1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

$27 Million Bird

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by flyfishinfool, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

Well, the U.S. Fish & Wildlife just announced that they intend on funding a $27 Million study on the Ivory Billed Woodpecker. Now, first of all, you have to remember that I am an avid birder and truely wish the IBW still existed. But the top ten (10) reasons this is crazy are :

10. The first guy to supossedly see the IBW here in Arkansas can't tell the difference between a Downy Woodpecker and a Boat Tailed Grackle. Believe me. I know him.

9. The only "proof" is a fuzzy video that showed a large woodpecker with an unusual amount of white coloration

8.They have documented both an albino Pileated and a partial albino Pileated Woodpecker in the vicinity

7. The last documented sightings were in the 1940's on the Singer Tract in Louisiana. At the time the biologist referred to the bird as gragarious, loud and easily found if they are in the area

6. Cornell University and others claim that "over the last 60 years the bird has evolved into some sort of quiet, secretive bird" Sort of like a witness under protective order on a mob case. Nonsense.

5. The bird only eats large larva that is present in dying or dead hardwoods in large wet acreage type tracts.

4. The reason that there are no more large spanses of dead hardwood is that modern foresters are doing a good job of keeping trees alive by managing the water level

3. To create a natural habitat for the IBW the Nature Conservancy is buying large tracts of wet hardwoods and actually girdling the trees to kill them.

And the countdown continues.

#2 reason this is crazy because all this money will be spent in an area that is poor with sub-standard schools and infrastructure.

And the #1 reason is:

IT DOESN'T EXIST. SIMPLE AS THAT

And keep in mind this $27 Million doesn't include what has already been spent by the USFWS as well as the State of Arkansas and private funds such as the Nature Conservancy.

Only a skeet shooter or a Democrat can possibly find any logic in any of this.

Dan

2. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Dan see if you can get appointed to head up that study and I will help you for a mere 2 million and we will find him if he's out there!

3. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

rooferbob - I already have a jump on you.

I have a patent pending on a tool that I designed through a collaborative effort with Black & Decker.

It is called the Black & Decker Pecker Checker

They sell for $629.99 and have pre-sold 10,000 of these to the feds

I am, however, offering a smaller and slightly less accurate unit to the public for only $134.99.

You will find it at your local hardware store before Christmas.

Batteries not included.

Dan

4. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Dan, sounds like a magnifier and tweezers would work just as well.... never mind, wrong pecker.

5. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

There are suppose to be some in Cuba.

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

You should never equate anyone involved in a shooting sport with a Democrat.

7. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

how but 27 million for a woodcock program? I can do that one.

8. skeet100

skeet100 Member

quote "Only a skeet shooter or a Democrat can possibly find any logic in any of this. "

Up to that point you had a good arguememnt going. Now I think you are a cry baby vs. a well informed citizen.

You need to learn when to quit writing.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Dan- Most likely this question will, over a few years, result in close to 100 million dollars expended by governments. That money will come from you and me. This is a sad story for the Ivory Billed and for us.

Pat Ireland

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The government pig has many titties. Sometimes if one can't be found, a new one has to be created. You just clamp on and suck real hard.............

HM

11. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

This study will just be a gathering of peckerwoods that will turn into a big cluster pecking.

If the USF&W can afford to waste money on this bull crap, They need a budget cut and somebody needs to be fired. Probably just another good old boy pay back scheme that taxpayers are funding.

Jim

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Find the surviving woodpecker and just shoot it. Then there's no question about it being extinct and then there'd be no reason to spend the money on the habitat. That's called "putting some lead in your pecker".

13. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

I think this is sad and sadly very political.
    You watch they find out that it is not a Ivory Bill. Then the people that claim the bird is out there should be publically hung!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.