1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

27 yard line help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by renfrow25, Jul 18, 2013.

1. renfrow25

renfrow25 Member

Looking for help with a 27 yard load. I mainly have always shot Skeet and Trap from lets say 16-20 yards tops, but last night I got talked into playing games with the regular trap shooters and was a little out of my element when we started shooting Annies from 27. I did ok but noticed for 2nd and 3rd shots guys had different loads than if they were the first shooter. I started reloading a while back and am curious what loads are good from 27 as most of mine are light loads since I usually shoot close. I would love to hear everyone's back row recipes, I had a lot of fun but at times felt like I was at a disadvantage. What is the best shot size, weight, and speed from the back row for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shots?

Thanks for the help
    renfrow25

2. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

20 (1200 f.p.s.) to 21 (1240 f.p.s.) grains Green Dot, DR figure 8 wad, 1 1/8 oz hard # 7.5, Winchester primer in a Remy hull works very well for long caps. Scott

3. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

duplicate the remington nitro/aa super handicap with 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2. works great for 2nd or third gun pickups from 27 yards. if you get farther back you might want to do something a little bigger. I have been using aa extra light 1 ounce of 8 from 27 yards and have not shot anything lower then a 22 in the last 20 rounds. Seems that you don;t need the really bug stuff motordoc

4. bigben

bigben Active Member

Should you be content with shooting 22 out of 25 fom the 27, for 20 rounds plus or whatever, that is an average of 88 which will get you a 2 yard reduction, via ATA rules, should you want to stay 27 yarder, more pellets, better shooting, whatever it takes to get to 90 plus at to keep your ATA handicap yardage. incinerate em!

5. Adam54

Adam54 Member

If your talking about killers I think the 2nd and 3rd shot after the initial person misses. I would load about 27 grains of superfield in a AA with a windjammer and win 209 primer its about 1330 I think but only for backup that initial miss. Hope that helps

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

should you want to stay 27 yarder, more pellets,

There is more pellets in an ounce of 8's than there is in a 1 1/8 ounce of 7 1/2's.

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Careful with that advice. 8s aren't going to have much energy as the 3rd shot from 27 yards. The bird will be 65 yards out when the pellets arrive.

-Gary

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The loads not as important as the POI.

9. renfrow25

renfrow25 Member

Barry are you confident in an oz of 8's at 65 yards or would 7's or 7.5's give you more confidence at that range?

10. Barry C. Roach

Depends on a lot of factors. Personally, I'd never shoot only one ounce at long yardage when you can throw an extra 1/8th oz. at them. More the shot ... more the opportunity.

Examples: Ray Stafford led the ATA in "Over All Averages" once shooting 2 3/4 dram Federal "Extra Lites" for everything. Singles, Doubles and Handicaps. I don't know what shot size(s) he used.

Devon Harris broke a hundred from the 27 at the Grand two years ago with Federal (of course) Gold Metal 2 3/4 dram, 1 1/8's. I think, not sure, that they where size 8 shot. Someone please correct me on the shot size, if I'm wrong. Then, with the same shells crushed the competition in the shoot off for the Martin $100grand.

Personally, I shoot 3 dram, 1 1/8 of 8's for handicaps but probably should go to the 2 3/4 drammers and practice what I'm preaching.

11. renfrow25

renfrow25 Member

Lol, great answer Barry! Love the honesty. I am confident enough to use the oz 8's if I'm the first shooter, its really the second or third shot that has me nervous. I wasn't sure if 8's carried enough energy out there for consistent breaks. I definitely will use 1 1/8's on the second shot, but was really asking for shot size and speeds guys would recommend. Like I said it was my first time shooting Annie's and surely there are plenty on here that play games from the back row!

12. Barry C. Roach

Sorry. I didn't read your whole post.

13. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

I like to keep the speed up on the Annie's 7 1/2's for the first and second shot then move up to 6's. when they move back some more at about the 35 yard mark use 6's for first two then 5's. If allowed locally go to 1 1/4 shot load with the larger shot. I like the super field load at 1330 some like to use long shot. PM Gary Bryant (Dr Long Shot) and get all the info you want about the games.

14. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

We start our Annies at the 32 yard line. I use 1-1/8 oz of #6 @ 1440 fps. Our shootoffs are at the 45 yd. line. I like 1 1/4 oz of #6 at 1330 fps. If you go bigger, recoil becomes a factor.I am a pretty consistent shooter with these combinations. The important part is the #6 shot for retained energy at these extreme long ranges.

Clyde

15. Carl Chadwell

Carl Chadwell TS Member

Barry,

Devon didn't break 100 from the 27, he broke 99x100. He still needs the 100 from the 27 for his Grand Slam.

peace.

Carl

16. renfrow25

renfrow25 Member

Drop all the way to 5's? Really? Dang!!!

17. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

At the clubs you shoot at are you limited to shot size and amount?

Ajax

18. renfrow25

renfrow25 Member

No limits.....I saw a couple different guys changing shells if they were 1st, 2nd, or 3rd shooter, so I know they are loaded different if they were 1st shooter or third shooter, just curious on how much differently.

19. Barry C. Roach

My bad ... he still won the bucks.

20. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

Shooting Annie's I shoot 11/4 6s at 1250 fps from 27 to the 35 or so. Move back past that I shoot 13/8 5s at 1250 fps. If its cold or we really get that trap cranked up and you get around the 60 yard line and you get into 6th & 7th shot I shoot 13/8 buffered 4s. At 1250. You don't have to shoot really hot loads to break a clay target you have to have a pattern that will hold together and a pellet size that retains energy to break it. I know the faster the you push it the more energy it produces. But are you man enough to stand behind and not get bad habits started on the hotter shells if your shooting 100 to 150 rounds in a night? It's been my experience that some people can shoot those 1350 & 1450 shells good for awhile just not all day. Before anybody gets bent outta shape if you can handle those big shells all day good for you.

Search tags for this page

cousins shot from 27 yard line

tips for shooting trap from the 27 yard line