 40 some MPH). But more importantly the margin for error is way smaller from back there too. You can't get away with being sloppy, you must be very precise. Because any error you make from back there is amplified by that 33'.

Sometimes you can get away with being sloppy when you're standing on the 16 yard line. You can't when you're on the 27. cls

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

southbend/Whiz- Whenever I become eligible for a reduction, I will take it. The 1.5 yard punch I got at the Grand will keep me ineligible for a reduction until August of this year. I have only earned one punch on this years card so far. It has been several years since I was offered a reduction.

Pat Ireland

19. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

I am working on a reduction. But everything I tried does not work. At the Grand last year I begged of Mr. Winston for assistance. He simply referred me to Dan McKenzie. After shooting an event with Dan we met in the Lounge. I thought possibly a bribe might work. So I ordered a very large glass of beer for him. The bar tendered accomodated. But when he went to serve it to Dan, he tripped, hit the edge of the bar with the glass, and proceeded to throw the whole thing into Dan's lap. Broken glass and all. Result, again no reduction forthcoming. But at the next Grand I am going to buy a whole picture for him.
    Will pay the bartender, in advance, how I want it delivered.

Neil, possibly you would like to join us for a beer. - Jim

20. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to shoot 27 yards frank little trap