1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

27 yard, 1145 or 1200 ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by backfenceata, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. backfenceata

backfenceata TS Member

Any one use the 1145s on ATA long yardage , with any success ? Kirk

2. Kent

Kent TS Member

I think I fully demostrated to you how well they work when we shot together at Sparta a week ago Sunday. LOL or CIMB (which means crying in my beer)

3. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

greg hissem told me he shoots 1145's from the back fence

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt you'll be able to tell the difference.

Hauxfan!

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I want to shoot 1 1/8 oz of 7.5 shot at 1200 ft/sec from the 27 yard line. But, last week I miscounted my shells and had to shoot a box of my 16 yard load (1 1/8 oz #8 at 1145 ft/sec.) at handicap. I could not tell a difference in the way the shells broke targets.

But, I plan to continue using the heaver shells for handicap. My confidence in the shells is more important than the actual shell performance. I have convinced myself that the faster shell might pick up one or two targets in a 100 bird race. The slower shells might actually function as well as the faster shells, but if I believe the slower shells might cost me one bird, they will actually most likely cost me several birds. My confidence in my shells could be more important than how the shells preform.

Pat Ireland

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

7-1/2's, 1-1/8th oz., 1250 fps. Imp. Mod. choke.

Curt

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

It's been my experience that the slower throw a better pattern....but there is more confidence with the hotter shells.

tony

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

Have you discussed this matter with your psychiatrist? HMB

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The above URL takes you to very informative chart on the Shotgun Sports Magazine website. Among the statistics therein are the times-of-flight for clay target shot sizes at clay target-shooting speeds to various distances. If you compare the flight times to even 60 yards of 1,150 and 1,200 FPS loads, I think you'll agree that neither you nor your targets can probably tell which load you're using. Or, to paraphrase a famous old commercial, "Only your shoulder knows for sure..."

By the way, that chart prints out nicely and makes a good resource when framed and hung on your gun room wall.

Ed

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The speed that works the best from the 27 is 1080fps. This load is below the speed of sound, and is not disturbed by the turbulence caused by passing through the sound barrier. HMB

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I know a number of 25 through 27 yarders who shoot nothing but 2 3/4 dram, 1 1/8 oz factory shells and I'd take their scores as mine much of the time......breakemall....Bob Dodd

12. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

take a few pebbles in your hand and toss them gently under hand and then take a like number and throw them over hand as hard asa possible, the slower toss holds together better.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

there is a lot of difference from the back fence and the 27. The back fence at our club is over 40 yards. I use 1350 ft per sec and I agree with Pat, it may be in my head but it gives me confidence. Especially when one of the guys I just put out complains my shells are too fast Ha

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

yes you can hit a target at handicap with any speed shell, as well as throwing rocks at a target. but there is a reason there are speed limits and size of shot limits!!!! shoot 100 targets at 25 to 27 yard handicap with 1145 and 1200 fps loads. do the same with size 8 and 7 1/2 size shoot, see if there is a differnce? years ago, a member of the wisconsin state trap team was watching a well known all american shooter shoot 27 yd handicap at the florida chain. this same shooter was promoting 2 3/4 dram loads and size 8 shoot in his articles from long yardage. the wisconsin shooter saw the boxes of shells he was usuing and they were all 3 dram 7 1/2's. when the all american finished shooting, he said all your articles promoted the use of 2 3/4 dram 8 shot, how come your using 3 dram 7 1/2's? he said come on so and so, you know you promote what they give you. my opinion, if you don't have a recoil problem, stick to 3 dram 7 1/2s at long yardage handicap.
    steve balistreri

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I've proved to myself over time that I break just as many targets with the 1145 fps. load as a 1200 fps.

Two outstanding KS shooters use the 1145 fps speed, Greg Hissem and Ron Watson. Ron also uses 8's. Look up their averages.

Many years ago when the so called ex lite concept was in vogue, many of the all americans used them from the 27 yd and still broke the 99's and 100's there. Moral of the story is that if you have confidence in what your using then it will break the target. But someone will always be around to tell you what is better!

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

PBB, it's all in what you get used to timing wise. It is tough the change from one speed your used to because of personal timing to the target. Slow or fast will break clays. Hap

17. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I've not been shooting trap long and can't explain why but I can take a low powered shell and break maybe 15 from the 27 but can take a highpowered shell using same shot(7 1/2) and break 22. I'm only guessing but it seems to me that the lead is different! I'm sure some of you may be laughing by now but that's the way it is with me. Jackie B.

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Look at the chart. 7 1/2's going 1145fps takes .144 seconds to get to a 40 yard target. Same load going 1240fps takes .136 seconds. The difference in drop of shot in 50 yards is 7.1 inches compared to 6.5 inches. I don't think you will notice .008 seconds of speed loss, or 6/10ths of an inch drop, but you will notice the recoil. Like Pat said, it's a confidence thing? What about a strong side wind?

19. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I like 1200 ft/sec for Handicap but I have on occasion broken a good score with Super Handicaps but I find that sooner or later the excess recoil with those shells takes its toll with the phenom called lifting the head off the stock.

20. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

There is no difference...and NO ONE can perceive a difference of 3-5 MILLISECONDS! Like Pat said though, if you THINK the faster loads are an advantage, then they ARE. Most shooters have been convinced that the slower loads are a detriment, so they are, for them.... because they are thinking, (worrying) about the loads while shooting , instead of thinking about breaking the target!
    I've shot 100 twice from the 27 with light loads, so I think that the heavy loads are not an advantage...therefore they are not...(for me)!
    Use what YOU are most confident with.
    Walt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1200 fps shells from the 27 yard linehandicap