1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

264 Win Mag?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Had a Remington 721 chambered in 264 Win Mag in the early 60's. Never hunted with it. Just wondering what kind of game could you successful hunt with this cartridge?

Lou

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

All but the grizz and Brown bears. It will work for them too but I want more thump on somthing that can kill me so easily.

HM

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Hopefully your gun has a 26" barrel.

Using premium, heavier bullets will work best with your 264. Although eclipsed by the 7mm Rem Mag, the 264 has its niche.

This caliber fouls the throat very quickly. Make sure you have proper bore cleaning techniques. Also, it is NOT a plinker. Bore life is not the best, so make every round count!

4. d endicott

d endicott Member

I have one that is a 264-300 ackley imp. One of my favorite guns. Have killed moose, elk about everything. It is a great long range rifle with low recoil, even with a 160 bullet.

5. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

I have 2 264 mag. both are built on the 03 mauser recievers. both have douglas barrels, both barrels are 24 inches, I shoot a 129 grain hornady bullet in both of them. both guns are fitted with custom stocks one blonde laminated, and a grey laminated. both crony over 3100 fps. on white tail deer it will put them down, altho I dont use them for hunting any more, I still take them to the rifle range every year, I would hate to guess how many shots have fired threw thease guns. they are still tack drivers. I think this cal. was devolped from from the 458

6. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

my error 26 inch barrels

7. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I had a Ruger 77 Stainless I bought new in 2002. I shot 15 whitetails with it using eveything from factory 140's to 85 grain hollow point reloads. I had one of those deer drop on the spot the rest wold usually run a little ways but I never Lost any. Ammo got up to $38 a box and I could never get good groups out of this gun, about 2" at 100 yards and thinking it was me I let other people try it and they could'nt get any better groups either. I like the .264 but I recently traded mine for a 25-06 and will probably never own another one. Good caliber but I think you can do the same Job with a .270 and cheaper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.