1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

27 yard is a totally different game

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Have spent the last two years shooting from the 16 yard line.

Today shot three times from the 27 yard line.

The 27 yard line is a totally different game than the 16 yard line.

The clay target from 27 looks nothing like it does from 16.

Smoke a lot of targets from 16.

No smoke from 27.

Think we should use 1-3/8 ounce of #6 shot from the 27 yard line.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I seldom shoot 16 yards and when I do the targets look like pie pans which makes me wonder how the hell I miss them ... I shoot and smoke a lot of 27 yard targets if I'm on that day, then theres them other days and the chips count also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I wish ATA registered events would have the Handicap event first and then the Singles event. It rarely happens this way but i did shoot at one arranged this way. I shot way better on my singles after shooting Caps first. Like WPT said, the birds were huge. I honestly think my singles scores would be better.

Matt

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Most folks don't start out shooting handicap from the 27

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I always felt that doubles out to be the first event.

For some reason I shoot 27 better aster I've shot some doubles first. I shoot quick so that's probably why.

I don't like singles (a 98 or 99 gets you nothing & too much work), but love 27 and doubles.

WW

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

costs alot of money to get to the 27.....enjoy spendin' every $ on your way there.....

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'm not a 27 yarder, but I've shot it enough to know there's a reason why you don't just start back there.

And if you can't break them with 1-1/8 ounces of 7-1/2's, you're not going to break them with 1-3/8 ounces of 6's.

8. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Don't know where individual folks qualify in official ATA rolls, but everyone at our range either shoots from the 16 yard line or from the 27 yard line on the Sunday afternoon shoots.

After a big turkey shoot on Saturday and the football games scheduled on Sunday, the regular Sunday crowd was a little smaller than normal.

And the 27 yard liners and I were the only ones there.

Those 27 yard line targets look like little pencil dots compared to the targets they throw at 16 yards.

After shooting a 25 Straight at 16, missed the first 9 targets from 27 shooting from stations 5 and 1. Did hit the last ten targets though. But no smoke.

The next two relays missed a fair number but hit some too.

Think we need 40 inch barrels so the muzzle will be closer to the targets.

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

Hammer1

To get smoke you need pattern density. Leo is using a .045" constriction.

If you are using what many people use for 16's ( .020-.025") it is difficult to get smoke. If you "ride the birds", there are holes in the pattern that get bigger the further out you engage targets.

There is no "Easy button". Anyone holding a 90+ average at the 27 is a darn good shooter.

Don Verna (who is stuck on the 25 due to lack of skill)

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

With the right shells and enough choke you should easily be able to smoke targets from the fence-but those golden BB hits always help your score!!

11. shelly

shelly TS Member

Hammer, what makes you think that some 27 yard shooters don't already use 1 3/8 oz or #6s?

12. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

"Leo is using a .045" constriction."

"...there are holes in the pattern that get bigger the further out you engage targets."

Leo is also using a Beretta DT-10.

Maybe this is all I need to prove to my doubting wife that I need another new shotgun.

Pretty certain that no one makes a choke that tight for any gun I already have.

As for those holes, I had my mind on individual pellet energy. I could fill those holes with #9 shot and a denser pattern.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good luck with that 9 shot at 27 yds.

14. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Well, maybe #8½ shot...

But I ought to at least get a new shotgun out of this.

15. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

It's not a different game, just a more precise game. By the time you earn your way there (the 27yd line), you should have developed the ability to hit more then you miss. Getting there can sometimes be fast & easy..staying there may prove to be the true challenge.

Big Jack

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I actually shot a box of light 9's from the 27 yardline when I was shooting a lot and missed the last target for a 24 (lots of chips) ... I wouldn't want to try to do that every day but that day it worked ... I was shooting a Model 12 that I was going to buy from a guy and though I did buy the gun only to have my wife make it her gun, so it was back to searching for another gun for me ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

First year of ATA shooting for me I broke a 99 in the Vandalia Handicap with 3 dram 8½'s. I've been on the 27 since that time; well a year later.

Now, I only shoot Nitro 8's, or Federal Paper Handicap 8's. I rarely use 7½, unless that's all I can buy. I smoke targets, but I shoot VERY fast.

Up here in SD, however, we have little humidity, well 35% is high for us, but we do fight the wind constantly. Probably why the B1 bomber base is here...easy to lift off in this wind.

My philosophy is that most shooters shoot too tight of chokes and too heavy of shot. But's that's just me...

IMHO.

WW

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

"It's not a different game, just a more precise game." (Big Jack)

I agree, and it's the the same deal regardless of the yardage. It's the same game as 16's, it's just progressively more precise and less forgiving the farther back you go.

John C. Saubak

19. RDM

RDM TS Member

I used to shoot with a guy that only uses #9 shot and he was on the 27yd line. He didn't miss very much and his targets was usually dust. All in what you get used to.

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I wish it were just a matter of using a heavier load. The hard truth is that it is a matter of precision - just a simple matter of being able to center that shot pattern on the target every time. A whole lot easier said than done but it is fun trying!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.