1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

26 yard Handicap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by spitter, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I came into possession of an undated pamphlet from Remington Peters, with a contact address of Bridgeport 2, Connecticut... and promotes the A100T trap machine... and discusses 26 yd handicap as the farthest yardage...

[​IMG]

Can any Remington aficionado give me an approx date on this piece?!

Thanks in advance

Jay

2. Hauser

Hauser Member

Jay

The maximum yardage was changed from 25 to 27 yards in 1955. It would be interesting to see what Remington said about the 26 yard line in order to narrow the date of the publication.

Jerry Hauser

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Remington purchased the Chamberlain Trap and Target Co. in 1933, and started making the Expert and Blue Rock throwers.

They also bought Peters Cartridge out in 1934.

Wayne

4. spitter

Jerry:

While I suppose it could be a typo... it is interesting that no 27 yard line is mentioned within the entire document... some additional scans...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

regards all,

Jay

5. Bigbird

Bigbird TS Member

My guess would be the gun barrel would be close to 26 yards when fired.

6. Hauser

Hauser Member

Jay

The handicap was increased from 25 to 27 "in the beginning of the 1955 season" according to the hall of fame web-site. I assume the start of the shooting season was sometime in 1954.

Merele Stockdale became the first to reach the 27 yard line on February 12th 1955.

Based on the information you posted from the pamphlet that lacks any mention of the 27 yard line I would guess the pamphlet was published sometime in 1954 before Merele Stockdale established that record.

Jerry Hauser

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Zip Codes were implemented in 1963, and the code was known a year, prior, so 1962 would be your limiting date.

I have seen a version of that pamphlet from the 30s, and judging from the mis-reference of 26yds, my guess is the pamphlet was updated sporadically, as Remington ran out and this was an 'ongoing update' printed before the final rules were approved ... 1954?

Bob

8. spitter

Roger...

Sure. Send me a PM with contact/shipping information... it may take a few days before I can make a copy of the pamphlet...

You might also appreciate a couple other pieces I have as part of my archives... although I'm not sure I can duplicate the larger pieces

Trapshooting Ground Layout from pre-1949, which shows plans for trap house and pull stand... with specific dimensions... approx. 18" square...

Layout of Skeet Field and Traphouses... approx 36" square, dated June 1948

Double Sided - Trapshooting Ground Layout and Instructions for Model 41 (on one side) with Auto Angling Model 41 parts guide, price list and directions for operating (on reverse)

Remington Trap and Skeet Equipment (blue folder) with Yellow Blue Rock target on the cover, 24 pages... in quite nice condition

These were all given to me by a long-time fellow member... all in an original Remington Arms Company envelope with postage applied and postmarked October 8, 1949 Bridgeport Conn. personally addressed to my club...

These were some of the original documents received and subsequently used to developed our range...

Let me know if you're familiar with these pieces as well...

Jay

9. 870compman

870compman TS Member

One year at Hillsboro GC (Oregon), They made Darro Handy shoot at the 30yrd line for his handycap. It didn't seem to bother him. Later I saw him counting his winnings and cleaning his shotgun.

Dale Wolff

10. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

I have a trap field layout that Chuck Elton at Golden West Gave me that is 26 yards and based on a pull pipe trap. I don't know the date

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

12. spitter

If you can put up a scan of one of the charts, etc... I'd be interested to compare it to what is in my guide, which if similiar, may help to explain or clarify that they were only using 26 yards as an example, not as the maximum yardage...

Jay

13. Hauser

Hauser Member

80 fps is 54mph which is 11 miles/hour faster than todays recommendation.

Where did the 80fps number come from???

I completed a study several years back and can confirm 43mph is the speed required to throw a 9ft target 50 yards.

Jerry Hauser

14. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

How would the target setters have measured 80 fps so many years ago?

Charlie

15. Simon Engraving

Simon Engraving Active Member

the a100t trap machine the machine with the aoto indexing plate when machine threw a bird it ratched to a new position. no contiung back and forth motion. same machine for skeet but no auto indexing ratchet plate. old but great great machines. i know cause have 1 in back yard.

16. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

I have a nearly identical Handbook with the zip code 06602.......and yes, it also has that same 26 yard number.

To help identify the one I have, on the back it has "Form No.. GT13 Rev.73

17. spitter

Zardozforty and Dark Horse... I can confirm the page information and my booklet has the same form number GT13... oooh - "a First Edition"

Simon... the last page of my pamphlet promotes the A100T... "this new fully automatic Remington trap eliminates the cost and inconvenience of trapboys..." (lol... I'd like it to load itself too...) and, since you own one... if you know - can you approximate when Remington introduced these traps so I may be able to get a better idea of when my undated booklet was published...

Guys, continued thanks for assisting in solving my "mystery"

Jay

18. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I don't think it discusses 26 yard as the farthest yardage at all. All it is doing is providing data on target flight at certain selected yardages. There never was a max of 26 yards and some of you are reading more into this thing than it is worth.

As far as the 80fps speed... probably not worth the paper it's printed on. Probably the writer just made a WAG and nobody ever challenged it.

19. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

charleyj10'

An answer to your question.

THE VELOCITY OF PROJECTILES
    Henry A. Sinclair’s Lecture Before the New York Electrical Society

The New York Electrical Society had a very interesting session Feb. 25, at its rooms in the Cooper Union. Henry A. Sinclair, who occupies the position of electrician of the United States Ordinance Proving Ground at Sandy Hook, exhibited the instruments used for ascertaining the velocity of a projectile, and practically exhibited the working of the device by a test on the velocity of a pistol ball. Having first read the history of attempts in the past to solve the problem of measuring the velocity of very fast moving objects, such as bullets and shots, Mr. Sinclair set up a machine, and then taking a Colt’s revolver fired a bullet into one end of a long coffin-shaped box.
    [ SPORTING LIFE, March 4, 1885, page 9 ]

Whatever is being discussed today was also discussed back in the 1800's (ie: target speed, lowering shot & powder charges in shells, Amateur vs Pro, sandbagging, dropping for place, need for harder targets, need for easier targets, one eye or two, etc.)

As I recall, shotshell speed in the later 1890's was just below 900 fps.

Hope this helps,

Kenny Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.